Pip Madeley Guest

Default BBC phasing out quarter-size credits

The BBC is "phasing out" the practice of displaying programmes' end credits in just a quarter of the screen. The move suggests there will be a scaling back of promotions for other shows being displayed while credits roll in a reduced-size window. End credit promotions, formally introduced in June last year, were met with complaints from viewers and producers.

Helen Kellie, head of marketing, communications and audiences at BBC Vision, this week said quarter-screen credits would be dropped to "improve legibility".

However, she added: "Part of our public service duty is to tell audiences about the many programmes we are showing across the portfolio and especially on the digital channels where audiences might not naturally find them. The messages we put into our end credits are an important tool to help us do that effectively."

Kellie said research just completed found around half of viewers "enjoy" the end credit promotions while the other half "want to be able to read the credits more clearly".

"My job is to ensure we listen to and serve the needs of both of these groups," she said. "It is very early days but there are three areas we are looking at changing. Over the next year we are putting the information from the end credits into our programme pages on bbc.co.uk.

"We also want to improve legibility so we will phase out the quarter page of end credits. And finally we are simplifying the messages we include in the end credits and making them feel less busy."
    Good news.

They should devote a page of Ceefax to listing program credits - whatever program is currently showing, all you need to do is page up Ceefax for a complete cast list. That way you could flick it up and check every time you see a part and want to know who's playing it.

Si.

Reading between the lines, it seems likely they're simply going to put all the credits on the internet instead. My Mum will have fun finding them!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Meanwhile, Routledge is on the warpath!
    Patricia Routledge has accused the BBC of being "run by ten-year-old children".

The actress said she is furious that the broadcaster did not inform her of the fate of her show Hetty Wainthrop Investigates.

She told Teletext: "We were betrayed by the BBC! We finished series four of Hetty, we were told that there was going to be a series five.

"But no word ever came - how rude! The BBC's run by ten-year-old children."

The 79-year-old, who is best known for her portrayal of Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances, is currently playing Queen Mary in the touring show Crown Matrimonial.

Hetty Wainthrop Investigates ran from 1996 to 1998 on BBC One.
    It doesn't belong here, but I thought it was of a similar "BBC are a bit crap" theme, and quite amusing. I bet she stormed TV Centre with her handbag.

Si.

How different it would have been if they'd scrapped the abysmal Keeping Up Appearances after only 4 series (or even 4 episodes !!)
    Bazinga !

Jon, I keep reading every post of yours in a Sheldon voice. Its quite weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    They should devote a page of Ceefax to listing program credits - whatever program is currently showing, all you need to do is page up Ceefax for a complete cast list. That way you could flick it up and check every time you see a part and want to know who's playing it.

Si.
    That would be OK if we still had CEEFAX, but we don't. We have BBC-i now. Which takes way longer to load up than CEEFAX did, but, granted, once you get it up & running it is quicker. Although during the tennis the other day it wouldn't load up at all.

After 10 years, don't you think Patricia R should have got over it. Has she been out of work for a decade sat by the phone or something, and only just found out that there's not going to be a series 5?

Well, we don't know when this interview was given, what the context was or any significant details. I mean it would hardly be 'news' if this interview took place 8 years ago or if Patrica was talking retrospectively about her feelings towards the BBC of 10 years ago.

Firstly,

Kellie said research just completed found around half of viewers "enjoy" the end credit promotions
    is the strangest use of the word "enjoy" I've seen in a long time.

Secondly, this will just mean "Coming up next" messages on screen during the programmes as they do in America and on some non-BBC channels here. Crunching the credits won't seem as annoying once we see David Tennant's head disappear under a box telling us that the National Lottery is next and Doctor Who Confidential is on BBC3 shortly, just as he's about to regenerate into Hugh Laurie*.

*I wish.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Wayne Guest

Perhaps they'll do what ITV do, & have a little strip pop up across bottom of the screen advertiing the next programme.
    Still unnecessary, but perhaps the lesser evil.

What is it with this need to let us know what's on next. Most people still buy a paper and/or a tv guide, & failing that, it's the push of a button on your remote away. Who needs it! Any of it.