Thread: Animation

Default Animation

Today's Media Guardian has an intersting article about fan attempts to animate the missing episodes in the wake of The Invasion DVD.

Usefully it also includes some examples of the work. While rather stylised, I think some of them are rather good. The Power of the Daleks clips especially so.

So what do you lot think, eh? Hmmm? Can it work? Is the quality high enough?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The episodes were released on DVD and went on to become one of BBC DVD's most successful Doctor Who releases.
    I'm not sure about this. I heard it was only reasonably successful on the sales front. I'm sure if it had been one of the best selling releases, somehow the money would have been found for more.

Si.

No, it *was* one of the best selling of the range, or most definitely, one of the fastest selling (in the first couple of weeks). But to be fair, the sales of the range had been increasing steadily since the new series came back, and it did feature the Cybermen. It would have had to have sold far more than GotD though, to even be near being financially viable to do again.

As for the 'fan' clip on the website, I thought it was awful (to watch, not from a techincal point of view).
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I don't really understand why they can't finance another one the same way as they did before. The previous one seems to have been a co-production for the Internet (or something), but (for some reason) it got released on DVD instead. Is more money really pumped into a production for the web (which is free to look at!) than DVD (which costs £15 a throw)? And if so, why not mount another one for the web? And can I get any more brackets into this post (probably!)?

Si.

I like the idea but to be honest I wish they'd been in Black & White and that the characters heads didn't 'swim'. That motion just isn't realistic in any way.

I agree with Si, the Power clip was very good.

If I recall correctly, the money for the animation of The Invasion had already been given to Cosgrove Hall for making a follow-up the The Scream Of The Shalka. Once the new series came along and there were no more animated BBCi adventures forthcoming, the money was put to use for the DVD instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I don't really understand why they can't finance another one the same way as they did before.
    2|entertain can't force, or decide how the BBC spends it's money, can it?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

So why won't the BBC finance another one like they did before?
    I recall correctly, the money for the animation of The Invasion had already been given to Cosgrove Hall for making a follow-up the The Scream Of The Shalka.
    That makes sense. But if the BBC were willing to put up that money for a venture with no return (aside from a DVD release?) why won't they put the same money into another similar project to reanimate the missing episodes? Or did it come from a pot of money labelled "new Doctor Who" which now goes to Cardiff?

Si.

Well doing The Tenth Planet would cost about half as much as Invasion did.

Yes, that's another point. If the BBC were willing to fork out for four episodes (was it?) of "Shalka", with no commercial return, why can't they pay to animate just one episode of "The Tenth Planet" which would profit them via a DVD release?

Si.

Any big "pots" of money have probably been swallowed up by the i-player thingy......

But seriously Si, the answer to me seems fairly obvious, they choose to do other things with the money, DW has no god given right to be top of everyone's (cash) priorities. As it is, we've been getting 13 episodes every year, 13 45 minute 'Confidential's', the Sarah Jane adventures, Torchwood, The Infinite Quest, a christmas special.....they shouldn't be forced at gunpoint by DW fans to animate lots of old telly that would get very small viewing audiences. IMO.

Couldn't we vote to have an animated story instead of "Confidential"?

Or "Torchwood".

Si.

There's something evil about those animations, I'm not sure I'd want to watch a whole one! The heads are the wrong size for the bodies, and that clip of Anneke Wills with real legs was weird!

The Power clip was good but notably didn't feature any humans which of course will be the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    If I recall correctly, the money for the animation of The Invasion had already been given to Cosgrove Hall for making a follow-up the The Scream Of The Shalka. Once the new series came along and there were no more animated BBCi adventures forthcoming, the money was put to use for the DVD instead.
    Nah - the money was never intended for a Shalka sequel

It was money specially put aside for a 'special project' for BBCi (or whatever they are now), and they decided to use it for the animations of The Invasion.

Which explains why they can't just do another one - no doubt whoever authorises the special project funds wouldn't be likely to authorise another one, when there are likely other projects more deserving...

Although the one thing I've never figured out was how BBCi were planning to distribute The Invasion as a whole - would they have just put the animated Episodes 1 and 4 online, and expected fans to seek out a long-deleted VHS for the rest of the story?
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Nah - the money was never intended for a Shalka sequel
    I don't think that's ever been proven, has it?

It would be great if they re-did Masterplan.

Sure, it'd take 20 years, but by god it'd be worth the wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I don't think that's ever been proven, has it?
    Well, James Goss of BBCi said so on OG a year or so back, so really isn't that proof enough?

Surely if he was lying it would make more sense to just admit the Shalka thing (which isn't something to hide) rather than make up a story about a magic pot of money?
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Oh dear!

The thread on these animations on the RT has descended into abuse and woe. My favourite post is:

Don't worry about Martin. He's always priggish and up-himself and not just here.

Whenever he posts on this website, you can 9 times out of ten expect him to be either crawling up the RTs bottom, which he's seemingly an expert at, or slagging off fans, except he's one himself.
    It's all gone pear-shaped!

Si.

at least we're not like that here.

I'm not mad on the clips so far. There's potential but it looks a bit wobbly. Reminds me of Pigeon Street.

This however is fault less although we don't see any animated people...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hSHY9KeUT3I

For some reason the Youtube versions matched up to the correct sound look better, as they've gone to quite some trouble to sync up the visuals to the soundtrack. And it's more jerky on the Guardian page.

Si.