Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default The War Games - Available in all Time Zones now!

We've sort of known for a while now (what with Steve Roberts saying it's the 40th anniversary next year & Biggers searching for location photos) but according to the new DWM which reveals the story is the "most wanted DVD" by fans, it's scheduled for release shortly...

Funny, I was just thinking about this earlier on today!

I really like this story and haven't watched it for years, so I'm really looking forward to the DVD! I assume it'll be over three discs and thus pricier than normal?

Wayne Guest

I should imagine 2 discs would be enough wouldn't it?
    I hope it does get released soon though. I'm not mad on it, but i'd like to see it all nicely restored!

2 disc's for the feature & one for extras would be my guess.

Excellent news, I was going to watch it soon, but I'll wait. It's one I've not seen for a few years.

Wayne Guest

I supppose it depend how much stuff they've got for extras. But there's still be room for a docu & bits & pieces over 2 discs i think.

Ooh! It'll look great all restored and vidfired!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Woo-hoo! This one I am really looking forward to. I'd have thought they could fit six episodes one one disc, with the remaining four and the special features on the second. Given how much in the way of special features can often be found on the four episode single-disc releases I'd be surprised if they need to split it over three.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I'd have thought the black and white stories don't take up as much room on the disc, since no colour information is encoded in them, so that should make it even easier to get it all on two discs. But I know sod-all about DVD encoding, so that is just a layman's specualtion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Woo-hoo! This one I am really looking forward to. I'd have thought they could fit six episodes one one disc, with the remaining four and the special features on the second. Given how much in the way of special features can often be found on the four episode single-disc releases I'd be surprised if they need to split it over three.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I'd have thought the black and white stories don't take up as much room on the disc, since no colour information is encoded in them, so that should make it even easier to get it all on two discs. But I know sod-all about DVD encoding, so that is just a layman's specualtion.
    Good point!

Some of the episodes are of very high quality. It'll be a surprise if "shortly" means this year though, as we thought we knew all the stories coming out this year. Surely it won't be out on it's 39th anniversary? Then again, next year isn't exactly "shortly".

Si.

out of interest can you you get all 10 episodes on one disc ?

Wayne Guest

Yes, but the quality wouldn't be up to much.

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed, it'd look very blocky and pixellated. I predict a 3-disc set though, 5 episodes on each then a third disc of extras. It's possible to do it on 2-discs but I'm expecting goodies - don't forget Biggers has a surprise for us, I think it'll be on this release.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    . I predict a 3-disc set though, .

that was also my first thought aswell - I just hope though that that dose not mean an increase in pricefor what you would normaly pay for a single story release.

In all fairness, why shouldn't we pay more for ten episodes than we usually pay for four though?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    In all fairness, why shouldn't we pay more for ten episodes than we usually pay for four though?

Si.

that's a fare point you don't mind paying another couple of pounds but knowing what the BBC can be like you have visions of seeing £25 being stuck on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    that's a fare point you don't mind paying another couple of pounds but knowing what the BBC can be like you have visions of seeing £25 being stuck on it.
    Even in that case you'd only end up paying £16-£17 for it unless you were daft enough to buy from somewhere that charges full price!

That's cheaper than it cost on VHS 20 years ago!

Yes, £25 is meaningless because I don't know if you're talking RRP or cheapest on-line price Larry. A normal release on-line is about £14 max among the cheapest retailers. If "War Games" is £16-£17, I don't think we'd have cause to complain for 3 discs and 10 episodes. Remember, "Tegan Tales" cost about that and that was only eight episodes.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    unless you were daft enough to buy from somewhere that charges full price!

!

that's me then..

I imagine it will be a release similar to 'The Invasion', a two-disc set with with five episodes on each disc along with extras. As there have been a couple of six part stories, with extras, on single disc releases, I don't think it would need to be a three-disc set. That's what I think anyway, Victor!

Whatever, this will be a good'un.

Wayne Guest

I agree with Dave.

Anyone fancy a bet?

I fancy Bet Lynch.

I missed the original VHS release for no apparent reason but got the WHSmith re-issue for £8.99 about 5 years ago. Good times!

It's an anecdote!

Si.

I missed the original VHS release for no apparent reason but got the WHSmith re-issue for £8.99 about 5 years ago. Good times!
    I can wallow in nostalgia with Simon too as I also did exactly the same. (Apart from him turning into Justin Lee Collins at the last minute. GRRRRR)

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I predict a 3-disc set though, 5 episodes on each then a third disc of extras. It's possible to do it on 2-discs but I'm expecting goodies
    But as we've already said, ten episodes plus goodies will fit nicely onto two discs. Look at some of the extras on the four part releases. They almost run longer than the main feature in some cases. So you could get six on one, four plus extras on the other, and there's two discs with a ten part story plus goodies on. Unless there's a huge goody package with this one I can't see why it would need three discs.

I reckon it should be four discs.