Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

I think it's definitely Si's best production yet - you really get a sense of atmosphere

And Martin's script is terrific, his characters are all very different & interesting, and a classic cliffhanger

Excellent work everyone - Paul does a sterling 'angry Doctor' job on Tor , and well done Si (were you channelling the spirit of Cyril at the time ?). And well done Martin - loved the way the Nimon were dealt with .
    (and was anyone alse reminded of a certain fungus-based lifeform at one point ....? )

Now we just need to see what Dave's fantasy world is like.... oh, I mean Nick, of course
    Only another 7 days to wait
    Bazinga !

No disrespect to any of the other writers/actors, but this is deffo my fave story of the season! As Pip says, it's full of atmosphere, and all the cast are really on top form - even that dullard who plays security guards all the time has a certain cynicism and irascibility which comes across quite well.

A couple of very minor niggles, though this may be because I was listening to it through our TV:

The balance in the first couple of scenes was a bit out - I could hardly hear some of the dialogue over the music and sound effects

Some of the dialogue is a bit distorted, though I realise that there's nothing that can be done to this in post-production.

Oh, and some of the cast seem to be wearing high-heels - even Mills!

These issues aside, I'm really looking forward to the second episode!

It was very good. Most enjoyable! And again a nice contrast to the other two stories we've heard this season.

And yes Jon, I was channelling Cyril Shaps for all I was worth.

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 9th Aug 2008 at 2:03 PM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm glad people are enjoying it!

Si.

I'm really glad everyone's enjoying the story so far!
    I feel I should point out that it was Si Hunt who wrote Rob's fantasy scene, and an excellent job he did too!

This was the first time I had heard how everyone portrayed their characters and delivered their lines, and everyone got it spot on, just as I had imagine in my head.

I think Alex steals the show a fair bit with his larger than life portrayal of Leckard, I loved the way he delivered the 'That's because I turned the lights off, for dramatic effect', very sinister. I think he makes a nice opposite to Paul's very calm Doctor.
    I also think Mr Cox does a fine job of making Mills a likeable character, you can really feel his frustration with the Doctor.
    And SiHart does a brilliantly Cyril Shaps-esque Thrace, I wish I had use him a bit more!
    Pip also plays the Baron of Boralis excellently, I really enjoyed writing those lines, he sounds very regal!
    I also love Paul's dark/angry Doctor in the scene with Tor Garane, he sounds quite threatening at times.

And, of course, Si's production was excellent, I did wonder as I was writing the story whether the auditorium scenes would be too awkward to produce - but they sound brilliant.

Phew, I'm glad Martin enjoyed it! No disrespect to anyone else, but I'd have been dissapointed if the person who's script I was producing wasn't happy with the finished result. I just hope we did it justice, and I think we did!

Si.

Aw, thanks for that Martin, I really enjoyed playing the part so thanks for writing it so well!

I was dreading hearing this to be honest, as it's my first major role and, well, you know it's always a bit odd hearing your own voice on stuff, but I think it's a fantastic play, everyone puts in a really great performance, Martin especially sounds extremely sinister, and the Doc, Rob and Nick are on top form as always.

And the production side of things continues to astound me, it just sounds so good, so kudos to Si on that side of things.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Aw, thanks for that Martin, I really enjoyed playing the part so thanks for writing it so well!
    Thanks Alex!
    I was glad to see Tor Garane described as 'scary' and 'sinister' too - I was coughing for a good while later after doing the voice!

I've just listened to it again, and I really do like Rob as the hero in his fantasy as well, and the way Paul plays the Doctor there, as well as Nick's reactions to the whole thing, all very amusingly acted

It seems like an appropriate time to praise Dave, because he really doesn't get enough plaudits for his playing of Nick. It's probably hard to realise when you only hear the finished, polished results but Mr Tudor is always line-perfect and totally consistent; whatever situation Nick is dropped into at the start of a scene, he just picks up and runs with. I think to some extents Nick is our "straight guy", so doesn't get the funniest lines (with a few exceptions there, I see) but it's easy to forget just how good he is. We're lucky to have both him and Rob as our companions, and one of the nicest things about "The Paradise Machine" is seeing the original team back together again after a break. Ed has been great, but we've missed the original trio as well!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We're lucky to have both him and Rob as our companions, and one of the nicest things about "The Paradise Machine" is seeing the original team back together again after a break. Ed has been great, but we've missed the original trio as well!

Si.
    Oh, most definately! I really enjoyed writing the interplay between Nick and Rob - and I think the second episode should be quite Nick-heavy! Also loved Dave's delivery of 'He's right Doctor - it does smell', it sounds perfectly serious and not silly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It seems like an appropriate time to praise Dave, because he really doesn't get enough plaudits for his playing of Nick. It's probably hard to realise when you only hear the finished, polished results but Mr Tudor is always line-perfect and totally consistent; whatever situation Nick is dropped into at the start of a scene, he just picks up and runs with. I think to some extents Nick is our "straight guy", so doesn't get the funniest lines (with a few exceptions there, I see) but it's easy to forget just how good he is. We're lucky to have both him and Rob as our companions, and one of the nicest things about "The Paradise Machine" is seeing the original team back together again after a break. Ed has been great, but we've missed the original trio as well!

Si.
    Absolutely, I always think Dave's fantastic in each audio I've heard him in, often adding a real gravitas to the more threatening situations they often find themselves in.

I do like Ed a lot though, my dream scenario would to see them all together.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Who knows, maybe one day it will happen! (but honestly no plans as yet!)

Si.

Wayne Guest

Sorry i've not had a proper chance to listen today. I've downloaded them though, & will listen tomorrow with *fresh ears.

*waits for obligatory Ant Cox quip.

Wayne Guest

That was excellent! As someone said earlier a nice contrast from the other two stories, & a some very atmospheric sound design.
    Top marks to Alex for his performance as Leckard. Very enjoyable.
    Rob's fantasy was fun. Congrats to whoever did the Nimon. The voice is bang on!
    Other good characters were Thrase, Mills, & the Baron of Boralis, which is a notable example of Pip's growing versatitily. I liked Mills' chuckleworthy line: 'I nearly got trampled to death by thousands of pompous millionaires' And talking of versatility, I have to take my hat off to Martin, especially for Tor Garane. The scene between the Doctor & Tor Garane, which led up to a cracking cliffhanger, was particularly good. And well done again to Paul for another fine performances as the Doctor, which showed through especially well on that scene.
    Nice to hear Dave & Steve back in action as Nick & Rob. Nick is sounding good in this one, but i think i've got to know the regulars well enough now to admit that Rob is probably my least favourite of the companions. Rob is just such spoofy sounding character that he just reminds me more of a piss take of a Dr Who companion. Like some weird spoof hybrid of Adric & Jo Grant. Not dissing Steve at all, or his acting ability, because i'm sure his comic Grange Hill character delivery on lines 'It's a Nimon', or 'I had an amazing dream!' is all quite deliberate, rather than being down to lack of talent on Steve's part. So please don't hate me Steve. It's just personal preference. Same as i like Zoe better than Vicoria, or something.
    That said, i did find this to be another very enjoyable episode, & i look forward to part 2. Well done everyone!
    Now that i've got my CD, i must fit in the extras on 'The Heist' next.
    Last edited by Wayne; 10th Aug 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Congrats to whoever did the Nimon. The voice is bang on!
    That's our ever versatile Mr Barnes again!

i think i've got to know the regulars well enough now to admit that Rob is probably my least favourite of the companions.
    Aw, I love Rob! I think the key thing about him is, he's totally opposite to Nick. Having another dramatically 'straight' male companion wouldn't work I don't think, but they work in good constrast to each other. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I think the many fans of Rob on PS would disagree!

Si.

Wayne Guest

I agree about the contrast. Rob is definitely a 'contrast'. I don't hate Rob, but there are moments when he makes me cringe. But then so did Jo Grant.

I think that's intentional! That's Rob's character really - he's there to make the Doctor and Nick "cringe" sometimes!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Oh don't get me wrong, i know it's all deliberate, but we all have different tastes.
    My fave companion is Ed Bradley. There, i said it.

Pip Madeley Guest

Rob's an aquired taste, it's certainly easy to write lines for him, I'm a bit mean to him at the end of a forthcoming story I think my next story (if I ever write one again) will be a Doctor & Ed story, just to try the different contrast.

Ah, poor old Rob! What can be said in his defence?

I don't actually have an answer to that.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of The Paradise Machine. What's Tor Garane up to, eh? And what's really going on with the Machine itself? And what about Doctor Who finally getting his comeupance? It's about flipping time if you ask me!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

It's nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ah, poor old Rob! What can be said in his defence?
    Well, he's very earnest!

Actually it's alright - Whereas Rob was created by Si Hunt (via a sex change from a character in a previous story), it was I who invented Ed Bradley! Hahaha!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Ha! We posted at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    it was I who invented Ed Bradley! Hahaha!
    Well done Steve.

I like Ed very much too, but writing for Nick and Rob is always fun too.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.