Default Does anybody remember Thomas the Tank Engine?

Whilst sorting through some old books, I discovered about 10 or so of the Thomas the Tank Engine books by the Reverend W. Awdry. My dad used to read them to me, many years ago, and I was just wondering whether anyone here knows about these books?

Oh yes. I grew up having them read to me, and later when my borther was small I read them to him... then they brought it to TV and it became a big, big thing... but the books were all we had when I was young and they were great stories.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Happy days...

WhiteCrow Guest

My son loved them - I've probably read every one to him, and a lot better than Ringo Star.

Well, I've just moved about two feet to my right and found the Ladybird editions of 'Thomas's Christmas Party' and 'Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree' on the shelf. Before anyone gets alarmed, my mum is a teacher so all my old kids books get fairly regular use still. As an 80s child I knew Thomas primarily from the TV and Ladybird books, but I think there's some of the original Railway Series books around somewhere in a dusty attic, probably in my gran's side of the house.

You've probably made me want to go and have a look for them now!

I wish the BRIO wooden railways people still did the little models of them all. I really wanted them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    My son loved them - I've probably read every one to him, and a lot better than Ringo Star.
    You do realise there were about 40 books?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    You do realise there were about 40 books?
    Depends if you're a Rev W. Awdry traditionalist and only consider his books canon

Although nothing quite beats Willie Rushton's readings of the books (although Johnny Morris comes close - I found some copies of the his readings I got many years ago and was instantly whisked back 20 years by them )

Just a shame the TV series in recent years really pales in comparison to the old Ringo Starr ones (and the less said about the American redubbings of them the better)...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

My (almost) 2 yr old son loves the television show, and we have several on DVD for him... plus toys, pyjamas, bed sheets and blankets, and recently:

(thats a stock photo, btw, not his actual bedroom) the bed itself. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited!

Not sure if he has any of the books though...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Depends if you're a Rev W. Awdry traditionalist and only consider his books canon
    What others were there, apart from Henry and the Flying Kipper?

There were 4 stories in each book, as I remember. They were all set on the Island of Sodor on a little railway run by The Fat Controller.

Edward was my favourite engine. He was really useful.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Just a shame the TV series in recent years really pales in comparison to the old Ringo Starr ones (and the less said about the American redubbings of them the better)...
    I don't know.. the song is bloody awful but they've got Pierce Brosnan narrating the next series!

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    What others were there, apart from Henry and the Flying Kipper?
    After the Rev. ran out of ideas, everything from Book 27 onwards was done by his son Christopher Awdry following a 10 year break.

Plus it would be interesting to get hold of one of the original copies of Henry the Green Engine, since the original version had Henry wooshing some bad boys and leaving them as "black as n*ggers' - apparently following some complaints he rewrote it to 'black as soot'...

And oddly enough Edward used to be my favourite as well
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Ahhh, those were the days.

I remember those books.

And then I remember my mum telling me that the she had given them away because she thought I had grown out of them, and I was most upset!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Phil L View Post
    Ahhh, those were the days.

I remember those books.

And then I remember my mum telling me that the she had given them away because she thought I had grown out of them, and I was most upset cross!
    Fixed that for you!

(at least everyone seems to be described as 'cross' in the videos)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee Bailey View Post
    I don't know.. the song is bloody awful but they've got Pierce Brosnan narrating the next series!
    I've noticed several of my sons were narrated by George Carlin, and I've always been like: naaaah, it must be a different George Carlin, someone with the same name... but after knowing they have celebrities and listening to the voice, I figure it probably is him... which really strikes me as odd given the content of his stand up comedy and other things he's been in... are they lining up Samuel L Jackson for a future stint?

"And then Thomas looked at Henry and said 'Mothaf***a!, What you smokin', b***h?'"

William loves Thomas and we have an assortment of books and cds and dvd's.

Its interesting to note that Ringo Starr only narrated the first few series. The bulk of the episodes are narrated by Ringo sound-alike Michael Angelis.