View Poll Results: Who is your favourite companion?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rose Tyler

7 28.00%
  • Adam Mitchell

0 0%
  • Captain Jack

3 12.00%
  • Mickey Smith

2 8.00%
  • Martha Jones

3 12.00%
  • Donna Noble

9 36.00%
  • Sarah Jane Smith

1 4.00%
  • K9

0 0%

Default Best Companion 05-08

We're coming to the end of the fourth series. And Rose is on her way back. Now the time for you to decide who is the best companion we've had since the series returned in 2005.

We've had a few!

Rose Tyler:
    The somewhat chavvy shopgirl who helped the Doctor find his soul and who fell in love with him only to be sent to a parallel universe. Compassionate but clingy.

Adam Mitchell:
    The companion who couldn't cope... selfish and unadventurous.

Captain Jack:
    Filthy and gorgeous Jack will flirt with anyone, sleep with anyone but now will outlive everyone it seems! Now head of Torchwood, the Doctor made Jack a better person.

Mickey Smith:
    Initially Rose's silly boyfriend, Mickey proved his worth on several occasions before deciding he'd like to try time travelling. Put up with belittlement from Rose and the Doctor before settling in a parallel universe.

Martha Jones:
    The doctor in training, Martha came along when the Doctor needed a friend. Like Rose she fell for him in a big way, but the feeling was unreciprocated. Now works for UNIT.

Donna Noble:
    Met the Doctor on her wedding day, found herself part of his world and then he left. Then actively sought him out again. Moral, outspoken, feisty but with a heart of a gold.

And the two wildcards:

Sarah Jane Smith:
    Was amazed when an older and younger Doctor stumbled back into her life while she investigated the Krillitane occupied school. Given a new lease of life by meeting him, Sarah remains one of his truest friends.

K9
    The Doctor's faithful robot dog, rebuilt by the Doctor with new omni-fliexible circuitry. Currently has his bum in a black hole, but remains one of Sarah's best friends, and indeed one of the Doctor's.

Who will you vote for? And why?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1st Sarah Jane Smith. Does everything a good companion should do & isn't all mushy.
    In 2nd place would be Donna Noble, very similar to Sarah Jane in lots of ways & good value.
    3rd would be K9, loyal, does what he's told & not afraid to do what needs to be done but is quite limited.

All in my opinion of course.

Martha Jones, for me she was a breath of threash air after Rose, who had become some what annoying .

Micke-de-mick, Mickey!

I can't justify that, I just think he was great.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Jack - just a terrific character. Great sense of humour and gets tough when required!

WhiteCrow Guest

Larry - nooo!

Freema just cannot act, the best performance she's turned in so far was when she pretended to be possessed by the cybermen. Even then it was borderline ropey.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Larry - nooo!

Freema just cannot act, the best performance she's turned in so far was when she pretended to be possessed by the cybermen. Even then it was borderline ropey.
    I don't remember that

If they weren't only 'guest stars' in School Reunion, I'd have gone for K9 and SJS, but I don't think it's fair to do that here. Of the others I'm going for...

...Rose. Although the character became a bit annoying in places during season 2, Rose (and particularly Billie's superb performance) was a big part of the success of season 1. Although I'm still not 100% convinced it's a good idea to bring her back, she was a great 'first' companion.

Honourable mention, though, to Freema/Martha, who replaced Rose very well indeed for season 3 - she was superb, and made me not miss Rose at all!!

Pip Madeley Guest

I think he means Army of Ghosts, Andrew (Clancy). I like Freema, but I voted for Jack. He's a ledge.

I'll be hte first to admit to voting for Donna, which is odd seeing as she's in the lead (and isn't that a nice surprise in itself after all the "Catherine Tate! Noooooooooo!" paranoia).

WhiteCrow Guest

I voted for Donna, but then on episode reviews I've not been backward in proclaiming my adoration of Ms Tates acting.

I'm really hoping we've seen the back of Martha now. She was rubbish in Season 3, useless in Torchwood, and cringeworthy in her special return.

Surely she's coming back again for the end of the season?

Pip Madeley Guest

Yes, she's part of UNIT so she's in the finale.

Wasn't Martha seen in the preview?

Has to be Rose Tyler. The rest are all cack...

Adam Mitchell - too camp
    Captain Jack - even camper
    Mickey Smith - useless tool
    Martha Jones - too wooden
    Donna Noble - too wide
    Sarah Jane Smith - too hairy
    K9 - too tinny

WhiteCrow Guest

I have to say I like Micky Smith - not really a mainstream character, and would have been really annoying if overused, but there was something very real about him.

It's got to be Ricky, erm Micky. Well either him or Jackie Tyler but she doesn't appear to get a look in!
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

My order of 'em:

Rose - Because she was just fantastic in the first season, instantly likable and a great foil for the Doctor. Despite going all a bit bunny boiler-ish in the second season, she's still the companion I'm fondest of.
    Captain Jack - A lot of fun whilst in Who, though less appealing in Torchwood, for me he still makes a close second
    K9 - Rocks. Baby. And should be brought back full time.
    Mickey Smith - Likable, but a bit too whiney in places until the end of S.2
    Martha Jones - I wanted to like her, and at times she was okay, but far too limp and S.3's especially shown she's all a bit rubbish.
    Sarah Jane Smith - It was lovely to see her back again for School Reunion, but the character didn't appeal to me in TSJA's that much alas.
    Donna Noble - Fine when quiet, unbarable to watch when all gobby, which is all too often sadly.
    Adam Mitchell - Takes the last place. Even worse than Tegan in the shitest ever companion stakes.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Adam Mitchell - Takes the last place. Even worse than Tegan in the shitest ever companion stakes.
    But then I think that was the point of the character - he was much more clever than Rose, but he failed simply because his heart was in the wrong place - he was motivated to exploit the past/future, not help it.

Wayne Guest

I've gone for Donna, but it was a very tough choice between her & Rose, as i like the gutsy qualities of them both, but the character of Rose was written for really badly in S2 which made her more annoying, (Not Billie's fault at all) & has the effect of making people forget just how good she was in S1.
    Ultimately my favourite companion is SJS, but for similar reasons to Andrew, i don't think it's fair to vote her No.1 here, because her status for me is based on the classic series, rather than her one appearance (so far) in the New Series.
    Infact, i like almost all the companions for differing reasons, & it's quite difficult to single out an overall favourite.

Top 3:

Donna Noble - Ballsy, & cares about the things that matter.
    Rose Tyler - (explained above)
    Mickey Smith - He took a long time to grow on me, but by the time he left i really liked him. The best character development of any of the New Series companions so far.

Bubbling under:

Sarah Jane Smith (see above)
    Martha Jones - A bit poor at times, but still very likeable overall.
    Captain Jack - I don't think Barrowman's a great actor. He's passable, but i don't like what i've seen of him as a person, & it taints my view of Captain Jack overall.

That just leaves at the bottom:

K9 - Talking Sonic Screwdriver
    Adam Mitchell - Just shit. He's even below K9, that's how bad he is.
    Last edited by Wayne; 21st Jun 2008 at 1:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Adam Mitchell - Just shit. He's even below K9, that's how bad he is.
    He's the new series equivalent of Adric as far as I can see.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    He's the new series equivalent of Adric as far as I can see.
    Adric is definitely better than Adam!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    But then I think that was the point of the character - he was much more clever than Rose, but he failed simply because his heart was in the wrong place - he was motivated to exploit the past/future, not help it.
    Oh yeah, definitely, I just wanted to express my hatred for both him and Tegan at the same time!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've decided to go for Donna. Like Wayne I've been weighing up between Rose and Donna for the last few days, but Donna has swung it after last night's episode, which just goes to show how the character has been developed and refined and changed after travelling with the Doctor. I think she's incredibly likeable and the way she can cut throw the Doctor and bring out his more moral side is brilliantly done. Tate has handled the drama and the comedy better than anyone expected and I've grown to really love Donna Noble over the past 12 weeks.

Rose was great. Really great, but her clingliness at the end of Season 2 was a bit of a downer for the character i think. But yes, she was absolutely awesome in the first season and probably worked alot better with Eccleston's Doctor than with Tennant's.

I like Martha too, despite what's been written about her acting, I think Freema was generally very good last year and made Martha a very likeable person.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.