Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Talk on Roobarbs suggests that a large percentage of Doctor Who fans could do with a swift kick in the happy sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Talk on Roobarbs suggests that a large percentage of Doctor Who fans could do with a swift kick in the happy sacks.
    So nothing new there, then?

And sadly too, there are also many fans who fail to grasp the notion that he could have brought it back differently than he did and still made it a success.
    The key word being 'could'. The success he has acheived is fact, saying "it would have been just as successful if..." is nothing but conjecture.

Si.

As is the claim that it was in reply to.

Or, to put it more specifically, it's a pointless opposition. There's no need to feel obliged to take a position of believing that the only options were either to do it "like it was" (which is a virtually meaningless statement when it's put as vaguely as that anyway - could mean almost anything) or as Russell T Davies did it. The episodes produced are the only ones we can assess as regards how well or otherwise they did. With something that didn't happen, it's impossible to say, so it's unprovable either way ("either way" being the operative bit for me).
    Last edited by Logo Polish; 21st May 2008 at 8:40 PM.

Which is why getting a new team behind the show is a good thing, because they can try and do it a different way and see if it is still as successful. RTD found a good way of doing it, and one that's worked very, very well for the most part (IMO of course, I'd hate to force that opinion as fact) but it time for a change... whether Steven Moffat's version of the show is going to be as popular remains to be seen.

Remember we had an outpouring of love similar to this when it was announced RTD was taking the show on. How long will it be before fans are saying it's not as good as the RTD era? Not too long I'd wager... That's the nature of DW fandom as I see it, many fans never like the way the show is produced. There's always a better way of doing it, always something different it should, could or would be done... When the Hinchcliffe era was shown it wasn't as good as Troughton, when Williams was in charge it wasn't as good as Letts, when JNT took it on it wasn't as good as Hinchcliffe... it's the same cycle round and round.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last three years. There's been some great Doctor Who and some dull Doctor Who but no outright bad Doctor Who (IMO again) and I'm glad RTD has done the show. There's been much to admire and while I know it hasn't appealed to every fan (but when does it ever) I think the good has largely outweighed the bad. It's certainly been one of my favourite eras, up with Williams and early JNT.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

OK - I'm probably going off on one here, but Moffat has probably been lined up to be producer for a while now.

Hence his winning all the awards and plaudits for Blink and it's overshadowing of Human Nature.

RTD has hyped up the new series episodes to an extent over the past four years, but Moffat has been given lots of hype recently. Russell's comments about the library story have painted it as the only episodes of the season worth tuning in for. "Shadows, Library, I'm scared already!" Whatever.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Hence his winning all the awards and plaudits for Blink
    Face it, it's good!!

Si.

Well I don't think it's the be all and end all of the last series. Human Nature was far better.

Si xx

I agree! Although I do like Blink (sorry, it's true)!

I'd just like to say I agree with Si (Hart) above. He's expressed just how I feel perfectly.

Face it, it's good!!
    Face it, it's rubbish!!

Actually it's OKish, about as good as The Doctor's Daughter.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's true, it's possibly one of the least unexpected announcements since the seris returned, but it's still excellent news. The Moff has produced some of the most memorable, most scary and most popular episodes, and I can't wait to see where he takes the series.

I'll miss RTD, as his contribution to 'Doctor Who' has been immeasurable. I do hope he returns to write the odd episode or two

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Well I don't think it's the be all and end all of the last series. Human Nature was far better.

Si xx

I'd certainly agree with that - but the one thing you can't deny about Moffatt, is that unlike all of the regular writers his stories (so far) have all been consistantly top quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I'll miss RTD, as his contribution to 'Doctor Who' has been immeasurable. I do hope he returns to write the odd episode or two

Think it would be great if RTD, continued to write the christmas specials .

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I'd certainly agree with that - but the one thing you can't deny about Moffatt, is that unlike all of the regular writers his stories (so far) have all been consistantly top quality stuff.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, if you've been paying attention to what I've been saying. That's just your (and possibly the majority of fandoms opinion) but it is something I can deny.
    I've consistently enjoyed the stories by Mark Gattiss, Paul Cornell and Gareth Roberts and have found them more "consistently top quality stuff" than Moffatt's stories. But I wonder why I even bother saying this. Perhaps I'll just let you get on with it, I'm obviously don't feel the same, so I'll just shut up.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily true, if you've been paying attention to what I've been saying. That's just your (and possibly the majority of fandoms opinion) but it is something I can deny.
    I've consistently enjoyed the stories by Mark Gattiss, Paul Cornell and Gareth Roberts and have found them more "consistently top quality stuff" than Moffatt's stories. But I wonder why I even bother saying this. Perhaps I'll just let you get on with it, I'm obviously don't feel the same, so I'll just shut up.

Si xx
    ah but wouldn't P.S be a boring old place if everybody had the same opinion and agreed on every thing .

One thing that occurs to me is that there's no reason why Steve Moffatt has to write the bulk of each series is there? He could continue with just writing his one episode per season or whatever and let other writers contribute the rest.

Sorry not answering any particular thing there, its just something I thought of.

I guess that because Doctor Who is a full-time job, he'd be less tied up with other projects (though has anyone wondered where his commitment to the series of Tintin films fits into this?) and, as a writer, he'd probably still want to keep his hand in with four or five scripts per year.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I can deny that. I think the three Cornell episodes have outshined everything.

To me, Father's Day is still the peak the new series has achieved.

Make way for a naval officer!

Plus being head writer, it's probably down to him to fill in scripts when others fall through.

Si xx

just out of interest has it been mentioned who his side kicks are going to be we know Collinson, has left and Julie Gardener is probably going to follow to. So assuming that Sussie Liggat will take over Collinsons job will any body be taking over from Gardiner, if there is I'd like the bloke who did Life on Mars as the 3rd member of the team.

if there is I'd like the bloke who did Life on Mars as the 3rd member of the team.
    What? You mean Matthew Graham, writer of 'Fear Her'? Or perhaps they could just employ Gene Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    What? You mean Matthew Graham, writer of 'Fear Her'? Or perhaps they could just employ Gene Hunt.

that's the bloke - and after the fantastic job he did with Life on Mars I reckon he and the Moff could be a reakl dream team.

as for Gene Hunt, Philip Glenister, as The Doctor, now that would be fun.

Well he'll be rubbish. He was no good managing Arsenal, what use as a script editor?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    (though has anyone wondered where his commitment to the series of Tintin films fits into this?)
    Si.
    I know that he has already handed in his script for the first film & I'm not sure if he was contracted to do more than that.