Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

At least he put "I wonder" at the start of his post, which was more than you did!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

About Torchwood he did, but regards 'no DW series 5 in 2009', he said "the decision to have no Doctor Who series 5 next year obviously that was designed to help both Tennent and RTD go off and do other things". This, to my knowledge, has never been publicly stated, so is equally as reliable as someone posting on Roobarbs, and also just a rumour.

I'll be more careful in future though.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Thanks Steve. I did originally say that it was something I'd seen cropping up in various places on PS lately. I don't want people to think we're being picky, but you see something that says this and that is definately happening and it irks that everyone reading it is going to accept it as fact, pass it on and so on... anyway, it's something we'll bring up with anyone if we spot it as I believe we have a duty to seperate posting of facts, opinions and rumour.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    About Torchwood he did, but regards 'no DW series 5 in 2009', he said "the decision to have no Doctor Who series 5 next year obviously that was designed to help both Tennent and RTD go off and do other things". This, to my knowledge, has never been publicly stated, so is equally as reliable as someone posting on Roobarbs, and also just a rumour.

I'll be more careful in future though.
    maybe not but David Tennent, wanted to go off and play Hamlet, with the RSC, some thing that would of been impossible had he been tied down to a full series of Doctor Who. As the BBC are desperate to keep Tennent the decision to move series 5 back a year to allow Tennent to do what he wanted has always seemed a compromise deal.

That's just what a lot of fans are supposing about it, no official statement has been made confirming that. It's just as likely (and far moreso IMO), that Tennant is doing the RSC thing because the Beeb are only doing the specials.

I don't believe for a minute that they'd put a flagship show (the juggernaught of a show it's become) on hold, with all the consequences that entails, just so it's star can go and do some theatre.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

There could be all sorts of reasons... perhaps RTD wanted to leave and Moffo was only available in 2010.
    Perhaps it is budgetary; perhaps they wanted some more expensive looking 'specials' to help sell Doctor Who and Torchwood overseas.
    The most quoted reason seems to be that they all wanted a rest.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The most quoted reason seems to be that they all wanted a rest.
    I've not seen that quoted anywhere, apart from some fans. Has this been quoted in DWM perhaps, I haven't read it for a while?

According to a RTD interview in SFX, it was always the plan to delay series 5. RTD believes it's the only way forward in keeping the show on air for the next 20 years by having 3-4 full seasons before resting it. It's apparently because the show does not have a full season that David Tennant has gone off to do other things.

How much truth there is in that is anyones guess, but that was how RTD explained it.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I thought the 'rest' was the reason they said on the BBC website, but I can't access that at work so I can't be sure.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    As the BBC are desperate to keep Tennent the decision to move series 5 back a year to allow Tennent to do what he wanted has always seemed a compromise deal.
    You say that as if it is fact. It's the first I've heard of it. From where do you know that the BBC are "desperate" to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    You say that as if it is fact. It's the first I've heard of it. From where do you know that the BBC are "desperate" to keep him?

well I think it's pretty obvious to any one that David Tennent, is right now one of the hottest properties on television at the moment .

Really? He's the Doctor in Doctor Who, that's it. I've not seen him in anything else since he was in Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire. What exactly makes him 'hot property'?

And you still haven't said how you know that the BBC are 'desperate' to keep him?

And you still haven't said how you know that the BBC are 'desperate' to keep him?

well as i'm not in a position of power at the BBC I couldn't possibaly confirm or deny the truth of my original statement..

Which proves the point I was making, Larry. Steve was criticized for doing exactly what you did. Reporting theory/thought/conjecture as fact.
    And Larry can?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    At least he put "I wonder" at the start of his post, which was more than you did!

Si xx
    But only in one post & not in all of what is said, as the last half dozen posts or so have shown.

I'm not criticizing the mod/admin, just trying for a level playing field.

Really? He's the Doctor in Doctor Who, that's it. I've not seen him in anything else since he was in Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire. What exactly makes him 'hot property'?
    I know where you're coming from Tim, but he is considered by critics to be one of the best actors around at the moment, his performances in Casanova and Blackpool got him a lot of acclaim, and a reasonably big role in one of the Harry Potter films is nothing to be sniffed at.

But more than that, I'd say that it's because of the amount of media coverage his personal life that shows how popular he is, even a joke about his cock being ten inch's got a full page story in the Sun And every time he goes on a date (or pops out for a pint of milk) there's a story about it, and the tabloids tend to be reasonably savvy at keeping in touch with what's hot and what's not (however abhorrent some of these people may be).
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

The "reason" for Torchwood's shortened 3rd season is revealed by a Canadian reporter as mentioned in SFX

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=...three_and_four

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Perhaps it is budgetary; perhaps they wanted some more expensive looking 'specials' to help sell Doctor Who and Torchwood overseas.
    Ooh - interesting thought there. In order to sell a series into syndication in America, you have to have about 50 episodes, which the new series has just passed.

Does this mean they're trying to get an American channel onboard? Does this mean we can look forward to some more wholesome US-centric values - like a jazzed up theme tune (think how they updated the A-team), an American companion (with New York now replacing London), and the Doctors galactic war on terror. That season probably ending with David Tennant regenerating into Kieffer Sutherland ...

Pip Madeley Guest

“I just had the undiluted pleasure of interviewing that hot piece of actor, John Barrowman aka Captain Jack. I had read that the third season of Torchwood was going to be only five episodes and was wondering why. Well, the reason is the show, which started on BBC3, and then got promoted to BBC2, is now going to BBC1 and they want to start there with a splash and give the move a greater impact. "But if we come back for series four, it will be ten episodes."
    A five-part story over five nights?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    The "reason" for Torchwood's shortened 3rd season is revealed by a Canadian reporter as mentioned in SFX

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=...three_and_four

so if I've got this right the reason it's only a 5 episode season is because it's moved to BBC 1

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    so if I've got this right the reason it's only a 5 episode season is because it's moved to BBC 1
    Well, that's the PR spiel......

Well, that's the PR spiel......

seems a bit of a dumb excusse as most series like Doctor Who, Spooks, Waking the Dead are all at least 10 to 12 episodes per series.

Maybe John Barrowman was only available for a short time, so rather than wait 18+ months for a new series they thought they'd knock out a special to fill the gap?

Anyone else reckon a certain Michael Smith might end up at the Hub next year?
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

Quote Originally Posted by The Archimandrite View Post
    Anyone else reckon a certain Michael Smith might end up at the Hub next year?

and a certain Martha Jones as well..

This is brand new information!

Si.