Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Aha! I didn't make it up then.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    According to the last issue of DWM: "Before [season 5] there will be a Doctor Who Christmas Special for 2008... and four Specials to be made and broadcast in 2009, all of which will be overseen by Russell T Davies."

Seems pretty clear cut to me!!
    And DWM have never been wrong before.....

If that's the case, my money would be on one at easter, and the three remaining (and linked) the following christmas period.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

From Monday's Guardian:

As we saw on Saturday, David Tennant lives to fight on in another Christmas special, which will be set in Victorian England and feature the Cybermen, as well as four other specials which begin filming in 2009. But Davies refuses to say whether Tennant will return when the full series returns in 2010, except that he has made his decision and that the BBC knows what it is.
    Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    And DWM have never been wrong before.....

If that's the case, my money would be on one at easter, and the three remaining (and linked) the following christmas period.

easter would certainly be one date though rather than the other 3 being at christmas I'd favour one being shown on the may and August bank holiday weekends.

I guess that all really depends on if they are linked, as rumoured. If they are, I honestly can't see them spreading them out over may & august & december.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Davies refuses to say whether Tennant will return when the full series returns in 2010, except that he has made his decision and that the BBC knows what it is.
    Interesting.

Well if Mr T is doing all the specials next year, then to be honest it's not really anything to do with RTD is it.

[QUOTEDavies refuses to say whether Tennant will return when the full series returns in 2010, except that he has made his decision and that the BBC knows what it is. [/QUOTE]

Personaly I feel with a new production team in place for series five I think we need Tennent to stay for at least 1 more season as it will make it easier for Moffat to settle in .

Well if Mr T is doing all the specials next year, then to be honest it's not really anything to do with RTD is it.
    I pity da fool who thinks I aint gonna do all the specials

Is that a spoiler you've picked up Andrew ?
    Bazinga !

It's 100%* true that after Eccleston quit, the first choice for the 10th Doctor was Mr T. Unfortunately when offered the job he replied, "You ain't gettin' me in no TARDIS, fool!" and so the part went to David Tennant instead.

*Please note actual percentage may vary.

Dalek Caan " The threefold Man comes and the most faithful companion will die"

The Doctor " Quit your jibber-jabber, fool . Aint no way there be more than one Mr T"

MrT-Donna "You messed up, now I'm gonna mess you up Davros"

Captain Face Harkness " I love it when a plan comes together "
    Bazinga !

There's no way they're going to screen a coveted Doctor Who Special in August!

I would say they'll do an Easter 2009 Special to keep it in mind, then three linked ones (bridging the 10th and 11th Doctors?) over Christmas 2009 - one on Christmas Day, one on Boxing Day and one on New Years Day 2010.

Si.

I think you're right, Si.

Confusion still abounds as to how many specials there will be, there's an article on the Telegraph's website, that seems to contradict even itself in the same report!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.../bvtvwho11.xml

“Aside from Series Five, which will have a full 13 episodes and transmit in 2010, we are making four one-hour specials. The first, which we’ve already filmed, will go out this Christmas. The next will go out the following Easter. The other specials have yet to be scheduled, although one will definitely be on at Christmas 2009.”
    Russell T Davies, Doctor Who’s executive producer and the show’s driving creative force, will be at the helm for all four specials. Davies will write two of them himself, and co-write the others.
    That last sentence is interesting!

I think the confusion might stem from a recent RTD interview, when he stated that he'd negotiated an "extra" special for next year.....?

I'm glad he's not writting all 4 specials by himself but i'd love to see the two he co-writes is a calberation with Moffat ..

From Julie Gardener in todays Telegraph (and OG):

Doctor Who's co-executive producer Julie Gardner has revealed transmission details for two of next year's specials.

And in the interview in today's Daily Telegraph about the show's future, the head of drama for BBC Wales says the cutback in 2009 is a good thing for the programme.

She says: "Aside from Series Five, which will have a full 13 episodes and transmit in 2010, we are making four one-hour specials. The first, which we've already filmed, will go out this Christmas. The next will go out the following Easter. The other specials have yet to be scheduled, although one will definitely be on at Christmas 2009."

In the interview, Gardner says: "The reduced schedule for 2009 acknowledges the fact that the show should continue not just for another one or two years, but for another five or 10. It needs to be nurtured, loved and looked after."

The article states that Russell T Davies is writing two of the specials and co-writing the other two. It is not revealed who the other co-writer is.
    Si xx

Oh well, back to four - at least we know though!

I'm intrigued about the co-writer thing, because RTD doesn't really strike me as a co-writer type. Maybe it just means he's storylining them and somebody else will do the actual writing? Maybe it's Mr Moffat, although he doesn't strike me as the co-writer sort either.

The reduced schedule for 2009 acknowledges the fact that the show should continue not just for another one or two years, but for another five or 10. It needs to be nurtured, loved and looked after."

Agree with that 100% for me having this years break comes at just the right time as it just stops things getting a bit stale and predictable with the non fans losing interest.

So it is only 3 specials in 2009 then. That's disappointing.

#1 Christmas 2008: Cybermen in Victorian Wales/England?
    #2 Easter 2009.
    #3 Unknown T/X.
    #4 Christmas 2009.
    Although it would be nice to have the extraneous one t/x on New Years Day or Boxing Day 2009.

That puts paid to Steve/Perry's 'reliable' source that there will be one at easter & then 3 close together, all being linked.

Oh well, back to four - at least we know though!

I'm intrigued about the co-writer thing, because RTD doesn't really strike me as a co-writer type. Maybe it just means he's storylining them and somebody else will do the actual writing? Maybe it's Mr Moffat, although he doesn't strike me as the co-writer sort either.
    He did co-write Invasion of the Bane with Gareth Roberts though, so there is a precedent. I suppose it helps take some of the pressure off too.

So actually, we're getting Doctor Who at exactly the same times as usual, except instead of 13 episodes next Spring we'll be getting one.

Si.

He did co-write Invasion of the Bane with Gareth Roberts though, so there is a precedent. I suppose it helps take some of the pressure off too.
    So he did. Do you know, I racked my brains this morning before posting to make sure he wasn't in fact well known for co-writing things all over the place, and I couldn't think of anything. This old brain is wearing a bit thin.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    From Julie Gardener in todays Telegraph (and OG):

Si xx
    That'll be the story I linked to the day before then....

As I said, the article contradicts itself quite a bit, imo, epsecially this bit.....
    Although it has been reported that Tennant has already made his decision and informed the BBC, Gardner says she doesn’t know whether he will still be the Doctor when the fifth series airs in 2010. However, his stint as a Time Lord is far from over. “I can confirm that David Tennant will be coming back after his run playing Hamlet [for the RSC] to film the four specials.
    So Tennant has four more specials to film.....

That puts paid to Steve/Perry's 'reliable' source that there will be one at easter & then 3 close together, all being linked.
    *If* this latest report is true, it doesn't neccessarily rule out a linked story.

That'll be the story I linked to the day before then....
    Oh I don't actually read your posts Perry Vale, you know that!

Si xx

Some intersting stuff in today's Current Bun, apart from Tennant being close to signing for another series.....

David’s real-life love Georgia Moffett, 23, returns as his daughter Jenny for one of the Who specials.

That'll please a few people on here.