Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

After all the guff of recent posts, here's some actual info from RTD's book:

To: Benjamin Cook
    Sunday January 27, 2008 09:00:23 GMT

Lordy God. Panic. I've been having a lot of thoughts - nothing coherent, not yet - for ages, but the rush of scripts has been so great that I haven't had time to tell you. Cybermen, Victoriana, a swordfight on the roof with Cybershades (Cyberman heads in flowing black robes, like wraiths, sort of creepy half-Cybermen), workhouse kids as slaves... That's all the normal plot stuff. The real heart of it is the beginning: the Doctor arrives, hears a damsel in distress, the Doctor steps forward to save her... when this other man [to be played by David Morrissey] swings in, dashing, brilliant, amazing, clever, witty, saves the day. The Doctor says, “Who are you?” The man says, “I'm the Doctor!” Good scene. The Doctor becomes his companion. I like that. Sweet. There will be a beautiful woman too, of course, but really it's the Doctor paired with a new Doctor.
    To: Benjamin Cook
    Tuesday March 4, 2008 02:18:21 GMT

The best title for this episode would be The Two Doctors... but maybe not. The New Doctor, perhaps? Or The Next Doctor? I quite like The Next Doctor. I'm glad to have started, though worried by what's to come. I had a fair bit of Cybermen-in-Victoriana worked out, but this two Doctors story, the real story, is so strong that it's sort of knocking out everything else. That's good. It shows that it's a strong concept. But it's kind of left me clutching broken bits of story. Then again, a lot of that Cybermen stuff was dark - graveyards and things - whereas this new stuff is fun and lively, it's even going to get knockabout, and that's good for Christmas Day...

You ask how a writer finds their voice. Now, that's a question!... Gaining a voice, whatever that is, comes with experience and practice - and the writing, again, is indivisible from the person. Your voice tends to be something that other people talk about, about you. It's not something that you think about much yourself, and certainly not whilst writing. I never - never - sit here thinking, what's my voice? You might as well ponder, who am I? It is, in fact, exactly the same thing. You can wonder your whole life and you'll never get an answer to that. After all these years of wondering, I've never realised those last four sentences quite so clearly! This Great Correspondence does me good.

So the voice exists simply because you exist. You find your voice by writing, by experience. You can see voices in scripts, can't you? The difference between Steven's and mine? And it's always such a reflection of the person.

I mean, look at Steven: he's all tough and Scottish, full of lethal gags (both in life and in script), and quite a lustful man, I think, a writer clearly driven by sex. More significantly, under that gruff exter- ior, a wonderful and romantic man, who hates to give that away - except in his writing. Again, again, again, scripts don't just live in Script World; they exist alongside everything else that you love and hate in your whole, wide, mad, lovely life. You copy from - or rather, are influenced by - everything...

It's so important to start writing, because then the process never, ever ends. Finding your voice isn't the last stage, just another stage along the way. You reach the top of that mountain, only to see a whole bloody, endless range of mountains waiting beyond. You've a million more things to reach for, a million more variations on your voice to articulate.
    I'm guessing he's not a real future Doctor, there'll be some clever explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Perhaps a Biggins-esque Doctor from The One Doctor?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Given RTD's efforts to keep plot details secret, I have to wonder if this particular e-mail was intended for publication or whether the paper just saw the potential for an exclusive and took it.

Captain Tancredi Guest

It occurred to me watching 'Human Nature' that there's a significant element of Paul Cornell's book which didn't make it into the TV episodes...

Pip Madeley Guest

How Journey's End nearly ended...

CYBERMEN IN THE TARDIS!

I can understand why they wouldn't do this, but I think it would be cool of Doc 10 met up with a younger version of Doc 1. Personally, no one could ever replace any of the previous Doctors... but, a younger actor playing a younger version of Doc 1 could be acceptable in my eyes. Plus, it would bring a lot of positive attention back to the previous Doctors, which they deserve.

Loads of potential Series Five Spoilers/Old Toot appeared over on The Doctor Who Forum yesterday.

SPOILERS!/OLD TOOT ALERT!
    http://www.doctorwhoforum.com/showthread.php?t=201629
    SPOILERS!/OLD TOOT ALERT!

DOOOOOOOOMED!!

Apparently Anthony Horrowitz has approached the production team as he wants to write for the show...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Apparently Anthony Horrowitz has approached the production team as he wants to write for the show...
    I'm hoping for a Doctor Who/Crime Traveller crossover, then Chloe Annett could become the new companion.

Pip Madeley Guest

More OG guff:

Supposedly Moffat has just circulated a big memo-thing to relevant parties, detailing his plans for series five.

* Patrick Stewart as the Monk. Possibly recurring.
    * Series starts with a (Moffat-written) Dalek two-parter. The Daleks will not reappear, after that. Probably.
    * Also, Gaiman and Cornell, still probably.
    * Zygons
    * Ice Warriors
    * The "Big Bad" will have been in every episode, somehow or other
    * New, non-contemporary, "Celtic" companion. No romantic element.

More OG guff:
    Patrick Stewart as the Monk. Possibly recurring. INTERESTING - HAS POSSIBILITIES
    * Series starts with a (Moffat-written) Dalek two-parter. The Daleks will not reappear, after that. Probably. MORE DALEKS???????
    * Also, Gaiman and Cornell, still probably. COOL
    * Zygons - EXCELLENT NEWSSSS
    * Ice Warriors - EXCCELLENT NEWSSSSSSSSSS
    * The "Big Bad" will have been in every episode, somehow or other - HMMM, THAT WOULD BE THE DOCTOR THEN!
    * New, non-contemporary, "Celtic" companion. No romantic element. - JENNIE MCCRIMMON?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Zygons, Ice Warriors, Daleks and the Monk? I don't think so. Moffat has openly stated already in interviews that he'll be relying less on old monsters/foes and is more interested in creating new ones (rather like Hinchcliffe then).

A large pinch of salt is required there methinks.

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    A large pinch of salt sodium chloride is required there methinks.

Fixed that for you.

Looks like The Sun have been sniffing about the forums again:

Star Trek hero to play Time Lord

Pip Madeley Guest

From Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/..._new_boss.html

Tennant calls Moffat "new boss"

The all-new audio commentaries from the upcoming series 4 DVD box-set of Doctor Who reveal some juicy news about this year's Christmas special, the future of the show under Steven Moffat and The Sarah Jane Adventures. The box-set hits the street in mid-November, but you'll be able to read a full review of the six disc behemoth later this week. Until then enjoy the following news collated from the various new commentaries:

ON THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL...

• The phrase "cache of info-stamps" is said (not revealed by whom).

• There's a character called Aubrey Fairchild*, (the name of the Prime Minister in early drafts of The Stolen Earth) who meets a "terrible death".

• The Hub set, from spin-off series Torchwood, has been 'trashed' and used for filming in the special.

ON THE FUTURE...

• David Tennant refers to Steven Moffat as his "new boss", and their discussion indicates that they are already working together.

• The Moff prefers two-parters but this will not affect how he approaches the series.

• When asked if the title sequence for series 5 will change, the incoming show-runner jokes, "Should his face be in it?"

• The written (but not filmed) 'Shadow Proclamation' scene in The Stolen Earth, featuring monsters from throughout the series, has been requested by David to appear in one of the specials.

ON THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES

• The production team couldn't find an actor short enough for Kaagh in The Last Sontaran so they had to make a new costume - thereby upping the cost of the episode.

• The actor who played the milkman from Journey's End is to appear in an upcoming episode.

• Catherine Tate wants a part (but not as Donna Noble), as her daughter loves the show.

• David Tennant wants to be the voice of 'Mr. Smith'.

and the biggie:

• David Tennant was to appear in the opening episode (in a sub-plot which would explain why K9 was not to appear in the show) but, at the time of recording the commentary (May 2008), this idea was binned. Julie Gardener states "it could still happen".

AND FINALLY...

• On the Paul McGann TV Movie, RTD says, ".. so not what I would do, but I love it."

• Although RTD loves the Ice Warriors, he says they are "slightly generic".

• When asked if River Song is The Doctor's wife, Steven Moffat says "it's more complicated than that"

• RTD reveals that Harriet Jones died in The Stolen Earth despite Phil Collinson's protestations that she lived.
    If Tennant calls Moff his new boss then maybe that means we'll get a fourth series out of him...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Zygons, Ice Warriors, Daleks and the Monk? I don't think so. Moffat has openly stated already in interviews that he'll be relying less on old monsters/foes and is more interested in creating new ones (rather like Hinchcliffe then).

A large pinch of salt is required there methinks.

well i'll happelly be happy to see just the Zygons and Ice Warriors in series 5 -

The first special- Easter- will be directed by the reassuringly expensive James Strong.

Si xx

RTD dropped hints to us on Friday night that there might be a connection between his NA Damaged Goods and The Next Doctor...

Si xx

For some reason that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Apparently it won't be all the drug taking though!

Si xx

Without checking I can't remember but didn't he raid another book for ideas in the past?

RTD dropped hints to us on Friday night that there might be a connection between his NA Damaged Goods and The Next Doctor...
    What connection is that then do you think? I've never read Damaged Goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    What connection is that then do you think? I've never read Damaged Goods.
    Wiki says:
    "The novel is set in Britain in 1987, and involves the Seventh Doctor and his companions Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester living on a working-class council estate while attempting to track down an infinitely powerful Gallifreyan weapon before it falls into the wrong hands. A young boy living on the estate, Gabriel Tyler, appears to be the focus of strange powers, and also for the attentions of Mrs Jericho, whose own grievously ill young son seems to be linked to Gabriel in some way, through a secret Gabriel's mother has long tried to hide."
    I've highlighted what I think he might have used from this passage. Can't remember much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Wiki says:
    "The novel is set in Britain in 1987, and involves the Seventh Doctor and his companions Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester living on a working-class council estate while attempting to track down an infinitely powerful Gallifreyan weapon before it falls into the wrong hands. A young boy living on the estate, Gabriel Tyler, appears to be the focus of strange powers, and also for the attentions of Mrs Jericho, whose own grievously ill young son seems to be linked to Gabriel in some way, through a secret Gabriel's mother has long tried to hide."
    I've highlighted what I think he might have used from this passage. Can't remember much else.

hmm i hope that dosen't mean Sylvestor Mccoy's going to be the new doctor..