Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Pip, you sound like a hard-up actor, dying for some work!!!!

I've just listened to this. It's really excellent (mind you, if I'm honest, I think they are all excellent).

Nice to have the old team back again for this one - but I do hope we hear more of Ed in the future.

Ant, your Mills character is very good - he is a bit more animated than Humber in Protii (although I rather like Humber anyway).

I love all the characters in this so far. As Tim says there's a Leasure Hive thing going on here isn't there? - A run-down pleasure facility, a new machine to be demostrated, Paul Monk walking out of the recording muttering something about a f**king dreary script!!!! - just kidding there Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    As Tim says there's a Leasure Hive thing going on here isn't there? - A run-down pleasure facility, a new machine to be demostrated
    Oh yes - I hadn't noticed that!

although I rather like Humber anyway
    I prefer the Thames myself.

I watched the 1st episode of The Black Adder last night and couldn't help but think of the Baron when I saw Brian Blessed.

Pip Madeley Guest

Pip, you sound like a hard-up actor, dying for some work!!!!
    I'm always up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley
    I'm looking forward to the Baron of Boralis spin off series.
    It would be cancelled after a few episodes for deafening listeners.

I've just listened to this. It's really excellent (mind you, if I'm honest, I think they are all excellent).
    I'm glad you enjoyed it Andrew!

I've never actually seen the Leisure Hive, so I'll have to give it a watch...

Pip Madeley Guest

Episode two is now online - click the forum banner at the top of this page!

Part 1 of episode 2 doesn't seem to download in MP3 format! the rest work OK
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I finally got to listen to part 1 last night - really enjoyed it. I see what people mean about a sort of Leisure Hive-yness (probably to do with shuttlecraft arriving) but in fact I was more reminded of the early parts of The Lazarus Experiment. ("I'm Rob McCow and I've 74 years old!") It was a really enjoyable first half to a story, starting off with the mystery of what was going on, then gradually unveiling the machine. I particularly like that even at the halfway mark I'm not sure who the 'big' villain is - is it Martin's amoral banker (a tautology, I know) or Alex's Leckard? Why did the latter kill the Professor? What's going on?!!

Script & productionwise, the story was clear, I didn't find myself losing track of who was who, or what was what (or even where was where). The performances really were all very strong - Pip's booming Baron reminded me a little of the Duke from New Earth (but also, I have to admit, I pictured him as looking like Ian Levine!), and I liked the way he refers to himself in the third person. (The image of the Baron pronouncing "The Baron is satisfied" after sex is the stuff of nightmare.) Si's Professor was wonderfully Shaps-y (deliberate I'm sure!) and it was nice to hear Ant in a bigger part again - I didn't notice the high heels that Ant mentioned, but it will make me picture Mills quite differently when I listen to part 2!!

Who else? Oh yes, Alex was superb as Leckard, it sounded like he was really relishing the bossy dialogue - I particularly enjoyed his dominating the Professor during the demonstration ("Before the Professor bores us all to death" and "Oh I'll do it!") and also his killing of the Professor later on. And Martin with his alien voiced Tor Garane - very different from Ed, the silky-voiced rasp really worked well!

And finally... Nice to see the original team back. Loved Nick's comment about gay space station names, and Rob's differently-played Rob inside the machine ("my sonic doohicky will reverse the polaritines" or whatever it was). And of course behind it all, Paul solid as ever as the Doctor, switching from explorer to investigator to moral guardian at the drop of a hat (is he wearing a hat in this story by the way?).

Anyway, in a nutshell, enjoyed part 1 - now let's g'on to part 2!!

"...a strategically placed rake..." made me laugh

A good effort I reckons overall! Lots of fun and a nice comeuppance for the evil Leckard... but will repitillian Tor Gorane be back to get the better of the Doctor? I hope we hear more from him in the future!

Nice production again Si. It sounded fab!

Oh, and that's it, isn't it, for the season. It's been really good stuff, even if I do say so myself!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Part 2 was certainly a lot of fun. There were some very close scrapes for the Doctor and co this time!

I think this was more of a plot-led story, with the mystery of the Paradise Machine driving things forward in an engaging way. It got a little bit cheesy towards the end, but overall it was great! Well done Oh Martin Penny!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

BEWARE SPOILERS, BEWARE SPOILERS, BEWARE SPOILERS!!!

Just finished part 2 - nicely rounded off the adventure with some good laughs along the way (the gag about Nick's wholesome fantasy, "The Baron was appalled!") and an interesting conclusion to the story. For some reason I expected the Doctor to reveal that he'd sealed the hatch so that Leckard wasn't killed - came as a bit of a shock to find he hadn't, and that he'd let him go to his death. It's the classic thing of having given him a choice I suppose, interesting. Again, all the cast were excellent, but I would like to single out Alex's Leckard - he got some really classic lines and gave them such a spot-on 'Who' delivery (my favourite, "my wonderful, wonderful Paradise machine") that he really made the part his own, excellent.

I enjoyed the ending too, particularly the way that the Doctor's rambling anecdote faded into the background - that would have been an excellent conclusion in its own right, but by crikey! What a cliffhanger!!

It would have been good if we could have actually heard the cliffhanger appearance of the Daleks but I suppose Nick Briggs probably wasn't available that day - for a moment I thought that it was another dream, or a wind up by Nick, but I assume not. Now I can't wait for the second half of the season!!

Just to add... This has been a really enjoyable mini-season. Not only are we listeners lucky enough to get superb production values, and great performances, but also the three stories have been all quite different in style & feel - just like the TV version, at its best, there's a consistency of quality, but a variety of story, which keeps it always exciting and interesting. Just superb - or, in the words of old Mr Grace, you've all done very well! Thanks guys for all the hard work, it's really appreciated and enjoyed.

is he wearing a hat in this story by the way?).
    I think he may have left it in the TARDIS for this adventure, but you'd have to check with Martin!

Glad you enjoyed it Andrew! Is the first part MP3 file now fixed?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Part 1 of episode 2 doesn't seem to download in MP3 format! the rest work OK
    There's no problem with the link, just downloaded it and plays fine! Must've been your Internet?

some good laughs along the way (the gag about Nick's wholesome fantasy, "The Baron was appalled!")
    Ad lib alert

I think it was a great episode, well produced by Si and well written by Martin, can't wait for his next story. As for the Baron, I was trying to go for the Blessed approach, but going quiet at the big words, e.g. "THE BARON OF BORAAAAAALIS... demands proof."

And remember, if you buy the CD of this and help us raise money for Barnados childrens charity, you'll get a DOUBLE DISC release with an extended 4-part version (with brand new scenes!) as well as the 25-minute documentary 'Creating Paradise' presented by THE BARON OF BORALIS! Packed with interviews and a hilarious selection of out-takes. Buy it!

Wayne Guest

Ironically, i'd just finished listening to the downloads when my CD popped through the door. (Thanks Si)
    Great episode everyone! Paul & Alex were really on form in this one, & i loved Nick's "Clear Waters" fantasy, which was completely unexpected!
    I haven't listened to the extended ep yet, but i really enjoyed 'Creating Paradise', which was probably the best feature yet. Well done esppecially tp Pip, & Mr (Johnny Vaughn meets Jonathan Ross) McCow for that!
    Smashing stuff once again everyone, & congrats to all concerned.

Pip Madeley Guest

i really enjoyed 'Creating Paradise', which was probably the best feature yet
    Cheers Wayne!

Just listened to Part Two and really enjoyed hearing it all come together, it really is quite exciting hearing your dialogue come to life. As always everyone did a great job of playing their characters, I have to tip my hat to Dave Tudor for his acting in the Paradise scenes, he was a wonderful way of treating absurd situations very seriously, to great comic effect.

And Alex as Leckard continued to be a joy to listen to - I loved the way he delivered the line "It'd be funny if you werent so pathetic...oh well, I'll laugh anyway!" He really nailed the character.

I'm glad to see the Baron has gone down well too! With only a small number of lines, I think Pip managed to make him very memorable. It was also a nice surprise to recieve my CD this morning and find out that the entire documentary was narrated by the Baron, great work Pip!

I was more reminded of the early parts of The Lazarus Experiment.
    Pip's booming Baron reminded me a little of the Duke from New Earth.
    Funnily enough Andrew, those two thoughts occurred to me while I was writing the story! I kept picturing the Paradise Machine to look like the Lazarus machine...

I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

There's no problem with the link, just downloaded it and plays fine!
    No, I had the same problem Pip - but I downloaded the WMA version instead, which was just as good!

Wayne Guest

I think someone should write a story where Leckard & Zunestra meet up & form a bad guy partnership. I can't decide which one is my favourite villian!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    There's no problem with the link, just downloaded it and plays fine! Must've been your Internet?
    I had the same problem too!

I'd just like to echo the general heaped praise for Alex as Leckard - definitely the star of the show - although due respect must be given to all the cast here (even you-know-who ) who really draw you into the story.

The PS Audios just go from strength to strength!

Just so you all know, here's the official hat / jacket status for each story this season.

Heart of the Haniad: No jacket and no hat. Both left in Tardis.
    Heist!: Jacket worn whole time. Hat worn at Zunestra's party.
    The Parasdise Machine: Jacket worn at all times. Hat left in Tardis.

So a bit of a hat-lite few stories. The hat will, however, make a re-appearance for the rest of the season.

I was going to let you off wearing a hat in Heist! Paul!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Mayber the next story should be called Invasion of the Trilbys or The Bowler Terror?

I was going to let you off wearing a hat in Heist! Paul!
    Fine by me!