Default DWM 400- What would be your dream 400th issue?

It's nearly time for the 400th issue of DWM. Having started way back at issue 44 in 1980 this seems almost impossible (though looking at the magazine racks in the spare room it is easy to believe!).

So Issue 400. What would you like to see in the magazine? What would you include? lets have your thoughts and ideas here and see how many actually make it to the actual issue 400

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd like them to do a special encompassing all the Doctors, focusing on the classic series as much as the new one.

When is issue 400 due?

I can still remember my brother buying number 1, then first seeing number 44, I can remember issue 100, 150, 200... Crikey I must be getting old!!!

They did a really good retrospective of the magazine itself when it reached 25 years I believe (back in 2004) so I don't think we need that again. Given that the readership now is (I'm assuming) a mix of the diehard readers/fans and newer fans brought on board since 2005, then I think I'd like to see at least some space given over to the origins of the show in 1963 - I know it's celebrating 400 issues of the mag, but it's also very close to 45 years of the show, and there's no point celebrating JUST the magazine.

BUT, I'd also like to see the issue treated almost as a special - so apart from the regular features like Comic Strip, Letters Page & Time Team (what story will they have reached by then, at one an issue, The Ultimate Foe?) I'd like to see a series of 1 or 2 page pieces penned by various luminaries, just taking their own spin on why they love Doctor Who, and/or how they got into it, and perhaps (if they read it) which their favourite issue/cover of DWM was. I'd like a really eclectic mix to those writers as well, so that you might get pieces by RTD and Terrance Dicks rubbing shoulders with pages written by Phil Collinson, Eric Saward, Colin Baker, Nick Courtney, Mark Gatiss.

That's what I'd do anyway - a genuine celebration, but (other than the origins piece) on a personal level.

Not that I want to come over all control-freak like, but I'd also like to see, as little box outs on each contributors pages, the answers to some stock questions - it may seem very 'childish' but I'd genuinely like to get straight answers to questions like "Favourite Doctor" and "Favourite Story" and "Least Favourite Story" from RTD, David Tennant, Phil C, etc, etc, etc.

Well, as we'd be beyond the end of the fourth series and perhaps something significant happening to Rose (which will definitely make us cry) I think we should have a whole issue devoted to the wonderful Ms Tyler.

Lots of pages of retrospective on her appearances, a fictional backstory of her life, a short story written by , say Paul Cornell, a reprint of the best comic strips she was in, a series of interviews with all the other companions and family members who've appeared with her, a picture spread of all the fashions she's worn and the definitive article by RTD on how he created and moulded the greatest companion in the history of Doctor Who.

Anything else would just be a complete betrayal of New Series Doctor Who.
    Unless its an issue full of behind the scenes articles and interviews by Ben Cook ....
    (......and...breathe .... )
    Bazinga !

WhiteCrow Guest

It should focus entirely on the New Series, and talk none stop of how RTD rescued a tired format, together with an in depth interview with Billy Piper.

That would be my ideal magazine, just so I can hear the die hards like Mr Hamson singing their songs of lament - it's music to my ears you see.

Oh yeah, and maybe take a page out of SFX magazine, and have an article called "the best 10 episodes of Doctor Who, of ALL TIME", which only mentions New Series episodes.

I wouldn't say no to some kind of free re-issue again like when we got a reprint of thee first issue with issue 350 or whatever it was in 2003. Or 2004.

I'd like a mixture of what Pip & Andrew have said. A slightly thicker then normal mag with lots of history & behind the scenes stuff, Q&A's of the cast & crew...oh loads of stuff to make it a must keep issue.

Oh, and Pip, issue 400 is out in 3 months. 397 was delivered to me this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I I think I'd like to see at least some space given over to the origins of the show in 1963 - I know it's celebrating 400 issues of the mag, but it's also very close to 45 years of the show, and there's no point celebrating JUST the magazine.

think I'd agree with that it would be wonderfull to see a big article written by the ledgend that is Andrew Pixley..

How about finally explaining the time war?

(assuming they won't do that this saturday...)

I rather like the sort of I Love Doctor Who idea that Andrew suggested. That would be great reading I think. In some ways I think it's a shame they didn't save the Target book idea until issue 400, unless they have another free gift thingy planned for us, of course.

I haven't come up with any good ideas yet, but it would be nice to have a decent comic strip.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.