Thread: RTD OBE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RTD OBE

From OG:

Russell T Davies, the lead writer and executive producer of Doctor Who and the man who has spearheaded the revival of the programme since 2003, has been created an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire - OBE - in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. One of the highest civilian honours available to a British subject, the OBE is awarded by the Queen, on the advice of the Government, and has been given to Davies for his services to drama.

The Times quotes Davies as saying: "I'm delighted to accept, and I hope it does the whole industry a bit of good, for the writing of television drama to be recognised." Davies is the second Doctor Who producer to have been accorded the honour - the late Verity Lambert was given an OBE in 2002
    Congtulations RTD

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well deserved I'd say.

WhiteCrow Guest

Yes well deserved. I guess there'll be more than one queen in Buckingham palace when he picks that up.

they give these things out like smarties these days

Nothing for David T though! For shame.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Tennant can have a Knighthood when Tom Baker becomes Galactic Emperor.

Congratulations to RTD That's wonderful.

I'm sure when David Tennant is in his 50's he'll have the full set of medals.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Still no knighthood for Tom though

In all seriousness though, it's quite nice that RTD is getting a nod, and is getting it mainly (let's be honest) for Doctor Who. I have to say I think Ralph's right in that they seem a bit too free & easy with these things nowadays, and I'm not sure the entertainment industry is really that deserving of them (I don't quite get the correlation between an honour and appearing in x-numbers of a popular sitcom) but if they're going to be given out then chuck 'em Doctor Who's way by all means.

Do we have to refer to him as RTDOBE now though?

They should probably consider combining the Queen's Birthday Honours List with the BAFTAs. As it is they're just stepping on each other's toes at the moment.

[Goodies]They should make him an Earl as well as an OBE, then he'd be an earlobe[/Goodies].
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

@Lissa's quote.

Congrats to Rusty Davies.

well done to Russell...

Captain Tancredi Guest

I find it slightly strange in that to my mind awards and honours should be given for a body of work rather than for a 20-year career. Mind you, the oddest honour seems to me to be the New Zealand Order of Merit- in a country of about 4 million, they give out 250 a year. They've already been doing it for twelve years, so in another four years 0.1% of the population will have one.

The entertainment industry must surely must be the most recognised for "achievement" on the planet - I don't see any other group of people who are often more rewarded in wealth, status as well as praise. In my view of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    they give these things out like smarties these days
    Where's mine then? Where's Pip's Order of Merit? or Si Hunt's KBE?

Sack the Queen and put Lissa in charge or I'll send The Lads round! Then RTD can have as many gongs as he likes! And good luck to him!

I feel strangely better for that...

I'm a bit surprised, like Ian, that he's been given a medal for relatively little (RTD, not Ian), compared to, say, Bruce Forsythe or Des O'Connor, or Joe Calsaghe, whose charity work has at least been noted. Ah well, we all should get our medals at Christmas, the way they're handed out these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Where's mine then? Where's Pip's Order of Merit? or Si Hunt's KBE?
    All in good time my friend...all in good time....

And what about Lissa becoming Queen, eh? I dunno, bloody Republicans...

They should probably consider combining the Queen's Birthday Honours List with the BAFTAs. As it is they're just stepping on each other's toes at the moment.
    That's a bit unfair, they give out plenty more of these honours to lollipop ladies, foster parents, charity workers etc, but they don't get reported because most people in the country don't know who 'June, 84, amateur astronomer and community volunteer' is. Unless you go looking for them then you only hear about the celebs.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Thinking about it a bit more yesterday, I did wonder whether post-devolution the recommendations for honours for Wales came from a separate list- in which case RTD is also being honoured as the public face of confidence in the arts in Wales and a sudden mushrooming in the amount of drama being recorded there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee Bailey View Post
    That's a bit unfair, they give out plenty more of these honours to lollipop ladies, foster parents, charity workers etc, but they don't get reported because most people in the country don't know who 'June, 84, amateur astronomer and community volunteer' is. Unless you go looking for them then you only hear about the celebs.
    It's a fair point Kaybee but perhaps if the celebs have the means of recognition in place as they do with a myriad of awards each and every year then it nonetheless makes this overkill?

I don't think it's overkill. I think it's great that people should be rewarded for their work.

It's not as if they all have to go and sit in the House of Lords
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

They probably wouldn't want to with Jeffrey there

Pip Madeley Guest

RTD collected his OBE today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7754540.stm

Can anyone lip read? I bet Charles was asking him if "that blackie" is the new Who.

As your Lord President, I bestow the Order of Rassilon on each and every one of you! Congratulations for your contibutions to PS!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Can anyone lip read? I bet Charles was asking him if "that blackie" is the new Who.
    Nonononono! Charles is the one with the ears - it's his dad who goes around saying things like that!