View Poll Results: Where does this episode come in the Doctor Decimal System?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 999 - Out of this world!

9 26.47%
  • 845 - Je t'aime le épisode!

11 32.35%
  • 791- Artistic, stylish, very me!

8 23.53%
  • 690 - Built a good foundation for a solid conclusion!

3 8.82%
  • 510 - Some plus, some minus... they cancel each other out.

1 2.94%
  • 453 - Mamma Mia! What-a mistake-a to make-a!

0 0%
  • 340 - There should be a law against Moffat's fan-baiting!

0 0%
  • 232 - Jesus Christ that was a let-down.

2 5.88%
  • 177 - Ethics of sex & reproduction - no thanks Moffat!

0 0%
  • 002 - Nothing to write home about!

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rate & Discuss 4.8: Silence In The Library

Count the shadows...

As ever, no votie until episodie has gone outie. And no spoileroos either!

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!

It had everything, mystery, suspense, intrigue; and it was only the first part!

I can't wait for next week!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I enjoyed it, on the whole. I thought it was very slow to get going, and by half way in I was beginning to wonder where the promised scares were. On the upside, I loved the concept of the little girl in another world and River Song knowing the Doctor from the future. By the end, with the skeleton in a spacesuit stalking the Doctor while Donna has apparently died (what a shame I have DWM in front of me with a still of her in the next episode... you just can't get worried for a companions health these days) it had kicked in and was suitably intriguing. 8/10

As a final word, I thought the library was a particuarly well realised setting this week. Normally we get somewhere-that-is-obviously-somewhere-normal with a few token CGI 'money shots' thrown in to suggest otherwise. But it really convinced me that the library was as big as a cathedral all the way through.

In summary, I'm not loving this to bits yet, but it was a promising start and I look forward to Part 2.

Si.

Very very good. Minus 1 point for Murray Gold's over-the-top music again, but even HE got it right in a couple of places.

It was one of those episodes where the family sat down and didn't move or speak for 45 minutes, even ones who were about to leave the room as it was starting

It just goes to show that you don't have to have millions of Daleks/Cybermen/Sontarans, and for it to be set on Earth so we can "relate", to make a gripping story. In fact it goes to show that it's probably best not to.

Oh and the scenery in the opening moments was fantastic, about as atmospheric visuals as I've ever seen.

I hated it. Typical Moffat nonsense...

Oh sorry it wasn't Blink! I enjoyed it. Yes, you heard me, I enjoyed it! The library is a great setting and it looks gorgeous. The premise is rather intriguing (though making dust scray is as silly as that bit with the statues at the end of Blink) and I'm trying to work out the link between the girl and the library.
    I suppose it is pretty similar to the last two Moffat scripts- seemingly unconnectable things being connected and an everyday object (staues/ dust/ the dark) being scary and evil things, only this time I'm actually enjoying it!

It's great to have Euro Lynn back too! One of the finest directors on the series and I love the way he uses his eyes when he's interviewed...

8/10 I hope he doesn't muck it all up next week!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I didn't get the dust business either. Fair enough, shadows everywhere could be evil (see what he did there) but what's that got to do with the dust in the shadows?

Si.

Oh and it was a bit of a rip off of The Time-Traveller's Wife

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Silence in the Library!

Where is everyone?
    Interesting premise & an interesting start. A mystery to be solved is my favourite type of story.

This is actually quite a gripping story. “Vashta Nerada” in the dark. Flesh eating bugs.
    Well first we were told not to let the child touch you, then don’t look under your bed, then not to blink & now we have to avoid the shadows (poor Hank Marvin ), this should get the kiddies running.
    TARDIS looking Diary! I want one of those!

This was BRILLIANT! I loved it. Absolutely right up my street, this. It started out at a good slow pace & slowly built up. It was both spooky & fascinating all at the same time. From the light relief of the books flying out of the shelves to the horror of being eaten to death in a few seconds & having your last moments left on a electronic communicator. Good stuff & well done.

I’m sure someone will have problems with it but it was faultless to me on first viewing. I really can’t wait for next week!

I loved the Cheeky Monkeys and that chubby wee ****** singing.

10/10

Captain Tancredi Guest

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it took a while to warm up, but all the right bits were in all the right places and enough mystery to keep me keen for next week.

Yup, that was very enjoyable if a little bit slow. There are a lot of mysteries in this story - I hope they have good resolutions next week! It's weird

The best bit was the walking corpse-suit with the mutant shadows, that was a really weird effect.

It seems the production team have really upped their game for this episode. There's a sheen to it and a feel that's outstanding from the usual Doctor Who episodes. Not that they aren't without atmosphere, but the look of this one is fabulous.

The most annoying thing was having seen the trailer/sneak preview stuff beforehand. I was waiting for and expecting certain bits, but the direction of the episodes were quite slow and suspenseful in the build up to them. Example - I knew that the guy in the suit would be turned into a skellington, but there was ages of build up to the reveal that "shock horror!" he'd turned into a skellington. If I hadn't had seen it in the preview, it would have been more exciting.

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think if I didn't know Donna was in it next week, I'd be fretting for her now.

C'mon! Somone must hate it! It's the law! It'll be someone who likes every other episode!

Si.

If everyone on this thread is still "lovin' it" on Monday...

Nathan will hate it!

You mean he doesn't already?

The only thing about the scenery... it was a little disappointing after all the vistas of the opening minutes, including the bits that weren't even CGI, weren't really seen again and most of the episode took place in a small room after that.

And I agree about the skellington non-shocker. Just like the lethal laser trap from a few weeks ago that we already knew Jenny was going to do backflips through so wasn't much of a threat. It's not a problem with the episodes themselves, but the trailer-makers should show a little better judgement.

I may ask a question mayn't I?

What the heck is a skellington?

It's a skeleton. I doubt you'd find it in the dictionary.

You might if Richard Herring became the next editor of the OED. He'd probably be allowed to keep his beard too as tradition is on his side.

This was a fantastic episode all things considered, though Steve Pemberton was wasted in a background role and the bit with the data ghost went on too long. It also wasn't produced by Susie Liggat so I've just watched Confidential for nothing. But that is largely my problem.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

9/10 - brilliant creepy atmospheric , and quite touching when the young girl (can't remember her name) died you almost felt like sheding a tear with Donna.

Yet again the mighty Moff hits the bulls eye with his stories..

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm trying to work out the link between the girl and the library.
    Si xx
    My guess is that she is the central core computer. The 'appartment' that we see is its own made up world in its 'mind'.

It's the first episode this year that I feel like watching again already. Unfortunately I didn't tape it

Take yourself to BBC I-Player! Doctor on Demand.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    My guess is that she is the central core computer. The 'appartment' that we see is its own made up world in its 'mind'.

but then that leaves the question as to who are those two men..

Wowzers that went on forever. A bit like if they'd spent episode one of Tomb waiting for Kaftan to offer the fifty quid to get the doors open.

Maybe it'll pick up next week. It can't get worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    but then that leaves the question as to who are those two men..
    Other aspects of the cores Psyche would be my guess.