Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Vol 4 is missing the recently recovered episode 2300,so I'm hoping this will see the light of day,maybe on another limited edition release,which should also feature the film clips that were also recently discovered...

As for Amy Turtle,if you ask anyone what they remember about Crossroads they usually say Benny and the dodgy scripts,storylines,acting usually typified by Amy...

Ann George is so bad she's good and Amy proved popular enough to return 10years later,I don't think that feat was ever repeated

It would be nice having another episode from '75 re. episode 2300, and as episode 2519 has been recovered and restored from a Phillips videocassette it bodes well for future episodes if recovered. I'm confident that more will turn up, these DVDs have risen the profile of missing episodes more than any treasure hunt has recently achieved. I really do believe that the forthcoming archive addenda volume will be the first of many.

Episode 1688 from April 1972

You can tell the 70s have arrived as David Hunter is now at the motel complete with large fur coat

There's two noticeable fluffs in this episode the first from Meg "The early worm catches the fattest bird or is it the other way round" and later when Meg is having her nails done Sandy repeats the phrase "Cut price deal" for no apparant reason...

The whole episode is very much a family affair,with Jill telling Meg that Stan has decided they're swanning off to Australia to live...

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post
    There's two noticeable fluffs in this episode the first from Meg "The early worm catches the fattest bird or is it the other way round" and later when Meg is having her nails done Sandy repeats the phrase "Cut price deal" for no apparant reason...

That is an excellent recovery from a fluffed line on Noelle's part though Stu.
    But there's more fluffs to come I can assure you, Susan Hanson has a beauty in one forthcoming episode

Episode 1736 from July 1972

This ones a bit of a humdrum episode.Meg arranges cover for her sister in law at the travel agency,Miss Tatum polishes apples,Vera pulls her seemingly one expression of permenantly confused and brazen hussy Cynthia Cunningham makes her debut flirting with both Timothy Hunter and Ted Hope...

An snippet from the Sun so take it as you wish:

A missing episode from 1968 has been "uncovered" in an unmarked tin and will be shown for free on itv.com from tomorrow.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

First I've heard but great news if its true

Elsewhere vol 5,6 and 1:1 have just arrived-thats my afternoon set up

I'm having problems getting stuff from the Network site. I should have two of them pre-ordered, but I've never had any notifications or anything from them and whenever I go back to the site I get the same thing sending me through to the worldpay thingy.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I dnt use their website,an ebay dealer who gets all the network titles at discounted prices,thus I only paid 24quid for all 3 sets and free postage

Apparantly The Sun got their dates wrong,the missin episode they report is number 125

I didn't use their website, an ebay dealer who gets all the network titles at discounted prices, thus I only paid 24 quid for all 3 sets and free postage
    I think I should start looking for discounts the rate these are coming out.

I'm ahead of you on 1.1 I watched it on Monday, there's some good stuff there, especially some location filming with Carlos and Josephina on ep 125. Their dubbed on dialogue makes it seem like something from a Benny Hill show.

Sorry to jump the gun on you here Stu, but I'm well ahead of you and I wanted to make a few comments on episode 2506 from March 1976.
    Bill Warren, a smarmy git if ever there was one, is renovating the bar, if you can call it renovating, I don't recall ever seeing that corner of the set before, and certainly didn't know there was a bar there. Warren comes into conflict with David Hunter, easy to see why as Warren doesn't actually seem to be doing any work and is content just to talk to his boys. Apparently he's been making a play for Avis Tennyson, (you'll recognise actress Helen Durward from Spearhead From Space where she plays the nurse who aids a recovering third Doctor) a rather pathetic creature who made her first appearence in an earlier episode, and who's her character seems based on 1940's British film and TV star Kathleen Harrison. Avis has fled her job in acute embarrasment at Warren's advances and gone to work in another hotel, and no one wants to tell Warren where she has gone.
    In a scene in the motel staff room, another corner of the set we don't normally see, Mrs. Witton discusses this with the new cook just as Warren enters.
    Incidentally, in this particular scene Mrs. Witton enters and picks up a carving knife to slice open a packet of biscuits, I remember this scene vividly as it's a habit I picked up from this very episode, slicing the packet with a knife saves fiddling around trying to find the loose end at the top of the packet, it's something I've done ever since seeing her do it.
    Also in this episode Benny and Josie Welch make their earliest existing appearences, neither are characters I really took to, and the Lia Hua/David Hunter storyline has begun. Lia Hua is played by June Bolton who, later as Emily Bolton, played Christina Campbell in Tenko and Manuela in the James Bond film Moonraker.
    I've still got a few episodes to watch on this volume, one of them being the compilation of four episodes from April '76 in which David Hunter's past in the National Service catches up with him as he is stalked by the sole survivor of a massacre of innocent civilians. "Ah! Miss Hua"
    No doubt this will be the usual mixture of high camp and high drama, and there's more to come on volume five.

It turns out that the missing episode being found is true. It's episode 126 and will be released to a web exclusive DVD soon.

http://www.itv.com/BestofITV/soaps/B...s/default.html
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

No need to worry about jumping the gun I've still got a season of Dallas,season 2 of Dynasty,series 4/5 of Howards' Way,Moving Wallpaper/Echo Beach and Emergency Ward 10 alongside Prisoner:Cell Block H so Crossroads will just ave to wait

No need to worry about jumping the gun I've still got a season of Dallas,season 2 of Dynasty,series 4/5 of Howards' Way,Moving Wallpaper/Echo Beach and Emergency Ward 10 alongside Prisoner:Cell Block H so Crossroads will just ave to wait

I'm in the middle of Dallas season eight, Donna Reed as Miss Ellie continues to astonish me with her portrayal, how could the series producers hope that we could accept such a different take on the character, and I've decided I don't like Pamela, her naivety and non acceptance of Mark Grayson's death is unbelievable. I suspect it's another JR plot.
    Dynasty's high camp doesn't interest me, I never could get on with that show, similar feelings about Howards Way, again, not something I followed, But I did enjoy Prisoner Cell Block H, Viv and I followed that not long after we got married, and we are currently enjoying the high drama of Emergency Ward 10, I hope there are going to be more volumes of that series.

Viv hasn't been watching Crossroads with me, but I'm hooked on it atm, I shall be watching some more of it later on.

Dallas is worth watching purely for the fantastic Linda Grey as Sue Ellen,Howards Way gets better with age and has the best theme tune ever

Dynasty is sheer camp indulgence,Cell Block H has always been uber iconic and Emergency Ward 10 is surprisingly hard hitting,Carole Ann Ford has just turned up as a brazen hussy applying for a job

Has anyone watched the lost episode yet?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Has anyone watched the lost episode yet?
    The 1965 episode? Yes, it's on the latest DVD, vol. 1.1 along with two b/w eps from 1973.

I've just watched eps 2518 and 2519 from April 1976. David Hunter has received a threatening letter from Lia wishing him dead, she later turns up in the bar with Dr. Farnham and has hysterics over a tomato juice. David Hunter, as wooden as ever doesn't know how to react. Lia then goes missing.
    Diane and uncle Ed are concerned about Benny's whereabouts when it emerges he is searching for his father, who later has a heated argument with Benny's gran over his welfare.
    Sheila has been moonlighting, styling hair in the evenings after work, Mrs. Witton lets slip to Vera, who is naturally fuming and confronts Sheila about it. During the heated argument Vera sacks Sheila who couldn't care less about being sacked as she feels she can no longer work with Vera anyway, during the course of the argument she comes out with a corker of a line, "If I'd wanted to mix with skunk I'd go to Dudley zoo" I roared, Viv thought there was something wrong with me. Cue episode titles over Vera's fuming face.

Incidentally, episode 2519 is an episode recovered from a domestic video recording, the quality is pretty good, and if rewound at the start you get a nice bit of Westward tv continuity.

thats the infamous Dudley Zoo episode

I've a soft spot for Sonia Fox aka Sheila Harvey,she seems to be one of the few cast members with some actual acting ability

I've a soft spot for Sonia Fox aka Sheila Harvey,she seems to be one of the few cast members with some actual acting ability
    Yes indeed, she was very good in a 1965 Danger Man episode I watched a few weeks back. The Affair at Castelevera where she played a South American revolutionary.

Well having watched the compilation of episodes that conclude volume 4, I can sorely say how disappointing the showdown between Lia Hua and David Hunter was.
    At the beginning of the ep. Dr. Farnham and David Hunter discuss the disappearence of a scalpel from the former's surgery. Lia has disappeared, taking with her the scalpel. David Hunter is visited by a rather stiff policewoman who questions him about Lia's disappearence. Lia later turns up at the motel and goes into the sitting room where Angela Kelly, Hunter's latest girlfriend who has just returned after a number of months away reporting in the Amazon, is waiting for his return. Lia and Kelly chat amiably away like old friends, Kelly blissfully unaware of Lia's boiling rage even offers her one of the ever present trays of tea. Enter David Hunter, who has been told that Kelly is waiting for him, he is unaware of Lia's presence. Now, at this point I was expecting a blast of some dramatic music, but I'd forgotten this was Crossroads I was watching. Lia springs up from her seat, scalpel in hand ready to chip away at the old block, but without even the slightest show of emotion from Hunter, Lia drops the scalpel just as Dr. Farnham comes through the door and leads her away. Lia is not seen after this until well into the next block of episodes, although it is mentioned that she is "recovering".
    Elsewhere in this episode, Benny is given a thousand pounds by his father, Tommy Reed, which he puts into an account and immediately gives it to Ed Lawton in order to run the farm as it should be run.

Volume five begins with another compilation of episodes, 2597/8/9/30. from May 1976.
    Not a lot happens, Lia, recovering from her "moment of madness" decides to go back home to Malaya and become a nurse, Diane wants Uncle Ed to offer Benny a partnership in the farm, Benny is more interested in his comic, Josie is more interested in Benny, maybe not for his body but more for the money that he's been given, and, talking of money, apart from the threat of having to close down the salon due to fast reducing profits, Vera gets mugged for the £60 she's carrying in her cashbox, Bill Warren, the only witness to the assault becomes the only suspect when he expresses his wish to buy a new car.
    Oh! and while Jill and Stan are packing their things away in readiness for moving to their new home, we learn that all they have for Stan's tea is Meg's home made chutney pickle, Meg has time to make chutney pickle?? She's currently in Australia by the way.
    The episode ends when Kelly receives a phone call from Steve, who it would appear is an ex boyfriend, or maybe husband. It's all very mysterious, I shall have to go to Crossroads retold to find out what happens next as we now have a huge gap of episodes, the next lot are from August 1976.

Great review Stephen!
    I should be able to join in a little more soon, as I've got my problems with Network DVD sorted out and the DVDs I ordered have been posted today.

Personally I really like Ronald Allen's understated performance. I realise that it's not actually that good, but its very funny, reaching a peak when Rosemary shoots him!

Si xx

Going back to Vol 1:1 and Episode 125,which is a strange affair.It starts with zooming titles in the style of Superman The Movie and continues with an ex jailbird seeking money from her estranged husband.Elsewhere theres a very young looking Meg(with Noele not sounding very Meg like) and Hugh-obviously trying his luck with her...

Elsewhere Carlos swans off to the Malverns with Josefina while his bike breaks down and antics in a girls public school ensue-the bad dubbing doesn't help this even if the location work is welcome

Fascinating viewing and I have to say I prefer the original reception/kitchen set it looks more busy somehow

Despite saying I wasn't going to get any of the archive releases, I caved in and I've been having a great time watching the 1973 episodes this week.
    It's a curious experience seeing some of the consecutive and near consecutive episodes. There are some where absolutely nothing happens and some that seem very plotty and some that just seem to plod along and a bizarre one where Sandy, Diane and others stand around in the garden watching a cabaret act do impressions of the top acts of the day.

I've grown to really like Vera Downend and Jane Smith, I've found the Harvey family some of the most miserable wretches in the history of soap, realised that Meg knows everything about everything (and she's wonderful too!) and that Amy Turtle is as annoying as Stephen said! Sorry Stu, she's just terrible!
    There hasn't been enough Jill though

Si xx

Vera Downend is rubbish,she can only use one facial expression thankfully they replaced her character with the far far superior Sharon Metcalfe who is basically Vera in all but name,personality and acting ability

And you are missing the point of Amy Turtle-she's meant to be terrible

Vera Downend is rubbish,she can only use one facial expression thankfully they replaced her character with the far far superior Sharon Metcalfe who is basically Vera in all but name,personality and acting ability

And you are missing the point of Amy Turtle-she's meant to be terrible
    Ahh, maybe I am missing the point!
    You're right about the similiarities between Vera and Sharon, and certainly Sharon is the better character of the two (better actress too, certainly) but I really don't mind Vera at all. Zeph may only have one expression, but I still really warmed to her.
    Oh and I forgot to mention Diane! I love Diane! He attempting to get Vince to buy new furniture for their flat tactics were amusing!

Si xx