Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I think all the remaining 60s episodes have been released now Stu, haven't they?

I'm not sure I can justify buying these to myself, despite the enjoyment I might get from them. Certainly not until we get to the 80s episodes, when the nostalgia kicks in. It'd be bloody expensive for a start and I have a mortgage to pay! However, in principle its a good thing, epsecially to see that Crossroads is the first UK soap to get the treatment.
    If it was the 2001/2 series, I'd be there though!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

£12.99 for 16 episodes isn't too expensive. That's over five hours per release, better than most regular TV series DVDs.

Needless to say, I'm not interested in collecting them.

WhiteCrow Guest

Rewatching old soaps is a skill I just don't have - it's like winding a computer back to it's factory settings, but with your brain.

My wife can quite happily watch a several year old episode of Eastenders, but I'm all "are they still together?", "is she not dead yet then?", "have they had the baby yet".

My wife then looks at me, and says in that special way of hers, "*** off!!!".

I believe there are 2 unreleased 60s episodes,and with as few as 2 surviving episodes from 1970(indeed until 1974 the longest consecutive run of episodes to survive totals 22),it will be disjointed at best,as much as I love Crossroads,Network have in the past released 1 series of a particular show then not released any more.If they get to the 80s,I may dip in and out,although I do think the best episodes from the 70s have already been released

At least 4 new episodes have been recovered 2 from 1973 and 2 off air recordings-all to be included on future vols

Here's the details of all the recently recovered material:

In the last few weeks there have been a number of discoveries - and in some cases rediscoveries - of Crossroads archive material.

* Three episodes from 1976/7, recovered from home video cassettes (Philips N1500). These episodes do not exist on a master format, so these are the only surviving copies. One of these was recorded off air from Westward Television (episode 2521 - Vera sacks Sheila) and the other two came from the collection of the late Zeph Gladstone, who played Miss Vera. Playback of these ageing and now wildly obsolete cassettes was undertaken by Lucinda Woodward of London's The Video Ark (http://www.videoark.co.uk)

* Most - if not all - of the sequences filmed outside the studio on location and played into studio, some dating back to the earliest monochrome days of the series. This hoard seems to include the 1967 Spain/Tunisia sequences!

* Two monochrome telerecordings of 1973 episodes, originally broadcast in colour and also now not extant on master format. These episodes were last seen as clips on Crossroads Revisited (1985) and Open Air (1988).

Network DVD have already announced the inclusion of episode 2521, recovered from home video, on a forthcoming archive DVD volume, and will shortly be appraising the other material for technical quality, clearance position and possibility of release.

I'm sure all Crossroads fans will be pleased with this latest news, and so on their behalf CAS thanks all involved at ITV in locating these items from a much lost era of Crossroads.

It's a good haul! Be good to see the Tunisia footage!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Episodes 1883 and 1885 from I think 1973 and featuring a Dudley Zoo storyline have also been recovered

A couple of audio episodes have also been recovered one from 1969 which culminates in a black magic storyline featuring Jill and Diane

Also various VT footage some of which is rumoured to feature tantalisingly early stuff such as Carlos fighting his twin on the Eiffel Tower from 1967

All this plus the arrival of Archive Vol 3

Volume 4 is up on the Network site for pre-order.

I've been enjoying volume one this week, there's some sparkling episodes there, all presented with the usual Crossroads flair and wit, and with a liberal sprinkling of ham and corn.
    It's great to see a lot of old faces after so many years, some of which have appeared in Doctor Who, and not forgetting that some of the episodes were also written by Doctor Who writers, Peter Ling, Malcolm Hulke and Philip Hinchcliffe.
    This is all good stuff, keep 'em coming. Oh! and if you're well into Crossroads, check out Emergency Ward Ten, the fifties hospital soap which had an impresssive run between 1957 and 1967, there are a lot of familiar faces in that one too.

Crossroads episode by episode coming soon

Episode 496 from November 1966

This is the earliest surviving episode of the greatest motel saga in the world and things start off darkly as Sarah Maynard(for reasons unknown?) is apparantly contemplating suicide,fortunately hubby Derek and his sister in law Ruth Bailey are on hand to save the day...

Its a tale of misunderstandings this episode as Ruth's fiance Andy pours his heart out to Meg(thinking Ruth is up to no good) before they're reunited at the episodes end...

More misunderstandings come in the form of waitress Marilyn Gates aka Audrey from Corrie who's proposed to by soldier Bill not something she wants as she promptly tells Italian chef Carlos and his wife Josefina...

Elsewhere Meg is also being proposed by artist Jimmy who has decided she is the Face of the Midlands and asks her to pose for a mural...

A good start but hardly any familiar faces bar Meg...

more to follow...

On a small side note Archive Vol 5 is also available to order now

Episode 497 from November 1966

Following Marilyn's comedy rape(don't ask) and subsequent unwanted marriage proposal Bill Baker's "wife" turns up at reception...

Elsewhere Meg's brother Andy is getting married to Ruth and is sold a honeymoon to Spain for £80,by chef Carlos;he breaks the news while Meg is shampooing her hair.Somewhat bizzarely Meg is towelling her hair,which is completely dry

If that isn't enough Meg's sister Kitty notices a nude picture in the local paper.No such scandel however as it isn't Meg,merely her head on another body from her days at art college...

Ah, the dry hair towelling is an iconic moment! Nolly really ruled that roost and no mistake.

Episode 498 from November 1966

Turns out Bill's "wife" Belle isn't his wife at all and it was merely a ruse to dissuade Marilyn from marrying him which she didn't wanna do anyway(a bit convoluted if you ask me)

Elsewhere Sandy is being astonishingly annoying popping up everywhere just to practice his best mans speech,but his annoyance will be short lived as he's swanning off to Southampton on a journalism course...

The big news is Angela(who I hear u ask) has gone off hill climbing or something,but risks her eyesight as Derek(who is Richard Madely in all but name) gets news that somebody has donated his corneas and the race is on to find her...

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post

..Meg is shampooing her hair.Somewhat bizzarely Meg is towelling her hair,which is completely dry
    That scene is so funny as her hair is so obviously dry, and then the end of part one caption comes up and she has a silly smile on her face as she pops a little curly bit at the front back under the towel.
    AHH.. that's Crossroads for you, always helps to raise a smile. Wait till you get to the pink gin and goulash Budapest episode, it'll have you in hysterics.

Oh! and going back to ep 497, don't you just love the bit where Marilyn is trying to get out of marrying Bill when the action just stops and the camera focuses on an ornamental glass fish. All the rage they were, my mother had about three of the things at one time on the sideboard.

BTW, doesn't Miss Tatum, remind you of Odo from Deep Space Nine?
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 18th Apr 2008 at 7:54 PM.

I forgot to mention the ornamental fish moment and as for Miss Tatum she's up to no good very shortly

Episode 499 from November 1966

Angela turns up safe and well though she's obviously not that in need of corneas as she has time to prop up the motel reception before being carted off to hospital.As she does so we get to see the first appearance of top icon(and a very young,almost Liver Birds-ish) Diane Lawton;while Marilyn is given the chance to perve at loads of soldiers...

Elsewhere the high drama never ends as Sandy is in court testifying against motel stalwart Miss Tatum's dog Jupiter for sheep worrying;The dog is sentenced to death unless its living in a city so Miss Tatum promptly carts Sandy off to Portsmouth to be her lodger.This news is obviously too much for Sandy as he promptly throws a biro in the wedding cake Carlos is working on prompting a very near corpsing fit from Noele Gordon

And so to Meg,who after posing for her mural hits the roof upon discovering that Jimmy Hanley has once again grafted her head onto somebody elses body

Episode 500 from November 1966

It's mostly thanks to Sue Nicholls that this episode exists;did she slip it into her purse I wonder Or maybe its bcause it features a lengthy sequence of Marilyn soldier watching,with not much else going on

Back at the Motel and Meg's foul mood continues unabated,"I can't stand all the noise" she cries despite it being ominously quiet

This is all down to Meg's brother Andy getting married in a kilt,with lots of guests attired in suitably flowery swimming caps

While back at the hospital Angela(a potential Nanette Newman lookalike) prepares for her cornea operation...

Episode 986 from November 1968

And it all starts in the antique shop with Diane bemoaning Marcus for undercharging a customer before flirting with him.Flirting is a big theme this episode with several familiar and iconic faces all trying their luck in reception with a new guest who is basically all polo neck.He's interested in Jill(looking very blonde),but this doesn't stop top icon and charlady extraordinaire Amy Turtle who trys to impress him with her ashtray polishing skills

It doesn't stop chef Mr Lovejoy either,who is obviously trying to impress with Whoopi Goldberg's hat from Star Trek The Next Generation

Elsewhere Vince is looking after the post office while Miss Tatum is in hospital besiged by offers of sticking newspaper articles in a scrapbook by yet another icon Tish Hope Vince has got a mate who wants to knock over the post office...

As if this isn't enough to be going on with Meg and hubby Malcolm Ryder are being told ghost stories in their new cottage about bodys in walls-quite frankly its not hard to see why he tried to poison her,judging by her reaction

...He's interested in Jill(looking very blonde),but this doesn't stop top icon and charlady extraordinaire Amy Turtle who trys to impress him with her ashtray polishing skills
    Notice the way she flutters her eyes at him like Daisy the cow.

It doesn't stop chef Mr Lovejoy either,who is obviously trying to impress with Whoopi Goldberg's hat from Star Trek The Next Generation

Elsewhere Vince is looking after the post office while Miss Tatum is in hospital besiged by offers of sticking newspaper articles in a scrapbook by yet another icon Tish Hope Vince has got a mate who wants to knock over the post office...
    Lovejoy's big hat is awesome isn't it.

As for Vince, I can't take to the character at all, I don't know what it is about him, but even in his hospital scenes in the later episode I can't seem to muster any sympathy for him, and in even later episodes he comes over as quite a nasty character when his father turns up and turns on Diane because of this, but he does redeem himself much later when he saves Vera Downend from blackmail.

Episode 1009 from January 1969

Vince is in hospital suffering from potentially lethal temporary sympathetic loss of vision.Why you ask?

Well it's all down to Meg who knocked him off his bike and is now almost certainly heading to the Crossroads equivilant of Wentworth Detention Centre for dangerous driving...

It's not all doom and gloom however when Diane and garage worker Bill Cairns mess about with some dry ice type contraption straight out of a christmas edition of TOTP...

Episode 1009 from January 1969

Vince is in hospital suffering from potentially lethal temporary sympathetic loss of vision.Why you ask?

Well it's all down to Meg who knocked him off his bike and is now almost certainly heading to the Crossroads equivilant of Wentworth Detention Centre for dangerous driving...

It's not all doom and gloom however when Diane and garage worker Bill Cairns mess about with some dry ice type contraption straight out of a christmas edition of TOTP...
    Its a shame those "Meg in prison" episodes no longer exist, I remember them well, but if I recall correctly she was soon out anyway as the sentence was changed to a probationary one. Shame the online episode guides are so vague.

As for that contraption Diane and Bill are working on, well, it looks just like what it is, a cardboard tube. And just as it starts to go berserk Bill suddenly remembers that Meg's accident was all his fault.
    BTW, did you notice Vince's nurse's clipped received pronunciation, she speaks awfully oddly.

I think I'm right in saying that shortly after Noele Gordon passed away, they repeated an old interview with her (at least they did on our ITV region) and during the show one poor old dear in the audience praised Noele up for spending all that time in prison - the host of the show (can't remember now who it was) had to tactfully point out that she hadn't really been locked up...

Going back to episode 1009 for a moment

And one of the great so good its bad lines from Meg is uttered "If only I'd swerved to avoid that cat"(instead of sending Vince blind)

Plus in arguably our first Doctor Who connection since the appearance of Wendy Padbury(now missing;and Terrance Dicks storylines not withstanding);this episode and the three existing before it were all directed by Rollo Gamble aka Squire Winstanley from The Daemons...