Thread: Muxtape

Pip Madeley Guest

Default Muxtape

Muxtape's rather cool - it allows you to make your own "mixtape" of 12 songs! It's all about discovering new music, there's no point putting twleve songs everyone knows, so I've put my own ecletic selection of songs/music up...

http://mrpip.muxtape.com

1. David Arnold - Theme from Randall & Hopkirk {Deceased}
    2. Pulp - Seconds
    3. Robots In Disguise - La Nuit
    4. Bloc Party - This Modern Love
    5. Genesis - Keep It Dark
    6. Har Mar Superstar - Power Lunch
    7. Muse - Map Of The Problematique
    8. Roisin Murphy - Overpowered
    9. The Ting Tings - Impacilla Carpisung
    10. Keane - Fly To Me
    11. Anne Dudley - Will You Still Be Waiting?
    12. Scott Walker - Big Louise
    Synth pop, jazzy indie, dramatic rock, catchy beats and strings-a-plenty!

How about we all make our own Muxtape and share our playlists & comment on what we liked/disliked? You never know, you might find something you'll come to love!

It sounds quite a lot like Project Playlist, except PP lets you create a list of up to 75 songs (the last time I checked anyway, it may be more now) and you can make as many lists as you want (and PP has 70 million odd users sharing playlists...)

*listening to Mr. Pip's muxtape now*

edit- it appears there is no way to pause music or rewind FF... at least I don't see any controls..

further edit - I found you pause by clicking on the time... still, not very user freindly...
    Last edited by Jeff; 5th Jun 2008 at 4:05 PM.

Okay, here's mine.. ummm it's a double album.

http://www.playlist.com/node/36477027

1. John Legend - Save Room
    2. John Legend - Stereo
    3. Counting Crows - Chelsea
    4. The Walkmen - Louisiana
    5. The Clash - Wrong 'Em Boyo
    6. Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime
    7. Todd Rundgren - Wolfman Jack
    8. Todd Rundgren - Couldn't I Just Tell You
    9. Jackson Browne - These Days
    10. Syd Barrett - Bob Dylan Blues
    11. Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman
    12. Bob Dylan - Queen Jane Approximately

13. The Rolling Stones - Stop Breaking Down
    14. Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy
    15. Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
    16. Blood Sweat & Tears - And When I Die
    17. The Association - Windy
    18. Chicago - Make Me Smile
    19. The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe
    20. Harry Nilsson - Me and My Arrow
    21. Harry Nilsson - Remember
    22. Harry Nilsson - I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City
    23. Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams to Remember
    24. Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
    25. Louis Armstrong - (When We Are Dancin') I Get Ideas

Pip Madeley Guest

Thanks for listening to mine Jeff, I'll repay the compliment on my return to Manchester

I'm working on mine!

I listened to yours Pip. I still don't get the fuss about Scott Walker I'm afarid, but I was pleased to see the theme to Randall and Hopkirk(Deceased) included, which is a marvellous piece of music (and in my collection too!)

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    theme to Randall and Hopkirk(Deceased) included, which is a marvellous piece of music
    It's all beyond me, but @Randall and Hopkirk(Deceased)

One of the best theme tunes ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Thanks for listening to mine Jeff, I'll repay the compliment on my return to Manchester
    I've listened two or three times last week and have a sort of running commentary outlined in my head which I plan to put down. So often I find it takes a few listens to appreciate and grow to like something... I wan't to listen to it again today before I put anything down though.

I've added my mix tape. Hope you'll give it a listen!

Si xx

I haven't listened to all of yours yet Si, but from the track listing it looks really good - and you've chosen one of my favourite Grandaddy tracks so it gets a definite thumbs up from me
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It's a real favourite of mine that one!

Si xx

I'll be adding mine when I get my CDs from Reading...

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Mr. Pip's Muxtape

On this list there were several songs I was already familiar with, and I have to say those are probably my favorites... the songs I am already familiar with are Pulp 'Seconds', Muse 'Map of the Problematique', and The Ting Tings 'Impicalla Carpisung'.

Artists I am familiar with, but haven't heard the songs are, Keane, David Arnold, and to en extent, Genesis, though I have a hard time distinguishing Genesis from Phil Collins solo work so I am not sure how much actual Genesis I have heard...

1. David Arnold - Theme from Randall & Hopkirk {Deceased}

I'm not familiar with the show, or the theme, so there is no nostalgia in this one for me. I am familiar with the Bond stuff that David Arnold has done, and recognize the style. It is a good, enjoyable piece of music though.

2. Pulp - Seconds

I mentioned on a thread back in February that I was getting all of the Pulp albums... well, after that I spent about two solid months listening to nothing but Pulp over and over, everyday on the way to and from work, and often at work on the cd player. 'Seconds' was one of the first songs I heard, when I was first familiarizing myself with them on Playlist. It is no longer one of my 'top favorites' of theirs, but it is still up there.

3. Robots In Disguise - La Nuit

This is a very catchy uptempo song, I only wish I had a clue what they were saying . I read a little about them on Wiki, and plan to check out some of their other music on playlist. Wiki says their latest album was shite though. Perhaps if I like their work I'll start with the album this track came from...

4. Bloc Party - This Modern Love

Of all the tracks I was unfamiliar with, this one is probably my favorite. I read about them on wiki, and then listened to a few of their other tracks on playlist, mostly the songs wiki said were their singles/hits. Unfortunately on first listen none of those tracks were as up my alley as this one, though I may listen to them again some time to see if they grow on my after a listen.

5. Genesis - Keep It Dark

I was wary on the first listen to this, as the lyrics made me think: 'Oh no, Phil Collins has a message with a moral, and he's ready to share it with me...' I have to admit that I don't often care for Collins lyrics and lyrical style, but this song has grown on me a bit with subsequent listens. It has a catchy beat and synthesizer. It's a decent song. I wouldn't change the station if it came on the radio.

6. Har Mar Superstar - Power Lunch

I'm not familiar with this artist, but I found this to be and enjoyable and fun song. Based on this I may have to check out more Har Mar in the future...

7. Muse - Map Of The Problematique

Already familiar with this track and quite love it.. probably my favorite on the list.

8. Roisin Murphy - Overpowered

I liked this song at first, with it's catchy beat and soaring vocals, but then it just went on and on without changing or getting more interesting. It was just the same thing repeated for way too long I think... I guess that isn't uncommon for dance music though, so it is possible my problems are genre related rather than with the song.

9. The Ting Tings - Impacilla Carpisung

Another one I am familiar with having got the album last week. I do like this song, but it isn't one of my favorites on the album... which is actually a great thing, because if I like this song, but like most of the rest of them even more that just goes to show how awesome I think the rest of the album is. They're like the Anti-Keane, all up-tempo and up-beat.. Hopefully 'We Started Nothing' is one of the biggest albums of the summer both in the UK and US.

10. Keane - Fly To Me

Like most Keane songs, I was unimpressed after the first listen. I found with this track, as with their first album which is the only work of thiers I am familiar with, that it takes several listens for me to learn the songs and for them to catch on with me. And sure enough I caught this track going in my head last night. Ant once said on a Coldplay thread that listening to Coldplay made him want to shoot himself in the head (or something to that effect). Somehow, I think Keane are more deserving of that comment. It really seems like all of their music is super-slow, down-tempo, and melancholy. Even if the lyrical content is expressing hope like this one does, you still end up feeling mellowed out. They are a good band, but I find I need to be in a certain mood to listen to them.

11. Anne Dudley - Will You Still Be Waiting?

Nice little piece of music here. Short and sweet and leads perfectly into the Scott Walker song.

12. Scott Walker - Big Louise

I like this song, but I'm not sold on Scott Walkers singing style (I don't dislike it though). He sounds to me like he is trying to sing just a bit lower than what is natural for him, a problem I think Jarvis Cocker had on some of the earlier Pulp material.. This song reminds me of Harry Nilsson type songs with the strings and singing... Further listens have allowed me to concentrate more on the lyrics than the singing, and that is where I find the really beauty of the song.

In conlusion, they are all catchy, listenable songs. I've enjoyed them enough that I have listened to the list several times, and will probably continue to, treating it as an online album. The 'mixtape' is put together well, with the slower songs being surrounded by more uptempo stuff to keep the listener from dosing off, and the songs all lead into each other well.

A very nice job, Pip.
    Last edited by Jeff; 10th Jun 2008 at 3:59 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Cheers for listening to my songs Jeff, glad you enjoyed a few of them, particularly the Bloc Party track Roisin Murphy's more 'lighter' stuff may appeal to you, if you like her vocals. As for Pulp I'm glad you found them & love them

Oh, and Genesis' Keep It Dark isn't at all moralistic, it's just a rather bizarre story about a man who was abducted (supposedly by aliens) and taken to a world that was much brighter and happier than the world he normally lived in. Once he returned, however, he was told to lie about the incident (to "keep it dark") and instead claim that he was kidnapped by thieves who wanted to take his money. It's an odd song, it's in 6/4 time so you can't dance to it for a start but the riff is simple & catchy and there's some kick-ass drums. And I love the "oh, keep it dark" moment with all those weird crunching/chiming/ticking/whatever sounds in the background. Prog-pop is the word!

Jeff's Muxtape (Part One)

1-2. John Legend - Save Room / Stereo

First off, great vocals! 'Save Room' was nice and chilled out, liked the Hammond organ part in the background - I can imagine it being on an Austin Powers soundtrack And despite 'Stereo' being more up-to-date, I have to say I enjoyed it less. My sis would love it, I'm sure, she has some John Legend CDs.

3. Counting Crows - Chelsea

Very mellow, classy even, thanks to the horns. The piano sounded good although the riff was used a little too much, and the song went on a little too long for my liking. Not bad though!

4. The Walkmen - Louisiana

I remember the Walkmen, their album "Bows + Arrows" was critically acclaimed on this side of the Atlantic, despite selling very little. I hadn't heard anything since then, it was a bit of a surprise - Strokes-esque vocals with Spanish-sounding horns - but maybe it's a grower.

5. The Clash - Wrong 'Em Boyo

I'm noticing a pattern forming here, Mr Althoff likes horns/trumpets in his music? The word that came to mind was 'ska'. I'm not very familiar with the Clash beyond their hits, and I can't say it grabbed me.

6. Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime

Aha! A song I know! This song always reminds me of Only Fools and Horses, when Del Boy and Rodney get those Spanish senoritas back to their rooms only to find Grandad snoring away with his teeth on the bedside table It's not a song I could listen to regularly, but when it comes on the radio I end up swaying to the beat

7-8. Todd Rundgren - Wolfman Jack / Couldn't I Just Tell You

'Wolfman Jack' is a great little track! Just the right length, lots of soul & groovy vocals, definitely one for a party mixtape! 'Couldn't I Just Tell You' is pretty good too, very indie pop, it sounded fresh despite being over 35 years old. And again, just the right length. I'll be sure to check out more Rundgren in the future, cheers Jeff

9. Jackson Browne - These Days

I remember this from "The Royal Tenenbaums" film, it's nice to put a name to it. I'm a sucker for well-played fingerpicking acoustic guitar, and this song surely has that. Nice mellow, memorable song. I'll be getting this one too.

10. Syd Barrett - Bob Dylan Blues

Didn't get this one at all, I'm afraid. But then I've never liked Syd Barrett (or Pink Floyd for that matter) or the majority of Bob Dylan's output... speaking of which...

11-12. Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman / Queen Jane Approximately

He's massively popular with many, but I don't rate him ("Knocking On Heaven's Door and The Times They Are-A-Changin' aside). But then I like Phil Collins, so what do I know...

I'll do part two soon.

I'll have to get one of these soon. I'll take a listen to the one already up and running later but a big for Harry Nilsson's appearance on Jeff tapes.

I'm a big fan of his.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I've added my mix tape. Hope you'll give it a listen!

Si xx
    I've listened 5 times at least, and I'll put up some comments soon if I ever get a lull at work.

I'm looking forward to reading what you made of it Jeff.

Si xx

Si's Mix Tape

The only song I was familiar with on this list was America, by Simon & Garfunkel. The only other artists I was familiar with were David Bowie and Blur.

1. John Baker - New Worlds

Didn't care for it... a bit too odd for me I guess, but it IS short, so it works as an introductory track. If it were 3 1/2 minutes I would skip it, but I can listen to it at this length.

2. Jim Noir - Don't You Worry

Really like this track... one of my favorites on the list. I'm definitely going to look for more tracks of his to listen to...

3. Super Furry Animals - Trade Winds

A decent song, but not a favorite. Too impersonal for my taste, and too much chorus. Didn't care for the gimmick sound effects at the beginning and end, with the clapping going on way to long at the end. They sound like they may have other songs I like more though, so I will sample some of their other stuff.

4. Finn Brothers - Part of Me, Part of You

Not a favorite, I'm afraid, but good enough to listen to, and there are parts of the song I like. Overall it just seems a bit too 90's commercial adult contemporary or something though for my taste... the chorus is repeated too much. For me it is a good, listenable album track but not a hit single. (or perhaps 'liked it but didn't love it' would be a better way to put it)

5. Blur - All Your Life

Sort of the same as the last one as far as being an album filler, but not a single. I have a Blur 'Best Of...' album, and I really like some of the stuff, and don't care for some of the others... This is the style I don't care so much for (sounds like Parklife to me).. I found by studying the track list of that collection on wiki, that most of my favorites came from their later albums, Blur, and 13 and some from The Great Escape, rather than the earlier albums (Coffee & TV, Beetlebum, The Universal, and No Distance Left to Run were my favorites, End of a Century being the only standout for me that predated The Great Escape..) It might be a preference of who is doing the vocals though. But again, a listenable song.

6. Simon & Garfunkel - America

A great song, and not even a favorite S&G song for me, which shows how great I think they are, unfortunately I'm a bit over-familiar with it so I'm finding the other tracks more intersting... btw I prefer S&G's last 3 albums over the first 2.. to me every album of theirs was better than the one before it... too bad they couldn't get along with each other any longer.

7. Franz Ferdinand - Eleanor Put Your Boots On

Now this is one my favorites on your list. I've always meant to check out Franz and find out what the hype was about, and this will give me a reason to. Probably my second or third favorite on the list.

8. Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather for Ducks

Started out as a least favorite that I found a bit odd, and grew to be one of my favorites. As with Franz, this may be my 2nd or 3rd favorite. My favorite bit is when they break out the horns about halfway through the song. Very uplifting and funky-dance-worthy

9. David Bowie - Conversation Piece

My favorite on your list. What a beautiful song! Bowie has done so many different styles and I'm familiar with a lot of his hits from a 2 disc best of collection I used to own. It'd be great if you could tell me more about what era/album this is from.

10. Grandaddy - The Group Who Couldn't Say

Catchy song... really liked the bassline parts on it. I'll check out more of this too.

11. ABBA - One of Us

Not a big ABBA fan. Dancing Queen is all I really know, but I like to listen to it every once in a while on the radio, so I'm not a hater or anything. I like this song too..

12. Crowded House - She Goes On

Again, not really familiar with CH.. might recognize some song titles if you mentioned them, but couldn't name any. Like the previous track and several others this is a Liked it, didn't love it.. a good album track.

Overall I give it a thumbs up... Like Pip's list, I've listened to it a bunch of times and will continue to.. there's nothing here I don't mind listening to and 4 or 5 songs I really, really like.

1. John Baker - New Worlds

Didn't care for it... a bit too odd for me I guess, but it IS short, so it works as an introductory track. If it were 3 1/2 minutes I would skip it, but I can listen to it at this length.
    This is a vintage Radiophonic Workshop track that really appeals to me. I suppose I chose it because I've been listening to lots of their stuff recently, and I thought it was a perfect introduction to the compilation. I can understand why you don't like it- it's definitely not for everyone!

2. Jim Noir - Don't You Worry

Really like this track... one of my favorites on the list. I'm definitely going to look for more tracks of his to listen to...
    This is the most recent track on the mixtape, having only come out a couple of months back. I'm really pleased you liked it, as we're big fans here. he's a bit obscure really, but produces all these great, slightly eccentric tracks.

3. Super Furry Animals - Trade Winds

A decent song, but not a favorite. Too impersonal for my taste, and too much chorus. Didn't care for the gimmick sound effects at the beginning and end, with the clapping going on way to long at the end. They sound like they may have other songs I like more though, so I will sample some of their other stuff.
    This is one of their obscure B-sides, but one I always deserves a little more attention than it gets. If you kind of liked it then you'll love the rest of their stuff I think. The album tracks are generally a bit more focussed than this song is. Check out the albums Rings Around The World, Radiator and Phantom Power to hear them at the top of their game.

4. Finn Brothers - Part of Me, Part of You

Not a favorite, I'm afraid, but good enough to listen to, and there are parts of the song I like. Overall it just seems a bit too 90's commercial adult contemporary or something though for my taste... the chorus is repeated too much. For me it is a good, listenable album track but not a hit single. (or perhaps 'liked it but didn't love it' would be a better way to put it)
    Well to be fair it is a good listenable album track for a pretty strong album, but it is a song I keep coming back to time and again. Neil Finn is of course the lead singer/ writer from Crowded House who also appear at the end of the mix. There are probably stronger songs on the album, but I do really like this one.

5. Blur - All Your Life

Sort of the same as the last one as far as being an album filler, but not a single. I have a Blur 'Best Of...' album, and I really like some of the stuff, and don't care for some of the others... This is the style I don't care so much for (sounds like Parklife to me).. I found by studying the track list of that collection on wiki, that most of my favorites came from their later albums, Blur, and 13 and some from The Great Escape, rather than the earlier albums (Coffee & TV, Beetlebum, The Universal, and No Distance Left to Run were my favorites, End of a Century being the only standout for me that predated The Great Escape..) It might be a preference of who is doing the vocals though. But again, a listenable song.
    This was the b-side of the Beetlebum single, and I suppose I chose it because I was trying to find of their less well known songs to put on. I've always rather liked it but it doesn't really match up to their singles. Personally Beetlebum is my big favourite of their songs.

6. Simon & Garfunkel - America

A great song, and not even a favorite S&G song for me, which shows how great I think they are, unfortunately I'm a bit over-familiar with it so I'm finding the other tracks more intersting... btw I prefer S&G's last 3 albums over the first 2.. to me every album of theirs was better than the one before it... too bad they couldn't get along with each other any longer.
    I chose this one because although it isn't my favourite S &G song, it has lots of happy memories attached to it. Just great!

7. Franz Ferdinand - Eleanor Put Your Boots On

Now this is one my favorites on your list. I've always meant to check out Franz and find out what the hype was about, and this will give me a reason to. Probably my second or third favorite on the list.
    I'm glad you liked this one Jeff. This is the single version of the song, which is a more poppy than the rather mellow, gentle version on the album. They're definitely well worth checking out and are one of my favourite new bands of the last few years.

8. Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather for Ducks

Started out as a least favorite that I found a bit odd, and grew to be one of my favorites. As with Franz, this may be my 2nd or 3rd favorite. My favorite bit is when they break out the horns about halfway through the song. Very uplifting and funky-dance-worthy
    Lemon Jelly can take a while to get! I adore this track- it's so silly and uplifting and again I'm really pleased you liked it so much. It's a huge favourite in our house, but it quite often leaves people cold- they just don't get it. If you get a chance look up the vidoe on You Tube as it's really silly!

9. David Bowie - Conversation Piece

My favorite on your list. What a beautiful song! Bowie has done so many different styles and I'm familiar with a lot of his hits from a 2 disc best of collection I used to own. It'd be great if you could tell me more about what era/album this is from.
    Conversation Piece is a rather obscure track. It was originally written in 1970, but wasn't released and Bowie re-recorded it in 2003 for a bunus disc to go with the aslbum Heathen. I think it's great. Steve says it's a strange mix of early slightly more naive Bowie song with his slightly more world weary later voice, a mix that is really appealing. I love this song!

10. Grandaddy - The Group Who Couldn't Say

Catchy song... really liked the bassline parts on it. I'll check out more of this too.
    I just really like this one. It's from the album Sumday which i think is something of an overlooked classic.

11. ABBA - One of Us

Not a big ABBA fan. Dancing Queen is all I really know, but I like to listen to it every once in a while on the radio, so I'm not a hater or anything. I like this song too..
    This is my actual favourite ABBA track. It was their last big UK hit, from their final album The Visitors and I love the bittersweet atmosphere of the song.

12. Crowded House - She Goes On

Again, not really familiar with CH.. might recognize some song titles if you mentioned them, but couldn't name any. Like the previous track and several others this is a Liked it, didn't love it.. a good album track.
    Probably one of my all time favourite CH songs, after the mighty Distant Sun, I think Neil Finn's lyrics on this one are incredibly moving. It's from their 1991 album, Woodface and I think it's a bit of a grower. I didn't really notice it for ages but one day it just sort of stood out among the songs at the end of the album and I've loved it ever since. As everyone CH are my favourite band of all time, and if you liked this one I'd recommend checking them out further.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Jeff and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll try and repay the favour and give your mix a good listen.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Only one Genesis track Pip? You're just taken your first step into a larger Universe!