Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

yeah, funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Getting back on topic, I know Anthony Ainley was said to have given a camp performance as The Master, but does that really mean he had to have a tent for a TARDIS?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    yeah, funny.
    Oh, get a sense of humour!

I quite like the theory about that perhaps being his TARDIS. I might watch Survival again later on, and subject those scenes to some in-tents scrutiny.

I'll get me coat...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I might watch Survival again later on, and subject those scenes to some in-tents scrutiny.

I'll get me coat...
    Nice. I'd watch it again myself but I'm not in the right mood.

I think you only see inside the tent at one point, at the end of Episode One, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I quite like the theory about that perhaps being his TARDIS. I might watch Survival again later on, and subject those scenes to some in-tents scrutiny.

I'll get me coat...
    But first the main story tonight. Mr. M. Aster of 13 Rose Cottages, Gallifrey, has been arrested on a camp site. He's been charged with loitering within a tent.

For what it's worth with the 'is it canon?' debate. I think Si Hart has the right idea. Find what works best for you and accept that people will always have differing views.

Personally (and this is just my opinion, naturally) what works best for me is what Si Hunt has suggested, which basically says that if it wasn't on the BBC it's not canon (I hope I've summed that up correctly Si).
    Don't get me wrong I like the books that I've read and the BF plays that I've heard and I really appreciate that they kept Doctor Who alive for those years, but I can't help but feel it would be unfair for the casual viewer or the majority of younger viewers to start assuming that events that happened off screen are 'Doctor Who facts' (if you see what I mean). OK, for the most part it doesn't matter if you haven't read a novel or heard a BF play, but imagine if one day some BBC excec decided that all events of the books/audios were 'canon' and a story was made with all sorts of links and references to a book or play. I think it would be safe to say that the majority of Doctor Who viewers today would not have a clue as to what's being referred to (unless it was spelled out in great detail anyway).

I like the fact that Doctor Who has been made in different formats, but IMO it's known for being a TV show and so to me, if it didn't happen with the confines of the TV show then it's not canon (I do include the TVM, even though I hate it, because it was at least in part made by the BBC and was shown on BBC TV).

That's my view; but as Si Hart says - best to make your own decision and accept that that is what it is. Nobody can insist their version is correct!!!

I agree with everything there Andrew. For me canon is 1963-1989, 1996, 2005-Present. I don't think people who hate the movie can discount it because, as you say, it was jointly made by the BBC & included a regeneration from McCoy AND the BBC count McGann as Doctor number 8.
    As you say the BBC dictate that Eccleston is 9 & Tennent is 10. And I have no reason to disagree with that.

Even though I know some do.

because the BBC are ALWAYS right.

Yes. In the same way that what you say goes in your fan fiction. It's your world to make right or wrong.

speaking of which, episodes three and four are now available to read here.

Only the Peter Cushing movies are canon. Everything else should be fired from one!

how can you say that?

Because he's being funny.

oooooohhhhhh...right.

for a moment there i thought he meant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Because he's being funny.
    'Being' or 'Attempting to be'???

Well I thought it was funny.

so, Master? TARDIS? Tent? Hmm?

In my opinion, no, it's not his TARDIS.

Of course it's not, it's connected to the outside. TARDIS' have their interior in a different dimension.

Si.

Well quite, he wouldn't want the Doctor's help to escape the Planet of the Cheetah people if his tent was his TARDIS and later on he wouldn't need to steal the Doctor's TARDIS either, which he's obviously attempting.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh yeah, I meant to say that it being his TARDIS would invalidate his entire motivation for the story. *cough*

Si.

well, you don't clearly see the inside, do you? there could be a secret door at the "back" of the tent, leading to the console room.

and his tardis could be broken, possibly due to the planet's psychic influence.

I didn't think you'd accept that answer.

well, you don't clearly see the inside, do you? there could be a secret door at the "back" of the tent, leading to the console room.

and his tardis could be broken, possibly due to the planet's psychic influence.
    But where's the evidence for this? It's like inventing a theory out of thin air and then saying "prove otherwise". Like suggesting the Cybermen were really behind the invasion of Gallifrey in "Invasion of Time". There's no proof against it is there? But there's no proof FOR it on screen, we know that wasn't intended, so what the hecky-thump are we doing talking about it? What's your point? There's no way you can ever prove it, and there's no way anyone else could ever disprove it. End of discussion!

Si.