Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

A bank robbery episode of Doctor Who, what an absurd idea! How could you ever have a Heist in Who, what is he talking about?

It seems very unlikely, doesn't it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not much info, but the suggestion of a difference in style:

Moffat Speaks!

That's a nice interview, if uninformative.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well worth a watch:

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2717

30 min discussion with Steven Moffatt...

He's too smug and brillo. I won't be watching his output.

Pip Madeley Guest

Edinburgh TV Festival 2008: don't rule out Doctor Who feature film, says Steven Moffat

Incoming Doctor Who executive producer and showrunner Steven Moffat said today that he would not rule out the possibility of a feature film spin off of the hit BBC1 drama as long as it did not interfere with the television series.

Speaking at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival, Moffat told delegates: "As long as it was great and fantastic then yeah. But a film is on [for] 90 minutes and that is not as important as the series. But as long as it doesn't get in the way of the show we could do it."

Moffat's remarks also chime with comments made by BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter, who also refused to rule out a movie spin off when asked by MediaGuardian.co.uk last year. "I would not rule out a film version of Doctor Who, no," she said. Moffat also revealed that Steven Spielberg was a fan of the show. When he had to pull out of his writing commitments for Spielberg's Tintin film trilogy to take on his new job, Spielberg told him that "the world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who".

During his Edinburgh session Moffat also called on the press to stop print spoilers about the show's plot. "Shut up, just shut up. It is easy to find out what's going on with the show. We virtually publish the scripts and we film in public," he said. "But in giving things away you become that bore in the pub who delivers the punchline of a joke a second before it is delivered."

He revealed that he planned to stay quiet about his plans for the show - he takes over for series five, to be filmed next year and broadcast in 2010 - to avoid spoilers.

Moffat also said that the Doctor would remain youthful and that casting an older actor, like William Hartnell, the first Doctor, was unlikely. "The show is really tough for a superfit David Tennant so you might kill somebody who takes on the role in their 60s. For Doctor Who to turn into an old man you'd be pissed off," he added. "Even William Hartnell had trouble back then, he was often ill and he forgot his lines. I think the Doctor will always be about 40."
    So that rules out Leslie Phillips as the next Doctor

There's a 5 page interview with Mister Moffat in this month's DeathRay magazine, where he goes into detail about his views on TV in general, his vision for Doctor Who, what kind of stories he'd like to do... and everything.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

FWIW I think he's completely wrong about casting an older actor in the role.

Pertwee was in his fifties when he played the lead and he was one of the most physical of all the Doctors. Yes, he had to have some of his lines written on parts of the set, but that was nothing to do with is age.

And why not just change the character if he has to calm down bit due to being older - that's the whole point of regeneration, surely?

I agree with Ant. I think that RTD and now the Moff are scared that if they cast someone older they will lose a lot of viewers. I don't know if that would actually happen though

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Well he'll be rubbish. He was no good managing Arsenal, what use as a script editor?

Si.
    (Belatedly)

Pip Madeley Guest

Series five companion news?

Skins star Hannah Murray has been tipped to become Matt Smith's companion in the fifth series of Doctor Who.

Murray, who played Cassie in the first two series of the Channel 4 teen drama, is supposedly in secret talks with producers about the role, News Of The World reports.

A BBC insider said: "Hannah did some challenging stuff in Skins and they see her as an up-and-comer."

Other stars reportedly being considered for the role include Georgia Moffett, Lily Allen and Kelly Brook.

Russell T. Davies has confirmed that he does not want to "ruin anyone's chances" of being cast as the fifth series companion by using them in this year's specials.

Did you not see this yesterday on the comapnion thread Pip? You're behind the times!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not seen her in Skins, but very pretty.

After watching a lot of her recent output, I'd really like to see Andrea Riseborough as the next companion, but expect she's too big for the role now.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Russell T. Davies has confirmed that he does not want to "ruin anyone's chances" of being cast as the fifth series companion by using them in this year's specials.

well that's michelle ryan out then..

I'd take anything RTD says with a pinch of salt.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Ashes To Ashes producer Beth Willis has been appointed as a new executive producer on the fifth series of Doctor Who. Willis joins showrunner Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger as executive producers for the new run, which will see Matt Smith take over from David Tennant in the lead role.

Meanwhile, Tracie Simpson, producer on Easter special 'Planet Of The Dead', and Peter Bennett, producer on the upcoming third series of Torchwood, have been confirmed as producers for series five.

Steven Moffat said of the appointments: "Beth and Tracie and Pete aren't the A Team, they're the people the A Team call. Tracie and Pete are the backstage stars of Doctor Who and having them on board as producers isn't just the best possible news for Matt Smith's first series, it's a massive relief.

"And Beth Willis, fresh from the brilliant Ashes To Ashes, is joining Piers and I as an executive so finally there'll be someone to wear the trousers."

Pre-production on series five begins next month ahead of filming this summer.
    Exciting

I wonder if having two producers and three Exec. Prod.s is a system brought in because there's a lot to be done, with Who, Torchwood, SJA and the merchandise being done more or less concurrently. Feels like too many chiefs otherwise.

Anyone fancy an Exec. Prod. btw?

Maybe they're just adopting the american system, where anyone remotely involved with the production gets a producer's credit.

well, Series 1 had three exec producers - Russell T. Davies, Julie Gardner and Mal Young.

and later series of the Tennant era have had two producers - Phil Collinson and Suzie Liggat.

So I'm unsurprised by this development!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Maybe they're just adopting the american system, where anyone remotely involved with the production gets a producer's credit.
    So does that mean that we can all claim a producer's credit simply by watching the programme? eh? EH?

Well it's an idea for a future Blue Peter competition isn't it.

The 7-and-unders winner chooses the scripts, the 8-12s check sthe budget and the 13-and-overs gets to cast the show. So no change there then!

Apparently we're going to have Gillian Anderson playing the Rani opposite Matt Smith's Doctor if the Telegraph / Express is to be believed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ppearance.html

Stuff the Rani. Wouldn't Gillian Anderson be a fantastic companion?

I agree she would be a good companion for the Matt Smith Doctor, because she would add the experiance that a young Doctor would need from a companion and I loved her in The X Files.