Default Emmerdale Actor Clive Hornby dies

Actor Clive Hornby, who played Jack Sugden in ITV1 soap Emmerdale, has died at the age 63.

It was announced in January that Hornby would be taking a break from the soap because of ill health.

The actor had been in Emmerdale for 28 years after signing up on a three-month contract and was the soap's longest-serving cast member.

Hornby, the third actor to play Jack Sugden, enjoyed success as drummer with 1960s Liverpool band The Dennisons.

Emmerdale series producer Anita Turner said she was "deeply saddened" by "a devastating loss".

"Clive will be greatly missed by everyone who has worked with him on Emmerdale during the past 28 years," she said.

"He was a hugely popular and well-respected member of cast and a terrific actor."

After The Dennisons split up, Hornby became an actor - attending the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art before working in repertory theatre.

He went on to appear in a number of TV shows including Gerry Anderson's Space 1999 and army sitcom Get Some In, which also starred My Family actor Robert Lindsay.

He also appeared in comedy series Minder alongside George Cole.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This is a big shock, especially as he was a relatively young and current member of the cast. It's not actually that often that a current soap regular dies "during service" and when it happens, it's usually the very old.

For me, he was an absolute staple of my childhood. I never knew the man, but I must have seen his face every day since I was about 2. He's just always been there, like Trevor MacDonald or that blonde woman off Anglia who used to do BC. I might also add that he was a fine actor, and I can remember Emmerdale storylines he's been in ranging from the death of his son Jackie in the early eighties to more recent ones with Elizabeth Estenson.

This is deeply sad, both for the soap and his family of course, but also for those that, like me, grew up with him as a background part of their lives.

Si.

Wayne Guest

What a great shame. 63 is no age these days.
    I always thought he was very good in his role of Jack Sugden. RIP Clive.

That is sad news. Like you say, Si, he's just always been around, and even though I've only rarely watched Emmerdale in the past decade or so, when I did I recognised at least one face!! Didn't he marry his onscreen wife back in the 80s, and as far as I know were still together. Very sad for her and the rest of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Hornby, the third actor to play Jack Sugden...
    I'm not sure that's accurate, I thought he was the second actor to play him; not that I'm an expert on soaps but I did grow up with Emmerdale Farm being on in the background for most of my life (Angela still watches it now).
    But did the original actor leave & then come back briefly & then leave again?

Any hoo, it's really sad to hear news that someone has died at quite a young age.
    R.I.P Clive.

He was the second actor to play Jack not the third...

I was just quoting the BBC.

It's very sad. Like Si he was someone I was always aware of, especially so in the days when my folks used to watch Emmerdale Farm (as it was back then). I haven't really seen it since the plane crash, but this is stills ad news. He was always a good solid presence in the cast and I used to enjoy his sparring with Frazer Hines.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Was that the plane crash involving Jamie and Marcus Scarman?

I wonder how they'll write him out of the show. It's always sad when a long running and iconic character gets a flimsy "postcard" farewell because the actor has died. If it was me, I'd rather they use all their cunning to craft a big dramatic death scene which they could somehow pull off without me being present. Just to give me a good send-off.

Si.

I used to watch Emmerdale occasionally, and remember him quite fondly. He always seemed to have a very amiable screen presence.

I think he was the second actor in the role, the first being Andrew Burt.

He of "Terminus" of course.

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Was that the plane crash involving Jamie and Marcus Scarman?
    Si.
    I don't know about Bernard Archard's character but Joe (Frazer Hines's character- and Jack's brother) died off screen.

I think this came as a particular shock to my folks, as many moons ago (possibly as long as 45 years ago) Mum used to go to the same youth club as Clive Hornby and I think she was a bit rattled in the way that happens when you hear of somebody your own age dying.