Default Another book by J.K.Rowling.

J.K.Rowling is to publish another book which is sure to sell in the millions.
    But the big difference here is that she is to receive no money from it. It's being sold for charity, like two previous books, "Fantastic Beasts & where to find them" & "Quidditch through the ages".

This one is the fabled "Tales of Beedle the Bard" from the book "The Deathly Hallows" that J.K.Rowling originally wrote as gifts for six close friends who helped her with her writing career & one that went to auction & was bought by Amazon for $1.9million.

There will be two versions, one limited collectors edition & a normal hardback.

You can see more here.

Ah yes I've heard about this. Being a big Harry Potter fan I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

At $100 a copy, I think I'll be giving this one a miss...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

That's only for the collectors edition.

Even you could come up with £3.99 from Amazon couldn't you?

I saw the title to the thread, and I thought "Oh! She's starting something new", but it seems not...

This news makes me wonder whether or not Rowling's got any intention - or ability - to write anything that isn't related to Harry Potter... makes me wonder just how much juice there is left to squeeze from the series...
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

I'm still waiting to hear of the kids book she was supposed to be writing.

As for another Harry Potter book, there's only an Encyclopedia, called 'the Scottish book' in lieu of a proper title & that's it...well that's what she has said.

WhiteCrow Guest

I'm sure she's said on interviews she's got lots more ideas for stories, not just Harry Potter - obviously not.

I'm still to read the final book yet, I really must get a move on.

It would be nice to see her try and write something entirely different - let's be honest, she hasn't really got to worry about it being a huge success and thus saving her from living in poverty, so she's probably in the very fortunate position of having total creative freedom to write simply for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    It would be nice to see her try and write something entirely different - let's be honest, she hasn't really got to worry about it being a huge success and thus saving her from living in poverty, so she's probably in the very fortunate position of having total creative freedom to write simply for the fun of it.
    IMO, this is the ideal dream position for any writer - you're completely free to write the story you want to write, rather than have to edit, adjust, and sometimes completely rewrite it to be what your audience and publishers want you to write. If people don't buy it, it's no real loss on your profits, and the only harm (if any) would be to your image and credibility (which would probably still be worth a fortune despite any damage).
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

I agree. But in J.K.Rowling's case she'll sell loads of copies even if it is poor.
    A lot of her fans will buy any book with her name on the cover.

Dave Lewis Guest

Anybody rushed out this morning to buy it?

Someone or other from the Guardian did: read her live-blog-as-she-reads-it here.

I didn't expect anything earth-shattering - and it doesn't sound like it is - but it's for charidee, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    A lot of her fans will buy any book with her name on the cover.
    That'll be me, then... My copy is still on its way so I can't offer an opinion yet. I must admit to looking forward to it, though.

My copy arrived about midday. I've had a glance at it but not read it yet.

Lets revive an old thread!

I *adored* Beedle the Bard. Anyone else?

Yes I do. I got the 'cheap' book for Christmas & it's great. Typically I like The Tale of the Three Brothers best, but also The Hairy Heart & The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Babbity Rabbity' is a good chuckle too.