Thread: Big Red Button!

Default Big Red Button!

A fleet of Dalek saucers attacking the earth and spewing fire across the globe, the Torchwood team under attack in their own base, Sarah-Jane and Luke.

I suspect we're in for the biggest deux ex whatever they call it ever.

WhiteCrow Guest

I don't know what you're talking about ....

Season 1 - look into the Time Vortex, erase the Daleks from history
    Season 2 - open the gate, suck the Daleks back into the rift
    Season 3 - destroy the Paradox Machine, everyone lives ... except for the annoying US President

Oh - maybe you've got a point. Well Donna had all those huon particles in her bloodstream in Runaway Bride, perhaps she's special and going to become a TARDIS!

Maybe she's going to be the eleventh Doctor.

No I know that makes no sense at all, but I just like flinging the "and the next Doctor could be a woman" gag about.

People say Deus ex Machina, but that's not really correct. If it was, then a superior powerful being who was never mentioned before would turn up and sort it all out before. The phrase comes from Ancient Greece, where a 'God of Machines' would appear at the end of plays to sort things out, typically a large mechanical device representing a God, I believe.

The season endings are occasionally a bit of a cop out, but Doctor Who has always been like that.

Pyramids of Mars, Spearhead From Space and Web of Fear were are cop-outs in exactly the same way as all the season cliffhangers.

Spearhead - The Autons invade Ealing Broadway and are all turned off at once when the Doctor uses a special machine.
    Pyramids - Despite Sutekh's power and victory, he just gets trapped in a time tunnel. In the same way as we see the alternative future under the Master and the Toclafaine, we see the alternative future of 1980's Earth. Sutekh is defeated when the Doctor builds a special machine, cop out!
    Web Of Fear - London is invaded, but it's all back to normal at the end when the Doctor fiddles with the special machine that the intelligence has built.

These days, it tends to involve big levers or buttons but the principle is the same.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm hoping there's a literal BRB now, that would make the season for me! Perhaps with Donna's Grandad pressing it just as a countdown gets to one. Well it worked for him back in the movie Who...
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical