Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Ruthless? You don't know the meaning of the word, sir!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ruthless? You don't know the meaning of the word, sir!
    If I was going to try again, at least I know next time to get it through to bill it ahead of time as "Pip and Jane's lost masterpiece". He he he!

It's nice to see this - it does sum up his Doctor Who Confidential persona. I kind of tried to avoid Confidential, as he comes over a bit smug from it.

This book should help to dispel the popular misconception of Davies as some kind of big gay Laughing Cavalier, the man forever booming, “Marvellous!” on Doctor Who Confidential.
    Mind you, you've got to have faith and pride in your work, otherwise what's the point?

I read a bit of the excerpts in The Times last night, and I have to say I didn't quite know what to make of it. I got the impression that by season 4 he's got a bit fed up with it, or at least doesn't get the same joy from working on Who - which is fair enough after being in any job for several years I suppose.

or at least doesn't get the same joy from working on Who - which is fair enough after being in any job for several years I suppose
    I guess thats why he's leaving. There's that quote from Tegan in Ressurection isn't there, about stopping if its not fun anymore, but I can't be bothered to look it up.

I've just reserved it from the library

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Damn - I need to do that! Although I suspect the Hampshire library are gonna have trouble getting it as their computer system is down until late October.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was going to borrow it from the library but as I'm meeting RTD next month it'd be nice to get him to sign it

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Right I've done that. My library were planning to not get it in. I'm betting Si Harts two libraries will be the first two in to country to have it on their self.

The librarian thinks it's crazy they've not ordered it in, as the Doctor Who titles are proving kind of popular. She then went all girly silly on me when I tried to order "The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn", asking if I could spell any of that, or I was just teasing her!!!

Incidentally, the 'why don't his leg and his foot line up' mystery is solved - there's a colour picture in DWM which clearly shows that he's wearing a long black scarf, which is partially obscuring the view of his trouser legs.

Phew, we can now all sleep at nights...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Right I've done that. My library were planning to not get it in. I'm betting Si Harts two libraries will be the first two in to country to have it on their self.

The librarian thinks it's crazy they've not ordered it in, as the Doctor Who titles are proving kind of popular. She then went all girly silly on me when I tried to order "The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn", asking if I could spell any of that, or I was just teasing her!!!
    Well, all I can say is Bracknell Libraries currently have two copies on order!

I've never heard of anyone flirting using Solzhenitsyn before.... that's a new one on me!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Well, all I can say is Bracknell Libraries currently have two copies on order!

I've never heard of anyone flirting using Solzhenitsyn before.... that's a new one on me!
    Yes I told her Great Hollands is the Sci-Fi Mecca of libraries. It even looks like a Federation fortress from Blake's 7!

Well obviously yesterday was "tease a librarian with a difficult to spell book". She asked me first for the author, "Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn" ... okay could I spell that? No. Okay what about the title then? "The Gulag Archipelago". Was I doing this on purpose ... why don't we just try "Gulag" and see what we get ...

Poor girl - she was asked by her boss to leave her keys somewhere for "the vault". "But I'm in tomorrow". Her boss told her that if anything were to be happen to her, like she got hit by a bus, it's inconvenience customers tomorrow. That's dedication for you!

I think to be honest it was 6:15pm, and librarians go into silly season once they're into their last hour of shift.

I think to be honest it was 6:15pm, and librarians go into silly season once they're into their last hour of shift.
    We don't go into silly season, we just tend to stop!

Si xx

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Well obviously yesterday was "tease a librarian with a difficult to spell book". She asked me first for the author, "Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn" ... okay could I spell that? No. Okay what about the title then? "The Gulag Archipelago". Was I doing this on purpose ...
    To paraphrase Private Frazer from Dad's Army: T-H-E....

Depending on how clever the system is, you could always have tried to find Solzhenitsyn from another title ("August 1914" sounds more like her level) and Gulag Archipelago from there.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Depending on how clever the system is, you could always have tried to find Solzhenitsyn from another title ("August 1914" sounds more like her level) and Gulag Archipelago from there.
    She was lovely - we went with just "Gulag" and found the book I needed. She was in a very chatty mood. I think I bring out chatty in people, esp in the last hour of work, when your boss probably wants you to put all the returned books back on the shelf!

I went and bought this in town this morning and have just finished reading it. It's tremendous - insightful, at times witty, painfully honest and absolutely captivating. It probably won't do much for anyone who isn't already interested in how television is made, but if you do have even a passing interest in what goes into making a show behind the scenes, then this is a must-buy.
    Last edited by Paul Hayes; 20th Sep 2008 at 8:42 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Sounds good then. I think one of the best behind the scenes books I've ever read is The Making Of Star Trek - which is an old book now, but very insightful.

Will be interesting to find how it compares. Oh I'm thinking about buying it now. But if I buy it I won't be able to "flirt" with my local librarian ... decisions decisions ...

Borrow it, flirt with your local librarian, and if you think the book seems good enough for it to be worthwhile when you're reading it, buy it as well later on.

Mind you, the footnotes are bloody ridiculous, and appear to come from a mind that has drastically misjudged the book's buyers - oh so that's who the Daleks are, is it? Thanks for reminding me of that.

I've read it, it's bloomin' brilliant!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've uploaded an interview with RTD at Cheltenham:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1mu8Jjn_Y

WhiteCrow Guest

I still waiting for my library to decide if they're going to get this in.

I might have to try to join Si's library on the sly.

Quote Originally Posted by Allllie View Post
    I've read it, it's bloomin' brilliant!
    Do they have "I watched the series, I read the book, I stalked the writer" T-shirts printed???

My library seem to have changed their minds on thsi one as well. Its in the system but there are no copies anywhere.

WhiteCrow Guest

Whilst Si's library has two copies. I hope the people of Great Hollands appreciate it.

Maybe it's still on order Paul. Our catalogue always lists items before they've actually arrived and doesn't show copies until they're in. As it happens we've yet to have The Writer's Tale arrive too, and I have heard there's another print run on the way as it's sold rather better than anyone expected it to.

Si xx

That'll be it then. Either that or they're only stocking it in Surrey's prisons.

What's all this about borrowing from libraries?

You ungrateful skin-flints!

Yes libraries are wonderful institutions and should be preserved but this book is from the man who, more than anyone HAS GIVEN US OUR DOCTOR BACK!

Surely that's worth parting with a few bob to say thanks!