Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In one of those bizarre PS moments, a group of us were watching the game against the Kiwis in a restaurant at lunchtime when my colleague Natalie exclaimed "That's Jo Ellis! I used to go to school with her!"
    Haha... funny how that seems to happen to us! I'm guessing that was Jo Ellis (dark curly hair) who used to run rings around me at uni (she was a Leeds Met girl, boo), rather than Jo C Ellis (blonde, usually starts as sub) who plays most of her hockey in Ipswich. She was a nice girl, except when she's running at you at light speed!

Watching the dressage today I was astonished at how many of the horses failed to settle. There was a poor Portugese bloke whose mare just kept leaping in the air until he retired her after a couple of elements. Now there was a lot of spooking in the eventing, but that's not so unusual for the highly strung, scopey event horses. But for so many dressage horses to get uptight - I think the humidity (and the very elaborate judges boxes) must have played a part. The top ranked horse came out looking like it had done a 30km endurance ride! I hope that this doesn't cause the inevitable post-Olympic inquisition to question further the role of equestrian event at the Games... they have a proud history, and we're pretty good at them!

Emms and Robertson are out and everyone continues to spurt all over Phelps...

but at least the athletics has just started.

GBR are doing well in the velodrome with Hoy getting a World/Olympic record.

I've a little bit of the hockey, the football and as much as I can of the Kayaying/Canoeing.

It's a sporting highlight for me, as kayaking never gets shown on tv apart from at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    GBR are doing well in the velodrome with Hoy getting a World/Olympic record.

the sprint persute team totally blew away the opposistion to win the Gold medal in the other cycling events Bradley Wiggins set an Olympic record as Great Britain made a blistering start in the heats of the men's and women's individual pursuit.

Wiggins set a personal best with four minutes 15.031 seconds, while Steven Burke clocked a time of 4mins 22.2secs. In the women's competition Brits Wendy Houvenaghel and Rebecca Romero set the two fastest times over 3km.

Ban Ainsley is now guaranteed at least a Silver medal while while the GB Yngling crew can do no worse than bronze.

in the rowing we are through to 10 finals.

WhiteCrow Guest

I didn't like the look of that Nastier Lookin' girl who's just won the gymnastics - looks a real cow.

WhiteCrow Guest

I really enjoyed watching the womens hocket team yesterday - he he he.

I noticed that the BBC were only showing Sharron Davies from the neck up during this year's swimming coverage, but I never knew there was an official "cover-up".

As usual, The Daily Perv is on the case:

Sharron Davies defies the great BBC Olympic cover-up ... and shows off her amazing legs

Check out Chiles in the Mail's other pics!

Edited to add:

A. I can't believe that Phelps actually won that race!

B. I can't believe what Adlington is doing in the 800m Freestyle right now!

Last edited by Milky Tears; 16th Aug 2008 at 3:24 AM.

wonderful news to wake up to Rebecca Adlington wins her second in the 800m freestyle final and sets a new world record..

Loads of medals for GBR today in the cycling & rowing!

Yes, some excellent results for GB today, especially the two 1-2s in the cycling (women's individual pursuit not finished yet but it's an all GB final ). But I think despit all that the most astonishing thing I've seen was the men's 100m final. Now, I never doubted that Bolt would win, and I thought he'd break the world record, especially after running 60m and jogging 40m in the semi and making 9.85. But the fact that he broke the world record and still only really sprinted 80m of it was just incredible. He didn't even pump his arms for the last 10m! Just how fast will the guy go?

That was a final to savour! I seriously think he could go sub 9.60s

fantastic day for team GB Winning 9 medals and all you can say is thank god for our sailers/rowers and cyclists

bronze in womans and mens double skulls

gold medal in the coxless 4

gold medal for beccy addlington in the 800m freestyle

cycling

Bradly Wiggins wins a gold 3000m individual pursuit

Steven Burke, wins a bronze in the same race,

Chris Newton, wins a bronze in the points race

Chris Hoy wins Gold in the Keirin race
    Ross Edgar wins silver in the keirin

and we are guaranteed gold and silver in the womans 3000m individual pursuite..

that including Ben Ainsley, and the Yngling crew, both guaranteed at least a silver plus 5 more rowing finals sunday could be yet another highly successfull day.

More drama from Radcliffe (and Yelling) in the marathon and Constantina Tomescu Dita must be at least 50 years old! 38, my arse!

4 more gold medals today plus 2 silvers not quite as good as yesterday but we are at the moment up to 3rd in the medal table.

Fantastic stuff from GB in the water (plus a few tight fourth places), but they're taking the piss now. Louis Smith has just won Bronze on the Pommel Horse!

Jeanette Kwakye has also made the women's 100m final.

WhiteCrow Guest

I've found the coverage for this Olympics to just be abysmal.

It's almost all been cycling and rowing - on Satellites we've had the voyeuristic Beach Volleyball, but not Indoor Volleyball. No coverage of much in the way of hammer throwing etc either. It just seems to have lacked the broad spectrum of events going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I've found the coverage for this Olympics to just be abysmal.

It's almost all been cycling and rowing - on Satellites we've had the voyeuristic Beach Volleyball, but not Indoor Volleyball. No coverage of much in the way of hammer throwing etc either. It just seems to have lacked the broad spectrum of events going on there.

come on mike, we have totally dominated the cycling and always win medals in the rowing so it's inevitable the BBC will devote a lot of screen time to them.

As for the Volleyball, well for a start we don't have a team in it and it's a sport few people in the UK have any interest in.

another fantastic day today with another 8 medals

4 gold
    3 silver
    1 bronze

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee Bailey View Post
    I'm guessing that was Jo Ellis (dark curly hair) who used to run rings around me at uni (she was a Leeds Met girl, boo), rather than Jo C Ellis (blonde, usually starts as sub) who plays most of her hockey in Ipswich.
    Actually, now you mention the Leeds Met connection, she used to be in our local papers quite often because she played for Ben Rhydding, which is just up the road, until she went somewhere else to play at a higher level.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    come on mike, we have totally dominated the cycling and always win medals in the rowing so it's inevitable the BBC will devote a lot of screen time to them.
    And yet there's been detailed coverage of Beach Volleyball and Basketball, which I don't believe we've a team in at all. Blow me I don't have a clue when I try to watch the Basketball.

I just think compared with the Athens Olympics of 2004 which seemed to offer a much broader taste of Olympic events from the satellite options, there's been much less of that this time around.

And why do much Equestrian coverage? Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post

And why do much Equestrian coverage? Yuck.

well we did win 2 bronze medals......

It's Britains's best Olympics since 1920

I love the fringe benefits of James' perving

Nick Rogers and Joe Glanfield recovered from a poor start in the men's 470 medal race to win silver and Britain's third sailing medal of the Games