Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Captain Tancredi Guest

Unfortunately the footballing authorities have decided in several cases now that a change of ownership doesn't exonerate a club from having to deal with the consequences of the misdeeds of the previous owners. West Ham broke some rules and kept their Premier League place, so it may well be that some sort of financial restitution is seen as a trade-off of sorts. Unlike some of the Football League clubs now dealing with heavy points deductions for going into administration, West Ham have at least had two years of top flight football with the money that entails, and if they haven't put at least some of it away against this kind of eventuality then it's their lookout.

It might not have worked out so badly if the Blades had gone straight back up, but the Championship can be a very random league and they didn't adjust well. Following the local news, United have also been tapping in to an unspoken feeling that the (London-based) football authorities have backed a London club against a Northern club and they've been able to get a certain amount of local support because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Unfortunately the footballing authorities have decided in several cases now that a change of ownership doesn't exonerate a club from having to deal with the consequences of the misdeeds of the previous owners. West Ham broke some rules and kept their Premier League place, so it may well be that some sort of financial restitution is seen as a trade-off of sorts. Unlike some of the Football League clubs now dealing with heavy points deductions for going into administration, West Ham have at least had two years of top flight football with the money that entails, and if they haven't put at least some of it away against this kind of eventuality then it's their lookout.

It might not have worked out so badly if the Blades had gone straight back up, but the Championship can be a very random league and they didn't adjust well. Following the local news, United have also been tapping in to an unspoken feeling that the (London-based) football authorities have backed a London club against a Northern club and they've been able to get a certain amount of local support because of that.

I've never bought into that theory I think when you look at the league positions at the time i think who ever the club was regardless of north or south the EPL, would of made the same decision and impossed a fine.

Hi Dave!

<cough 2 cough 0 cough>

Tell me about it. Today was our 2nd home defeat on the trot! We had a hatful of chances which the current squad have a habit of squandering and it's looking likely (even this early in the season) that Charlton will spend another season in the Championship.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Hurrah for Hull City!

It's now our worst start for 53 years - that's when Quatermass II was on telly!
    Last edited by Jonno; 28th Sep 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Hi Dave!

<cough 2 cough 0 cough>
    Grrr....

Everton are awful at the moment, and it's hard to believe that it's pretty much the same team which did so well last season. We've yet to win at home, which is just shameful, and in the last week alone we've gone out of one cup competition and lost the first Merseyside derby. If we go out of the UEFA Cup on Thursday, that's our season up the swannee, and all the hard work of last term undone.

There's still the FA Cup, Dave!

Not if the FA Cup goes like it did last year.

Pip Madeley Guest

Business as usual for United tonight, shame they can't play like that every match!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Not if the FA Cup goes like it did last year.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Grrr....

If we go out of the UEFA Cup on Thursday, that's our season up the swannee, and all the hard work of last term undone.

and out you went - but to be fair Standard Liege, look a very decent side I watched them against Liverpool in the champions league and they were very unlucky to lose that game.

the latest news is now Bolton are thinking about suing us because Carlos Tevez beat them 3-1 we finshed 2pts ahead of them in the league thus doing them out of £700k.

but the biggest laugh is Neil Warnock, is also suing us he blames us for loss of earnings, being out of work for 5 months and saying if it wasn't for us he'd still be Sheffield Utd manager. Sadly Mr Warnock, seems totally oblivious to the fact that he resigned and walked out on Sheff Utd, and seems to think we should pay him componsation.

He only resigned because they were relegated.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    and out you went - but to be fair Standard Liege, look a very decent side I watched them against Liverpool in the champions league and they were very unlucky to lose that game.
    Just as well they only ordered Standard, really...

It could be interesting at the end of Liverpool's year as Capital of Culture when they sit down and work out where all the visitors came from. "Hang on, we've got ten thousand Belgians and they all came back a fortnight later..."

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    He only resigned because they were relegated.

regardles of that he still chose to resign nobody forced him out .

As a life long Charlton fan, I am in two minds about this.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1795323.ece

It's worked for Chelski and it remains to be seen if it will work for Man City, but due to the collapse of the Icelandic banks, West Ham could be in desperate financial trouble.

Still, it will be nice to have some money at the club at last if the takeover goes ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    As a life long Charlton fan, I am in two minds about this.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1795323.ece

It's worked for Chelski and it remains to be seen if it will work for Man City, but due to the collapse of the Icelandic banks, West Ham could be in desperate financial trouble.

Still, it will be nice to have some money at the club at last if the takeover goes ahead.

certainly is a suprise this one - you do have to question why when there are plenty of premiership clubs ripe for a take over why any consortium with money to spend would want to invest it in a mid table championship club. you also have to wonder just how much money will actualy be put into the club and how wealthy these guys actually are.

Yes Charlton, are a well run club with an excelent stadium and perhaps this consortium see a lot of potential there - I would certainly say Charlton for future development are in a better position then what QPR are despite all their apparant wealth.

It was great on the podcast, it was even better hearing it on 606 but now we can actually see it -

Bohemian Rhapsody by Teletext Alex

And a cameo from Issy Clarke who I fancy so it's even better.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Very clever! Though I don't think I've heard of half the players he mentioned!!

Captain Tancredi Guest

At least one ex-Tranmere player in there (McGreal) and I'll claim a Cook and a Little as well, for that matter.

Funny thing about John McGreal- Ipswich signed him from us a week or so after we'd played them in a cup tie which they'd won 1-0, courtesy of a McGreal own goal. When you're looking to sign a central defender, the ability to head into his own net from about three yards out isn't traditionally one of the things you look for...

@Lissa's link & Ian.

When you're looking to sign a central defender, the ability to head into his own net from about three yards out isn't traditionally one of the things you look for...

LOL - You think that's funny back in 1984, we beat Bury 10-0 in the League Cup, at Upton Park, then a few weeks later we signed their central defender Paul Hilton, who had played in that game. Even to this day I never have been able to understand why our then manager John Lyall, did that.

May be it was down to him that you didn't win by more?

PARDEW OUT!

Pip Madeley Guest

Easy win for Man United tonight. Regardless of the two dubious goals I think 3-0 still flatters Celtic, we had so many other opportunities plus Rooney's disallowed goal, it should have been 5 or 6 really.

Tonight the huge gulf in quality between the English and Scottish leagues was there for all to see.