Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The above post from Paul makes me think he may have a touch of the Pertwees - does he throw away pages which he doesn't feature in, and sit there saying, "Thin episode this week, Simon!"

Going back to the cliffhanger, I think it worked OK - Mike did an excellent job of 'end of episode acting' with his delivery, and combined with the sudden musical build, that really 'bigged it up'. It certainly wasn't an "OMG how on Earth will he survive that?" ending, but no question it's left me wanting to hear episode 2!! But it's interesting to see how different people respond differently to, er, stuff. (Sorry, that sentence kind of got away from me.)

WhiteCrow Guest

On the subject of the cliffhanger - it's interesting. When I first read the script I did suggest the cliffhanger didn't seem well cliffhanger-y enough. But listening to it, although not fraught with peril, it does end nicely on a tense note.

Yeah it's no "I'm regenerating ...", but it would have been easy, and more than a little cheap to have someone trapped in a lift with poison gas rising to say next week "oh it was only knock out gas after all".

And please let's not call Zunestra a villain, he's not, he's just a very successful business man whose jealous competitors have made some nasty and quite honestly libelous comments about!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    And please let's not call Zunestra a villain, he's not, he's just a very successful business man whose jealous competitors have made some nasty and quite honestly libelous comments about!
    Yeah, and Hitler was a little bit naughty.

I loved the story & the cliffhanger was fine. I too liked the fact that the story was underway when we join it, very reminiscent of some new series stories. Can't wait for episode 2.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Going back to the cliffhanger, I think it worked OK - Mike did an excellent job of 'end of episode acting' with his delivery, and combined with the sudden musical build, that really 'bigged it up'.
    Well that was a line that Si Hart made me repeat a couple of times to give it that kind of "big up dramatic tension", so kudos to the director for knowing what he wanted and coaxing the performance.

Indeed monitor, indeed.

Wayne Guest

Well Si, i've actually listened to it twice. Because i really did think it was very good. Well done. (and to all)
    I know i said this about 'Haniad', but i do think these are really just getting better & better, And this is shaping up to to be my new favourite. (Part 2 notwithstanding)
    I think everyone was good, right down to the cameos, but i really found that i enjoyed the Doctor & Ed stuff here, even more than 'Haniad'. Somehow the chemistry really shines through on this one. Paul is sounding more & more confident with each passing story. I remember a comment that that Terry wotsit bloke who was here for a while made quite some time ago, along the lines of Paul's Doctor needing a bit more 'oomph'. At the time i quietly agreed, but i'm now firmly of the opinion that Paul has found that extra 'zing'. I stress once again very strongly that in no way to want to denigrate what has gone before, but i can't help but feel that that kind of hard to pin down Doctor-ish quality has definitely been more evident to me in this current PS season so far. I really do feel like i'm listening to 'the Doctor'. Everyone will have their own feeling on this, but i get a bit of mix of McGann & Troughton coming through somehow.
    But as i say, the chemistry between the Doctor & Ed sounds really good. I felt that i noticed Martin a lot more in this one as well. From his first scene where he's on about talking to himself, i thought 'Oh Martin (no pun intended) is sounding good'. And i enjoyed the scene where he's deliberately getting Ridgeway pissed. And congrats to Martin as well on his excellent accent work.
    Talking of Ridgeway - Well done Si! I really enjoyed Ridgeway. You seemed to fall very naturally into the role. It's always a good sign, when you feel as though you're listening to a 'character', as such, rather than someone merely pretending to be somebody else, if you get my drift.
    Great to hear Kathy again! I really do mean it when i say that i think she has a natural talent for acting. It was so obvious in the last one that she had a big part in. I think she could do some professional work in acting, myself.
    Mike as Byron Zunestra was also immediately convincing & believable. I'm so impressed that everyone in this play just sounds so believable. There's not one person the cast that doesn't sound good. As i say, right down to the cameos. The bit that made me laugh was that i could swear someone was trying to do a Sid James impression on the bit where the guards are taking the mick out of Ed, & keep bursting out laughing.
    It's obvious Mr Hart that you've invested a lot into the this one, & i can tell you in all honesty that from a story/script point of view, it definitely kept me interested throughout the whole episode, & really did feel involved in it.
    From the techie point of view, the only thing i noticed that could possibly be contstrued as a critiscism (albeit a very minor one) is that on a couple of scenes i noticed that certain voices were louder than others when they perhaps could've been balanced at the same volume. Although i appreciate that this must be very difficult to acheive when you're getting recordings from different sources.
    However, i was very impressed by your varied use of incindentals. From the set pieces like the Rachmaninov, to the little dramatic 'surprisey' bits that fit with a particular bit of dialogue or underscore a change in mood. You have a good sense of how do acheive a good balance there. Too much of it has the effect of desensitising the listener, so that these little signposts get lost in the general melée. Ironic then, that it's one of your favourite stories (i think) The Leisure Hive, that i always think of as a good example of that.

Crikey, i think this is the most i've ever said about PS Audio. Just goes to show that i was obviously impressed with it. Well done to all concerned!

I've only listened once so far, but can't disagree with anything Wayne said. However, I'll wait until part 2 before I say more

(BTW I'm hoping for a safe-cracking scene which ends up with the Doctor emerging from said safe )
    Bazinga !

All I can say is for Wayne

I've been thinking much the same all day!

Si xxx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've been thinking, "That Wayne is a silver tongue smoothie & no mistake".

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I've been thinking, "That Wayne is a silver tongue smoothie & no mistake".

In amongst all the other things you think about during the day, of course...

I try not to think, it gets me in to trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    But as i say, the chemistry between the Doctor & Ed sounds really good. I felt that i noticed Martin a lot more in this one as well. From his first scene where he's on about talking to himself, i thought 'Oh Martin (no pun intended) is sounding good'. And i enjoyed the scene where he's deliberately getting Ridgeway pissed. And congrats to Martin as well on his excellent accent work.
    Thanks Wayne! I think my performance in this story is stronger than in the previous one.

I'm glad people like Ed! I thought he was a bit Donna-ish in this story actually!

This whole chemistry thing is weird because (no disrespect to Martin) for Haniad I had literally met him that day and we just rattled through our lines. Heist was a bit different as Martin was basically part of the furniture by that time but I do find it odd because its nothing I was really aware of.

Wayne Guest

Just listened to Part 2. Excellent!
    Great double twist! I've really enjoyed this story. I'm gonna listen to it again from the beginning when i get my CD.
    I loved the sarcasm of Jan's line to the Doctor: "You don't live in the real world do you, Doc-tor."
    Really enjoyable stuff! Once again, congrats to all concerned.

Great stuff!

Thank you

Si xx

Finally got to listen to part 2 this morning (yesterday was one of those days really) and really enjoyed it. As Wayne says, that was a great double twist, and I didn't see either coming (I thought Jann's accomplice would turn out to be Alex's assistant from episode 1 - another 'Admiral Piett' guess for me there then!). It was nice to hear the Doctor so pleased to see Ed come back (Ed's line about the Doctor needing to trust people more was excellent) and the whole episode was nicely action-packed without being confusing.

It's been a really enjoyable tale, great fun with some great moments, and well done to all concerned!!

Thank you Andrew and Wayne.

I really wasn't sure the double cross by Ed was going to work well enough, as I didn't think there were enough clues earlier in the script to make it seem plausible, but I was obviously wrong. Hooray!

Hope people liked Ed's first TARDIS scene. That was a joy toi write and I really sensed Paul and Martin had great fun with the iconic lines.

Si xx

Well done Si and all the cast . I'm glad I guessed right about Mr Ridgeway.

Production wise I thought the New Series style recap at the start was excellent and fitted right in.
    One slight quibble - in the odd scene where there was lots of music in the background I sometimes found the dialogue a bit difficult to hear. Not a major thing (probably just my age) - but constructive criticism I hope !
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    in the odd scene where there was lots of music in the background I sometimes found the dialogue a bit difficult to hear.
    Actually I noticed that too!

It's worth remembering that this was Si's first production of a full story. You learn lots doing it, and while I was able to pass on bits and peices I had picked up Si mostly had to learn from scratch. I think he did very well considering all this!

Si.

It's useful to know- it's a steep learning curve going from a 5 minute scene to a 50 minute full adventure. I've learnt a great deal, and I'm always happy to hear if anyone has a problem or any useful advice about what I've done. It's something I can apply should I do another one.

Si xx

Next week:

The Boys are back in town!

Si.

Oh my!

Si xx