Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default New Series eps which get your goat ...

I just had to watch Doomsday again with my son.

Although not terrible, it does get my goat a bit.

Cybermen were really one of my favourite villains, there was a bit buzz about Series 2 because they came back with a grim-ness for Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel.

Rewatching them under Doomsday makes me wince again. They were brought back all big and bad, and Doomsday just turned them into little more than Dalek cannon fodder. By the end of the episode they've lost all their menace, and you can't help feeling we'll never see them on the series again because of that.

Pooh!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I just had to watch Doomsday again with my son.

Although not terrible, it does get my goat a bit.

Cybermen were really one of my favourite villains, there was a bit buzz about Series 2 because they came back with a grim-ness for Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel.

Rewatching them under Doomsday makes me wince again. They were brought back all big and bad, and Doomsday just turned them into little more than Dalek cannon fodder. By the end of the episode they've lost all their menace, and you can't help feeling we'll never see them on the series again because of that.

Pooh!

to be fare the new series Cybermen, are no where near as advanced technologicaly as the old series ones so in a battle against the Daleks they are always going to lose.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    to be fare the new series Cybermen, are no where near as advanced technologicaly as the old series ones so in a battle against the Daleks they are always going to lose.
    Exactly.

Pip Madeley Guest

By the end of the episode they've lost all their menace, and you can't help feeling we'll never see them on the series again because of that.
    They'll be back.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    They'll be back.
    And Tinsel.

Pip Madeley Guest

And Dervla.

Any episode where the Doctor is shown to be ineffectual or wrong, and someone else (usually human) has to save the day instead.

There's a whole list to choose from....
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

Most of series one then, Jon?

I don't think "Doomsday" is a Cyberman story really, but that doesn't make "The Age Of Steel" any less of a thrilling adventure on re-watching. And there's a punch-the-air joy about seeing the Daleks and Cybermen face off. So it's horses for courses.

Si.

Army of Ghost / Doomsday remains my favourite new series adventure so far.

Fear Her is possibly the only under-par episode for me, so dull and lifeless.

The only one where I was so disappointed I almost went off and did something else was New Earth. I've tried to love it by watching it again, but nope!

Oh don't Blink. No I won't. I'll snooze instead.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

All of them. It's a well known fact I never score anything more than 4/10 after all

I was just wondering if we should start up a separate thread just for you.

Wayne Guest

Why stop there?

Just wait for it to come out in paperback.

I hated "42" and "The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit". Both dull macho "adult" adventures full of people rushing around a sweaty spaceship being terribly serious. "The Impossible Planet" remains the only new series episode I've nodded off to during first viewing.

Si.

During Fear Her & Love & Monsters is the only time I've thought, "I hope no one knows I'm a fan of this!"

I don't know if it was the fact I watched it with my family, but I hated 'The Idiot's Lantern'. I don't care for a lot of the second season actually, bar the finale and School Reunion, there's nothing I'm all that fond of.

I hated The Idiot's Lantern, Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks and Midnight!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

The End of the World - First 'meh' episode.
    Aliens of London/World War Three - Because the fart gags are just so overdone.
    The Long Game - Despite the best efforts of Simon Pegg, it's just poor. And Adam.
    The Christmas Invasion - Great first half, but the first appearance of the anti-Doctor kills it off stone dead.
    New Earth - Crap Tennant. (possessed by Cassandra)
    The Girl in the Fireplace - The first one i genuinely think deserves the tag of 'overated'. + Crap Tennant. (drunk doctor)
    Fear Her - Even more dull than the Girl in the Fireplace.
    Doomsday - Far too much time dwelling on Rose's depature.
    The Runaway Bride - Camp Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    Gridlock - Unmemorable apart from the token 60's monster that could've been anything for all the part it had in the scheme of things.
    Utopia - Aside from Derek Jacobi, What else can i actually remember about this story? errmmmm................... Nothing.
    The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Turds - I tried to watch this again a few months ago. I thought, oh i might've been in a bad mood when i watched it first time round. But i've since decided that it's the absolute nadir of the new series. I wasn't in a bad mood when i started it, but i certainly was when i finished it. The Master, the Golem Doctor, the totally OTT emo ending, all utterly barfworthy.
    Voyage of the Damned - More camp Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Partners In Crime - Kiddie crap for squeers of all things Who only.
    The Unicorn And The Wasp - Generally meh & naff poison/charades scene, & shoehorning in another pointless Doctor/companion snog.
    Midnight - And more meh.

WhiteCrow Guest

Oh Wayne - were there any you actually liked? Here's the cue for ZH's list which reads like the entire series listing ...

Yes, but apart from them....

Would've been easier for Wayne to list the ones he did like!

Blink's the first to come to mind; hard to follow first time round, and I couldn't see what there was to be frightened about. And New Earth, just a bit meh really. And Aliens of London for the fartiness. Voyage of the Damned could've been better; The Long Game should've been. Doomsday had more potential than it delivered, if that makes sense.

The Runaway Bride - Camp Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    The idea of a camp Raiders f***ing rocks!!! I quite enjoyed Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but Camp Raiders sounds even better!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!