Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Sorry Duncan, I bear you no malice but you just don't seem to be grasping the essential point....

There are, and never have been, any rules involved in the story selection! Or rather, the only rule is, the thread starter chooses the stories! So there has been NO rule changes!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Larry doesn't like the DJ. That appears to be it.

absoloutly spot on..

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    So you don't like it simply because lots of other people like it?

Si.

well I like The Twin Dillema and lots of people hate that..

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    absoloutly spot on..
    Hardly a basis for voting it out? I don't like the dj either, but there's a lot more to Revelation than just that!

Every story in far more than the sum of it's parts though, isn't it?

The bubble-wrap Wirrin larvae is laughable in it's realisation (looking back it at now, at least) but it doesn't put me off Ark in Space, my favourite DW story of all (perhaps because Rodney Bennett wisely kept its on-screen time to a brief second or two). The Magma creature in Caves is far worse and that doesn't put me off the story either - same goes for the giant rat in Talons.

Each to his/her own though, I suppose. If you don't like a story, that's just the way it is.

I can overlook poorly realised effects (Talons' rat). I can also often overlook plot holes as long as the story is enjoyable enough to make me not care (Ressurection of the Daleks/Five Doctors). I can even enjoy a story with poor performances (Planet of the Spiders).

Revelation has a poorly realised effect (the statue of the Doctor), but it still fails in my book because the story isn't particularly that solid and although it's been mentioned it has an almost Holmesian dialogue, it doesn't really manage it, I'm sorry but it doesn't in my opinion. Two Doctor has Holmes' inimitable dialogue and shines because of it, Revelation's dialogue is nothing more than a poor imitation.

I do like William Gaunt's character, and I think the Orcini/Bostock double act is worthy of being compared to some of Holmes' double acts, but the rest is not up to scratch.

Your basis of not liking it seems to be "I've compared it to the work of Doctor Who's most popular writer and it's not quite as good". A bit unfair, IMO!

Si.

Your basis of not liking it seems to be "I've compared it to the work of Doctor Who's most popular writer and it's not quite as good". A bit unfair, IMO!
    I state someone mentioned great dialogue and I'm disagreeing with that bit. The reason I dislike the story is this bit...

Revelation has a poorly realised effect (the statue of the Doctor), but it still fails in my book because the story isn't particularly that solid

You're not convincing me I'm afraid Paul! The story not being "solid" and one dodgy effect doesn't seem like a good reason! But then, of course, you don't NEED to give any reasons why you don't like it. Sometimes one just a natural dislike for the "feel" of a story - that's how it is with me and "Ghost Light" anyway.

Si.

Sometimes one just a natural dislike for the "feel" of a story - that's how it is with me and "Ghost Light" anyway.
    Actually, I'm like that with Frontios and Terror of the Zygons. I can't put my finger on why I'm not keen on them, they just don't...spark my enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    The Mark of the Rani 0
    The Mysterious Planet 2

I can't even remember that one..... no accounting for taste I suppose...