Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Era of 'The Moff' - what do you want?

Ok, it's a long way off (although already being planned), and we've discussed endlessly elsewhere, but now it's official, what do *you* want from the Moffat era?

Personally I'd like to see......

Murray Gold being replaced, and the music reigned back from drowning out almost every scene.

Less "set piece" stories, and less "shopping list" stories too.

More Moffatt stories (although I may think otherwise in a couple of weeks time )

A change to the season structure/format. More two parters, to allow stories to flow better, and free up some of the budget that is wastefully (IMO) used on so many single episode stories.

Shorter Doctor Who Confidentials!

A new Doctor.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

- A new Doctor, and some male companion totty.

- Better use of the TARDIS (more rooms!)

- An overhaul of the four-year old titles, logo and look

- A strong sense of looking at what RTD has done, and keeping the best bits - the publicity manipulation (call them gimmicks if you like, they get viewers), the emotional sense, the heart of the show

- Less slavish structure to the seasons

More Moffatt stories (although I may think otherwise in a couple of weeks time )
    Why, have you decided not to like his new story for some reason?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Less slavish structure to the seasons
    That one I agree with wholeheartedly. Let's get away from the arc structure with dropped hints and references and a big setup episode mid-season leading to a huge finale with millions of aliens attacking Earth and causing so much chaos they can only be stopped by a magic plot device. Based on the first half of this season I'm expecting the finale to explain either the lost planets or the missing bees (or both), to feature the Sontarans or Jenny (or both) and to involve a major invasion of or atack on Earth or threat to the Universe (or both). Had we not already known Rose was coming back that would also have been anticipated by now from her cameos. I also epxect Daleks in there somewhere. Let's see if I'm right. And let's see if the next full season can surprise us by having a finale that hasn't been built up to so obviously, or maybe even just a story that happens to come last that season.

I also want to see less kissing and romance involving the Doctor, not because I am against it for some fanboyish notion of 'the Doctor doesn't do that', but because it is the least interesting aspect of any episode. We have soaps and other shows for that. Let's do something different with this show that can be anything.

And let's for heaven's sake get away from Earth and humans more. With the whole universe and all of time to explore, why is it always Earth or some human colony he goes to?

-Less Time War fall out. Let's have the Doctor start to get over it a bit now!
    -New titles and music. I like both of Gold's themes, but I'd prefer a more mysterious theme and the Doctor's face in the titles!
    - New exciting recurring villains/ monsters- lets hope for a new legacy of classic recurring creatures!
    - More varied incidental music. I don't mind Gold, but lets let other people have a go too.
    -Less Moffat fan baiting. Yes the Doctor has done snogging and stuff. We know he can do it, lets all move on!
    - No wibbly wobbly Timey, wimey. That was poooooooor!!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

- More 2 or 3 parter stories (preferably with one story title rather than seperate episode titles)

- A new Doctor or a tonned down Tennant, less silly jokes and voices etc.

- Deeper stories, with more sub-plots, politics, twists etc (it is possible to have complex stories and keep the younger children interested).

- Less use of Season 'story arcs' and 'season finals' (I'm not totally against them, every third or fourth season this would be good, but I don't see the need for it every year - especially as IMO they have never better the first season for this!!)

- The destruction of the sonic screwdriver

- More stories set away from Earth.

- The return of the Timelords and an end to hearing about this 'Time war' - I'm not interested in it - I'd rather it had never been mentioned and that the Timelords weren't dead!!!

- More than one incidental music composer - new ideas are always good. Less use of an orchestra - some electronic music is good (not Sea Devils obviously)

- A new version of the Theme music, using no real musical instruments (but maybe I'm being over-picky here)!!!!

- More TARDIS stuff - and bring back original series console room background hums - I so miss them, the TARDIS is so 'cold' and non-functional these days!!!

That will do for now

I do love the new show...honest I do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post

Si.
    No, he's just recognising he might not like his new story after watching it. I'm a bit surprised anyone could read it as meaning anything else.

I know of one thing i'd like... I'd like to see Tennant (Doctor 10) hang around for at least one "Moff'ed Up" season. If Moff changes anything, makes the show darker, more two partners, etc... It might be better to have somebody already experienced as the Doctor to be helming the show. It would be good for DocTen to bridge the gap between styles of show. It might be a very bad thing if you bring in a new guy to play the Doc, and his first season is panned by critics. I don't really want anymore one season Doc9's going on. It might not even be bad if Doc10 regenerates halfway through the season, or three-fourths, and then the season ender has tennant return as both Doc's teamup to battle a menace from the old series. Then the season ender could be a scene where Tennants doctor passes on the torch and says something a long the lines of "youll be fine." I dunno... But anyway, I just don't know about a Doctor change automatically because of a new series head. At least not at first...

pretty much agree with what every body has said already the one thing that hasn't yet been mentioned that I would like to see changed is

A break with the "family" orientated episodes and have a season where we see much less all be it nothing of the companions family.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
    I know of one thing i'd like... I'd like to see Tennant (Doctor 10) hang around for at least one "Moff'ed Up" season. If Moff changes anything, makes the show darker, more two partners, etc... It might be better to have somebody already experienced as the Doctor to be helming the show. It would be good for DocTen to bridge the gap between styles of show. It might be a very bad thing if you bring in a new guy to play the Doc, and his first season is panned by critics. I don't really want anymore one season Doc9's going on. It might not even be bad if Doc10 regenerates halfway through the season, or three-fourths, and then the season ender has tennant return as both Doc's teamup to battle a menace from the old series. Then the season ender could be a scene where Tennants doctor passes on the torch and says something a long the lines of "youll be fine." I dunno... But anyway, I just don't know about a Doctor change automatically because of a new series head. At least not at first...
    Well I personally think there might be a change at the end of this season, before we get the 'specials'. The Doctor was given a hint about not having long in Planet of the Ood.

- Better use of the TARDIS (more rooms!)
    Yes!

Si.
    No, as Logo said, I realise I might not like it. I didn't think the trailer looked very promising though.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

NOT James Nesbitt as the new Doctor for a start! (The Moff thought he'd make a good choice!)

No celebrity cameos unless they aren't playing themselves.

A complete disregard for what the fans want...er...

That embittered cretin with the website with white letters on a black background which gives you a headache when you try to decipher his childish tantrums over a show he will never write for or have anything to do with because he could never in a million years do or be anything near as wonderful as Who...write more stories that will annoy him, so hopefully he loses concentration over simple things like walking downstairs and crossing roads etc.

and for the BBC not to fart ars around with the start time and keep it at 7pm for every episode in serie 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    A break with the "family" orientated episodes and have a season where we see much less all be it nothing of the companions family.
    Oh yes, forgot that one. It's been done to death now (and never better than the Tylers, frankly), so let's not keep coming back to the companion's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    and for the BBC not to fart ars around with the start time and keep it at 7pm for every episode in serie 5.
    Or at least keep it consistent if they do put it on at a different time!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

• More TARDIS spinning in space shots
    • More 2-parters (giving the plot time to breathe)
    • More trips away from Earth (less emphasis on families)
    • Different structure / more random adventures (as Si Hunt said, it's too predictable right now)
    • Less Murray Gold (to give others a chance)
    • More from Rob Shearman, Paul Cornell and Gareth Roberts
    • Less from Helen Raynor, Stephen Greenhorn and Chris Chibnall
    • An episode written by Terrance Dicks!
    • New title sequence for the new Doctor (whenever he appears)
    • A new TARDIS interior - new desktop theme!
    • Less of the Cybermen
    • Less baggage (no Rose, Martha or Donna) so the series can make a fresh start
    • The return of the Ice Warriors

That'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    • More from Rob Shearman, Paul Cornell and Gareth Roberts
    • Less from Helen Raynor, Stephen Greenhorn and Chris Chibnall
    • An episode written by Terrance Dicks!
    and more episodes directed by the ledgend that is Graeme Harper..

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed Monitor, indeed.

I'm a bit surprised anyone could read it as meaning anything else.
    I'd be dissapointed if I stopped surprising people!
    Less of the Cybermen
    Yes, we haven't been able to get away from them in the two years since they last appeared!

Yer talking out of your arse Madeley. More Cybermen! MORE! MORE! MORE!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Yer talking out of your arse Madeley. More Cybermen! MORE! MORE! MORE!
    I just think they're a bit boring. There's not much you can do with them as they are, if they were all David Banks-esque then that'd be much more interesting.

Less Cybermen! They've hardly been around for ages have they.

LESS BLOODY DALEKS! I bet they'll be back this season finale as well!

Do you know, I don't know what I want - in general I've really enjoyed Who when it comes back, but what I'd like next is for something quite different which I still enjoy!!!

Crikey, I'm easy (or very difficult) to please today!!

More seriously, it'll be a tricky balance to make the 2010 season fresh & new enough, without being totally different to what's gone before. Ignoring fan opinion, the RTD years will be one heck of a tough act to follow.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if a change at the top persuades Tennant to stay for another season - not anything against RTD, but the inevitably different style to the show might be an interesting challenge to him.

I'm not surprised Moffet's taking over, but I am curious as to why it had to be another writer - RTD was, obviously, but is it really essential for the head honcho to actually be involved in the writing of individual scripts? If so, then Moffet was probably the only candidate, but I'm not convinced any of the Execs need to be a writer of repute.

I want whatever Perry Vale doesn't want. That would probably be best for the show in the long run.

Yeah, I agree with several people from above. I'm tired of all the family baggage we've been seeing this the new series began. I'm not saying don't do it again in the future sometime, but a break for a season or two would be nice. I almost wouldn't mind to see an "Ace" type companion for the Doctor. Somebody that has no family, and see's the Doctor more as a teacher/elder or big brother like instead of a boyfriend. I would love to see how Tennant handles that role. It would prolly bring out more the darker, more serious tone which i like from him. One thing I'm tired of is each companion seeing the Doc as a love interest. Rose, Martha, and even Donna.... its there. Come on. How about we go a year without that same plot device. A companion that has had a rough, tough life, who is alone... and the Doctor shows him/her that there is some positive hope in the universe. He could be what keeps the companion from going over the edge. Etc... I dunno, i'm just rambling!

I wouldnt mind to see more than one companion again also. I liked having both Rose and Jack on board in series 1 of the new season. Do that, and have more two parters so each companion is fleshed out.

Ha... I just realized that if Tennant does leave the role anytime soon, he's going to go down in the history of doctor who as the hugh-hefner-Doctor. The Doctor with all of the ladies chasing after him...Maybe spend a year or two changing that.
    Last edited by JohnMan; 21st May 2008 at 8:38 PM. Reason: because I have a toe

WhiteCrow Guest

I'm impressed - not one fanboy request for a return of the Sparrow.

You've just taken your first step into a larger Universe.