Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Matthew Graham needs to be kept well away from Doctor Who - "Fear Her" is probably the worst episode since the series returned.

I really liked it!!! For me New Earth is the only real stinker we've had (although it's so long since I've seen it that I might love it next time I watch it).

On the subject of Moffat, I wouldn't necessarily say he's got an unassailable record - I'm not a huge fan of The Girl in the Fireplace personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    just out of interest has it been mentioned who his side kicks are going to be we know Collinson, has left and Julie Gardener is probably going to follow to. So assuming that Sussie Liggat will take over Collinsons job will any body be taking over from Gardiner, if there is I'd like the bloke who did Life on Mars as the 3rd member of the team.
    It doesn't work like that. The other Exec will be the head of Drama.

Make way for a naval officer!

Surely, as Rob pointed out on the previous page, we already know that Piers Wenger (new head of Drama) is Julie's successor - it was in DWM a couple or three issues back.

In all this, I'm just a bit disappointed that they announced Moffat's appointment at the same time as they announced RTD's departure. I was hoping for a few weeks of "and the new showrunner could be a woman" type speculation.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    "The Moff"
    Of course the biggest shame of all is that Moffat's name isn't 'Muffet'.

Or Mary Hinge...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    In all this, I'm just a bit disappointed that they announced Moffat's appointment at the same time as they announced RTD's departure. I was hoping for a few weeks of "and the new showrunner could be a woman" type speculation.

not forgetting the usual proffits of doom over on O.G saying Doctor Who, is now going to vbe axed by the BBC.

It does kind of put paid to Ian Levine's 'guaranteed true from a trustworthy source' idea that the production team and Tenant would all quit and the show would come to an end after the 4th year. Although I'm sure he's telling everyone that he was right.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    It does kind of put paid to Ian Levine's 'guaranteed true from a trustworthy source' idea that the production team and Tenant would all quit and the show would come to an end after the 4th year. Although I'm sure he's telling everyone that he was right.
    Apart from anything else, Moffatt has quite a good standing in television now and a balanced CV with drama, comedy and both his own and other people's projects. By taking on the show-runner's job, he's taken himself off the market for the next couple of years and could potentially miss out on other writing and producing jobs (not to mention having to put his own projects on the back burner) if he were to lend his name to the kind of ruse that IL envisages.

I'm not a big fan of what RTD did to Doctor Who so Season 5 will be the first season I've looked forward to since season 1 in 2005. Moffatt will hopefully be a lot better.

-Andy
    Foolish humans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

well be fair he Mr Levine, is at least half right - although I think it has been pretty obvious the production team were allgoing to leave sooner or later.

Best news I've heard in a long time

Rumours abound that Neil Gaiman has been asked to contribute a script for the forthcoming first Moffatt season... Great news, if it's true...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Who is he Si?

Si.

He's one of the most imaginative fantasy writers there is! He wrote the novel Stardust which was turned into a film last year, wrote Neverwhere for TV and was created the Sandman comics, which apparently are regarded as pretty damn classy.

He'd be a great writer for the show.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That is good news!

Although I suppose we'll have to spend the next year trying to convince Doctor Who fans that a) he is a well-respected and famous writer and b) that his writing for Doctor Who is a good thing.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I reckon a lot of Doctor Who will know who he is. That is good news although some of Gaiman's tv stuff is not too brilliant. His Babylon 5 episode for example.

And Si, if you've never read the Sandman comics I recommend them very highly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    He's one of the most imaginative fantasy writers there is! He wrote the novel Stardust which was turned into a film last year, wrote Neverwhere for TV and was created the Sandman comics, which apparently are regarded as pretty damn classy.

He'd be a great writer for the show.

Si xx
    I just read that news on Aint It Cool, it seems like whilst it's not 100% confirmed, a lot of people think it'll definitely happen. I'd be overjoyed to see him contribute an episode or two per season as well, like you Si I really love him as a writer, especially the utterly fantastic Stardust and Anansi Boys. His Death graphic novel, The High Cost of Living, is brilliant as well, and definitely worth getting hold of (and I'm not saying that just because I'm selling it on ebay right now! )

I've slightly mixed feelings about The Sandman, I think the first 40 issues or so are some of the best comics ever written, but it became a bit uneven after that, even if there are some absolute gems later on in the run. But like Paul, I'd definitely recommend you read it if you like his other stuff, the graphic novels are normally quite cheap on ebay (though alas I'm not selling any of those at the moment!)
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Well I'd give him the time of day anyway, Neverwhere and Good Omens are fine books. If he were used (and the BBC could afford him!) we might just get something worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Rumours abound that Neil Gaiman has been asked to contribute a script for the forthcoming first Moffatt season... Great news, if it's true...

Si xx
    It seems Robert Shearman has been asked back too.

-Andy
    Foolish humans

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mateen View Post
    It seems Robert Shearman has been asked back too.

-Andy
    HURRAH!!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne Guest

Dunno if this has been mentioned anywhere, but:

No RTD scripts under Moffat.

Now that you have handed control to Steven Moffat, do you intend to leave him to it, or will you write the occasional episode in the future?

I think Steven's more than his own man. He doesn't need me at all. I won't write for it in the future. I'm done with it. It's time to move on and I'd hate to be just a ghost haunting the corridors that I used to walk. And who needs me? Because Steve's brilliant and they've got a thousand million plans. I'll just be old news and it's about time.
    Maybe he doesn't fancy his work being edited or added to?

The Mail on Sunday newspaper in the United Kingdom is running a news story titled 500,000 pounds Mr Spielberg? Sorry, I've got a date with the Beeb, says the new Dr Who writer, in which it claims that incoming Doctor Who executive producer and chief writer Steven Moffat turned down a lucrative deal to write the second instalment of the new Tintin film franchise in order to take over the running of Doctor Who.

Moffat tells the Mail that he had originally signed up to write the first two Tintin films of the planned trilogy, to be directed by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson. However, after completing the first film, Moffat was offered his new position with Doctor Who, and pulled out of the deal.

"I was offered the Doctor Who job and accepted immediately," Moffat is quoted as telling the paper. "I hope you won't make what happened sound too dramatic. I talked to Steven and he understood completely. I could not work on the second Tintin film and work on Doctor Who. So I chose Doctor Who. Steven is a fan and he understood my passion for the series completely."

"There are no bad feelings between Spielberg and me, but Doctor Who has to come before Hollywood."

Moffat further adds that current executive producer and chief writer Russell T Davies is working on four specials, and then Moffat will take over the running of the series.

Pip Madeley Guest

Moffatt's given an interview:

http://io9.com/5028464/exclusive-int...-steven-moffat

Nothing new, he's very tight-lipped. But worth a read for his thoughts on how the Doctor should be.