Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Although Spurs also put themselves in a vulnerable position by spending money before the Berbatov deal was signed.
    Those signings came from money made from previous player sales. If you look at what we brought in his season, and then look at our original transfer budget, Keane's sale and thn the sale of the Sunderland crew and Kaboul, and that tends to equal itself out. We should have 30 million to spend in January.

From Sky Sports:

The new owner of Manchester City, Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim, has intimated that Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ADUG) could back a £135million bid for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo in January.

The agreement of an ADUG takeover deal at Eastlands was announced on Monday and was followed by the shock capture of Real Madrid forward Robinho for a British record fee of £32.5million.

Chief executive of Hydra Properties, Al-Fahim is reportedly 10 times richer than his counterpart at Chelsea, Roman Abramovich, and he has revealed there are plans to bring in a 'minimum 18' players to the club.

"Ronaldo has said he wants to play for the biggest club in the world, so we will see in January if he is serious," Al-Fahim said in The Guardian.

"Real Madrid were estimating his value at $160million (£90m) but for a player like that, to actually get him, will cost a lot more; I would think $240million (£135m). But why not? We are going to be the biggest club in the world, bigger than both Real Madrid and Manchester United."

It is also reported City will look to target the likes of Liverpool striker Fernando Torres and Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas as the club aim to build a side capable of achieving success in Europe's most prestigious competition.

Al-Fahim added: "We want a team who can win the UEFA Champions League. We're not just going to spend money on anyone, but if we can get the biggest players in the world, and of course if the manager wants them, then we will get them."
    Could Man Utd afford to turn down a bid of that size? I'd say that the owners would be sorely tempted to cash in at that price.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Manchester City with money could be downright dangerous!

From the point of view of somebody with no particular interest in either team but has a bit of knowledge of business finance, the American owners of United and Liverpool are probably looking over their shoulders now as their interests in the US start to lose their value. Less disposable income in America means less coming into their sporting franchises and other businesses, and they're probably cross-guaranteeing each other so that if the Glazers' other franchises lose value, that means that they need to keep United successful but can't necessarily raise the finance externally to invest in the team.

Man City could be the biggest club in the world!!

Elsewhere, no-one seems to know what's going on at Newcastle with Kevin Keegan, and it seems that Alan Curbishley has left West Ham - expect Slaven Bilic to be installed as boss anytime soon, I reckon.

Before any feels Spurs have been hard done by, it is good to be reminded of their appalling behaviour last year when it came to their managerial merry-go-round.

Daniel Levy was accused of being 'the personification of hypocrisy' as the Tottenham chairman called for changes to be made to the transfer system in England.

Levy is still smarting over the way Manchester United and Liverpool captured the club's two leading strikers - Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane - over the summer.

The Spurs chief feels both deals were done in an underhand manner and, although he has not put in an official complaint to the Premier League, he wants changes to be made.

But Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has condemned Levy's reaction over the Berbatov deal.

He still harbours bitterness over the way that Spurs captured Juande Ramos last October and believes losing his strikers to two of the big four is payback for Levy's alleged illicit approach for his former coach.

Del Nido said: 'The way that Ramos flew the coop and abandoned his team en route to London last year totally disrupted our season and now I'm pleased that Spurs are being paid back in kind over the Berbatov transfer. Their complaints are hypocrisy personified.'

Del Nido also criticised Levy for going back to Sevilla to conduct a long campaign to attempt to sign Spanish international winger Diego Capel.

He added: 'For months now Spurs have been trying to sign Capel and sending emissaries to try and persuade us to sell. We told them what our understanding of the player's worth was and therefore what the minimum we would demand in order to let Capel go.

'But it appears they couldn't pay that price so they didn't get him. I must admit that if it had been any other team the price I'd have quoted to sign Capel would have been lower.

'In fact there is no point in telling a lie the price would have been considerably lower. Now they've missed out on him and we won't sell Capel to Spurs.'
    Though it was in the Daily Mail.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'd argue that there's a difference between courting a manager (who can resign) and a player (who's essentially a well-paid slave for the duration of his contract). But the sum total of the evidence- and the way that a promising young team has fallen apart in the space of a year or two- does suggest that the people at the top at Spurs don't really know what they're doing from one minute to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    and it seems that Alan Curbishley has left West Ham - .

and i'm absoloutly delighted he's gone..

I stand by what I said earlier in this thread. The board had lost faith in him, and have treated him shoddily in recent weeks. Thye should have had the nerve to sack him if they really wanted him out, not undermine him.
    Similar things are happening at Newcastle, the only real difference is that Keegan is loved by the fans and Curbishley had lost the West Ham fans long ago.

I don't know why. Have West Ham not had their best start in the Premiership? Did he not save them and then finish in a decent mid table position last season?

That's progress in my book. I think Hammers fans need to learn a bit of patience as they're not one of the big 4 clubs.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Manchester City with money could be downright dangerous!

From the point of view of somebody with no particular interest in either team but has a bit of knowledge of business finance, the American owners of United and Liverpool are probably looking over their shoulders now as their interests in the US start to lose their value. Less disposable income in America means less coming into their sporting franchises and other businesses, and they're probably cross-guaranteeing each other so that if the Glazers' other franchises lose value, that means that they need to keep United successful but can't necessarily raise the finance externally to invest in the team.

can't remember the exact figures but they were saying in the papers that this Arab consortium have a combined wealth up to 10 times more than Ambramovich - if that's true Manchester City will be the dominant force within 2 or 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I don't know why. Have West Ham not had their best start in the Premiership? Did he not save them and then finish in a decent mid table position last season?

That's progress in my book. I think Hammers fans need to learn a bit of patience as they're not one of the big 4 clubs.

well we stayed up inspite of Curbishley and not because of him.

but Duncan, as a Charlton, fan you should know exactly what Curbishley is like he plays boring unatractive negative football that is simply not the West Ham way. Yes we may of finished 10th last season but Curbishley was never going to take us futher/improve no disrespect 12th to 16th place finishes might of been ok for Charlton fans but it's no longer good enough for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I stand by what I said earlier in this thread. The board had lost faith in him, and have treated him shoddily in recent weeks. Thye should have had the nerve to sack him if they really wanted him out, not undermine him.
    Similar things are happening at Newcastle, the only real difference is that Keegan is loved by the fans and Curbishley had lost the West Ham fans long ago.

I will agree the way he has been treated is bad he said he lreft because of differences in transfer policy but he only has him self to blame he pi*sed away nearly £50m on injury prone average players non of whome have been that great. The board lost faith in his transfer dealings and thats why he was not given any money to spend.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    can't remember the exact figures but they were saying in the papers that this Arab consortium have a combined wealth up to 10 times more than Ambramovich - if that's true Manchester City will be the dominant force within 2 or 3 seasons.
    The figures I've heard are 23bn for Chelski and 500bn for Man Shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well we stayed up inspite of Curbishley and not because of him.

but Duncan, as a Charlton, fan you should know exactly what Curbishley is like he plays boring unatractive negative football that is simply not the West Ham way. Yes we may of finished 10th last season but Curbishley was never going to take us futher/improve no disrespect 12th to 16th place finishes might of been ok for Charlton fans but it's no longer good enough for us.
    Why isn't it? I'd rather finish 12th to 16th in the Premiership than be where we are today languishing mid table in the Championship.

Yes, his style may be defensive at times, but Curbs gave Charlton stability before taking us into the Premiership. Then, apart from the first season when we came straight back down, he kept us in the top flight. Surely, after just escaping relegation, a few seasons finding your feet would have been accetable rather than demanding european football straight away? And surely having your best ever start to a top flight season is an improvement?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

so it's Zola, the new manager dissapointed it wasn't Billic, yes zola, has no experience but it now seems pretty certain that Steve Clarke, will be coming to upton park as his no 2. That is a major coup for us and Clarkes. experience will definitely be of benefit to zola.

Dave Lewis Guest

As an aside, Zola the player was a hero, a legend and a gentleman - everything that the current Chelsea squad are not; in particular their overrated captain 'JT'*.

Chelsea and England captain John Terry suggested Zola would one day go on to manager the Blues.

"I'm sure one day he'll be back at Chelsea working with us," said Terry, speaking in Zagreb, ahead of England's World Cup qualifier against Croatia.

"He's got a little bit more experience after managing Italy's Under-21 side so it'd be great for him to get more experience at West Ham and hopefully one day be Chelsea manager."
    Zola to use the Hammers as a stepping stone to the glory of Stamford Bridge? I really can't stand John Terry - I hope Zola comes out of retirement and sticks four past Chelsea himself, nutmegging Terry on every occasion and making him look the prize w*nker that he is.

*= Jumped-up tw*t

Dave Lewis Guest

Two words - Love. It.

The highlight was surely Rafa going absolutely mental to try and prevent Robbie Keane being substituted after spotting Mascherano was injured. The man showed more passion at that moment than when Babel scored the winner, the ice-cool bearded Rene Artois lookalike. What a hero.

dissapointing start for Zola, it seems the West Ham of old our back a mixture of entertaining football and crap defending I just hope zola can install in us some ot that italian mentality to defending.

Liverpool 2 - Man Utd 1.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Few things will persuade me to stay up late for Match of the Day, but this was one of them. All Liverpool's first goal needed was some comedy "clang" noises, which it will no doubt get at some point in the future.

Worst start for 34 years! I can't even remember that far back!

English clubs up and running already in Europe!

And hurrah for the return of the perceptive and cutting comments of Mr Lewis!

Sheff Utd winning their appeal is a sad day for football the fact the original verdict was upheld by the first arbitration and thrown out by the courts I can't understand why we even agreed to this futher arbitration we should of said no and by doing that we would of left ourselves a legal right to refusse to abide by the result.

I really fear for us now because Sheff Utd will not except anything less than £30m, and if we are forced to pay that it could kill us - there would be mass sales to meet the costs and there could well be no players of any real value bought for a good couple of years.

find it hard to get my head round the pannels logic that we would not of stayed up with out Tevez, by the time of those last 3 games we were on a roll having won 4 out of 6 games confidence and moral was flying so there is a very good possibilty that even with out him we would of still got at least 6pts from those last 3 games and over hauled the goal difference.

But this scenario, seems to of been totally lost on this pannal they seem to of just had one thought in their minds and not considered any other possibilities or even stopped to think that one man cannot posably be to blame for another teams failure to pick up enough points over 38 games too stay up.

But I'd like to bet that nobody mentioned to the pannel that when Tevez, signed for us we lost 12 of the next 15 games failling to score in 7 successive matches so it was obviously that spectacular run of form that was to blame for sheff utd going down.

and now up to 10 sheff utd players are going to sue us for loss of earnings - they play crap all season are the people who are ultimatly responcible for their relegation and have the bare faced cheak to sue us.

This once and for all kills off any pretence this was ever about fairness and justice and determination by sheff utd to toally and utterly financialy ruin West Ham and kill the club off for good.

Isn't that what could have happened to Sheff Utd after going down?

At the end of the day (and I am not familiar with the why's and wherefore's of this case), IF Tevez was not eligible to play then West Ham gained an unfair advantage. However, without Tevez, West Ham could very well have stayed up anyway. No one can say either way on that score which is why I feel Sheff Utd should just drop this.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    At . However, without Tevez, West Ham could very well have stayed up anyway. No one can say either way on that score which is why I feel Sheff Utd should just drop this.

which is why the reasoning of the Arbitration pannel is so seriously flawed.