Thread: Seen 'em all?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    If we were about the same age i'm sure i wouldnt've minded playing with Carol in the bath.
    I was only five or six years old- it would have been literally all good clean fun since there was copious amounts of Matey bubble bath! All I knew that was different about boys is that they had "widgies"!

Wayne Guest

I couldn't put an exact figure on it, but i'm sure i was playing doctors & nurses with Kerry Revel from across the road at pretty young age.

I couldn't put an exact figure on it, but i'm sure i was playing doctors & nurses with Kerry Revel from across the road at pretty young age.
    "The Jefferies Operation"

Wayne Guest

I just have The Stones of Blood and The Androids of Tara left to see, although there's a slim chance I might have "seen" The Androids of Tara in my early weeks of life (and a couple of episodes of The Stones of Blood I think too).

You know what, I'm going to be a boring tw*t and list every episode I've seen/heard.

An Unearthly Child (got dvd)
    The Daleks (got dvd)
    The Edge of Destruction (got dvd)
    Marco Polo
    The Keys of Marinus
    The Aztecs
    The Sensorites
    Planet of Giants (part 1 only)
    The Dalek Invasion of Earth (got dvd)
    The Time Meddler (got dvd)
    The Daleks' Master Plan (part 2 only)
    The Power of the Daleks
    The Moonbase
    The Macra Terror (parts 1 & 2 only)
    The Evil of the Daleks
    Tomb of the Cybermen (parts 1 & 2 only)
    The Web of Fear
    The Dominators (part 1 only)
    The Invasion (got dvd)
    The Seeds of Death (got dvd)
    The War Games
    Spearhead from Space (got dvd)
    Doctor Who and the Silurians (got dvd)
    Inferno (got dvd)
    Terror of the Autons
    The Mind of Evil
    The Claws of Axos (got dvd)
    Colony in Space (parts 1-4 only...then I gave up)
    The Daemons
    The Sea Devils (got dvd)
    The Mutants (part 1 only)
    The Time Monster
    The Three Doctors (got dvd)
    Carnival of Monsters (got dvd)
    Frontier in Space
    Planet of the Daleks
    The Green Death (got dvd)
    The Time Warrior (got dvd)
    Invasion of the Dinosaurs
    Death to the Daleks
    The Monster of Peladon (part 1 only)
    Robot (got dvd)
    The Ark in Space (got dvd)
    The Sontaran Experiment (got dvd)
    Genesis of the Daleks (got dvd)
    Revenge of the Cybermen (parts 1 & 2 only)
    Terror of the Zygons
    Planet of Evil (got dvd)
    Pyramids of Mars (got dvd)
    The Masque of Mandragora (part 1 only)
    The Hand of Fear (got dvd)
    The Face of Evil (Parts 1-3 only)
    The Talons of Weng-Chiang (got dvd)
    Horror of Fang Rock (got dvd)
    The Invisible Enemy (got dvd)
    The Invasion of Time (part 1 only)
    The Ribos Operation
    The Pirate Planet
    The Stones of Blood
    The Androids of Tara (parts 1-3 only)
    City of Death (got dvd)
    The Leisure Hive (got dvd)
    The Keeper of Traken (got dvd)
    Logopolis (got dvd)
    Castrovalva (got dvd)
    The Visitation
    Black Orchid
    Earthshock (got dvd)
    Time-Flight (got dvd)
    Arc of Infinity (got dvd)
    Mawdryn Undead
    Terminus (part 1 only)
    The Five Doctors (got dvd)
    Warriors of the Deep (got dvd)
    Frontios (part 1 only)
    Resurrection of the Daleks (got dvd)
    Planet of Fire
    The Mark of the Rani (got dvd)
    Timelash (got dvd)
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Delta and the Bannermen
    Remembrance of the Daleks
    Survival
    Doctor Who: The Movie

And the whole new series!
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Wouldn't it have been been easier to list the ones you haven't seen?

A fair few there where you haven't seen the whole serial. What happened?

I forgot to watch the rest. And I've seen about half the episodes, so it wouldn't really hlep to list them.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

In the case of The Tomb of the Cybermen, parts 1 & 2 are the better of the four I think. Have you also really watched parts 1 & 2 of The Macra Terror???

And... if you like Time-Flight (note the hyphen) you may well love Four To Doomsday when you get to it. And season 24...

If anyone's interested -

1979 - Born.
    1980 - Was when my Mum stopped watching Doctor Who. It was Full Circle Part 3 and the monsters coming out of the sea frightened her little boy!
    1983 - Paul Giles' birthday party. Doctor Who was on, which I knew I was scared of. It seemed to be lots of old men running around in a garden, being chased by strange, black triangles. Then a Dalek turned up and I was quite scared. Then it blew up and I was horrified! There may have been tears.

There's a bit of a break and then...

1987 - Saw the end of part 3 of Time and The Rani. The Doctor was being brain drained and it was pretty damned scary. But just about tolerable... I was looking forward to Hi-De-Hi!
    Later that year I watched Dragonfire and loved it. The only bit that was too scary came in part 3 when Kane's face melted. I didn't see it though, because my eyes were firmly shut!
    1988 - Realising I feared Daleks the most, I got my parents to buy Day of The Daleks, obviously the biggest, scariest Dalek story of them all judging by the title. A whole day! With Daleks! This was when I became a fan.
    1988-1989 - Watched Doctor Who on TV, getting half the videos when they came out. My cousin Phil got the other half. A deal I came to regret!
    1989-1995 - Carried on buying the videos as they came out. Saw off-air recordings of a few from UK Gold, such as Inferno, The Mutants, Invasion of The Dinosaurs and Curse of Peladon.
    1995 - Gave up on Doctor Who. The reason was No Future by Paul Cornell and also my Dad's comment 'Why do you read that pulp rubbish?'. There really was no future for Who.
    1996 - TV Movie. The night I watched it I thought it was the best thing ever. The morning after I realised it was utter crud. A one-night stand from hell!
    1999 - Returned to the Who fold thanks to a "3 for £15" video deal offer at WH Smiths. I purchased The War Machines, The Happiness Patrol and The Awakening/Frontios. Wasn't overly impressed with any of them, but I was starting to feel the need to collect the videos again. I got Attack of The Cybermen / The Tenth Planet for Christmas, but they were both a bit rubbish.
    2000 and onwards Bang on with the Doctor Who collecting. In 2003 I payed £20 for The Web Planet VHS, which I thought was reasonable given that it cost that much in the first place and had been going for a lot more! I even got the so-rare-people-wonder-if-it-was-actually-released Reign of Terror Box Set.
    2007 Watched my last, full old series Who - The Sensorites. It f***ing rocked my little world. What a fantastic story. :rock

That's the Who That Was!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Have you also really watched parts 1 & 2 of The Macra Terror???
    I think he might have listened to those.

@'Rob'.

Just re-reading SP's list - go off and watch Robots of Death this instant, it's a classic!!

While you're at it, see if you can work out the significance of the scream in part one. It's still bugging me.

If there actually is one. SP, Zbigniev says there is a scream, let's keep the point open.

I think one of the robots did it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    If anyone's interested
    A fun read. Everyone should do one.

My history of watching the show for whomever it may concern

Well I must have seen the show on transmission pre 1970 but I can't really recall much about TV overall in that era ... I do remember watching Who from 1970 onwards and continued to watch it every Saturday until 1979 when I realised I wasn't enjoying it any more... next stop was the Five Faces Of Doctor Who in 1980/81? The chance to see archive Who in the pre video era was quite exciting! I'd never seen a Hartnell of Troughton story prior to this I distinctly remember the Carnival of Monsters being the third Doctor's story I really enjoyed seeing this and the 60s stories and it returned some of the magical feel to me of the programme. Next stop 1983 and The Five Doctors... god what a let down I found this....just awful! I gave up on the series after this and winced when I saw any of the 80s offerings. I distanced myself from being a fan to a former fan of the series... when I saw Sylvester McCoy in the part circa 1986 I wondered why it was still on TV...

I noticed in the mid 90s there was something afoot about DW making it to the big screen but I paid little interest. Nobody was in it that I knew after all...

Around 1997 I browsed some Who VHS Videos in a Virgin store feeling somewhat self conscious and geek like. However I spotted "The Green Death" and something within said I must buy! I was sad reading the cover notes to discover Jon Pertwee had died a year earlier and I knew nothing about it

A week later I bought The Pertwee Years and Return To Devil's End VHS tapes.

Next up was archive who on BBC2 in 1999 - I recorded Spearhead on Space onto a VHS tape but missed the beginning

Nothing further until 2003 when the 40th anniversary prompted me to check out the BBC website and within no time at all I was collecting the DVDs and the Waynester kindly lent me copies of the whole series in 2005 when I could finally say I'd watched all the complete stories of the classic series.

On the new stuff I watched series 1, some of series 2 and hardly any series 3 or 4. It's not my bag anymore and could be any series as far as I'm concerned

The magic still continues though for me through 1963-1979 and particularly the golden years of 70-77

Still awake well done!

The classic era is all pretty fresh to me as on the very best era for me surprisingly enough.. many of the Pertwees I've only seen once on transmission and once by choice since Much joy is also experienced from the Tom Baker era

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Around 1997 I browsed some Who VHS Videos in a Virgin store feeling somewhat self conscious and geek like.
    You and your 'geek' obssession!

You and your 'geek' obssession!
    the worst would be going to the counter at a newsagent clutching a copy of DW magazine!

That'd be far worse than a copy of Jugs monthly

Wayne Guest

Oh yeah, well DWM is a different story. That is for..... erm..... shall we say 'dedicated fans'.

For what it's worth, here's my series-watching history:

1972 – Born (whilst The Time Monster was being transmitted – just my luck! )

Mid to Late 1970’s – Can’t recall exactly when I started watching DW but I have very, very clear memories of watching it in our sitting room at the flat where I first lived. I used to sit on the sofa with a cushion handy so that if there was anything that scared me I had something to hide behind until it went away! The trouble is, I can’t recall any specific story, but Tom’s time-tunnel title sequence is very vivid in my mind’s eye.

1980 – The first specific bit of DW I actually remember watching was the opening sequence of The Leisure Hive.

1981 – The next specific bit of DW I remember watching was the end of Logopolis – not sure what happened to the rest of Season 18!

1982 – Here’s where my memories become very vague – I vaguely recall watching Earthshock, but I can’t honestly say that I remember any other specific Davison story. Having said that, I was very aware of him being The Doctor and thus I must have watched DW at this point.

1985 – I definitely recall watching Attack of the Cybermen, specifically the bit with the Policeman in the manhole. I don’t really remember any more of Season 22, but I know for a fact that I watched The A-Team a lot during the mid-eighties and I seem to remember them being on at the same time.

1986 – Again, my memory is a little vague, here. I can’t recall any specific bits of TOATL from when it was on, but when I watch the courtroom scenes now I get a very strong sense of nostalgia which leads me to believe that I must have watched at least some of Season 23

1987 – I became friends with Andrew Clancy and everything changed. Whilst my interest had waned during the eighties up until this point, Andrew’s love of DW re-invigorated my enthusiasm and it’s at this point that I watched the series religiously, though that’s not to say that I enjoyed much of it! For the next few years my life pretty much revolved around DW and my friendship with Andrew, and nearly all our spare time was spent together watching or doing anything DW-related that we possibly could!

1996 – I had a gig on that particular Bank Holiday evening when the TVM aired, but I taped it and watched it the following night. I was glad that DW had returned but I wasn’t really over-struck with the TVM, and TBH I think I’ve only ever watched it twice all the way though.

2005 onwards – Naturally, I’ve watched all of the New Series so far and have enjoyed pretty much all of it, though it doesn’t (and never will) have the same affection in my heart that the Classic Series does.
    Last edited by Antony Cox; 8th Aug 2008 at 1:13 PM.

And now me...

1992: Born

1993: Probably saw 30 years in the TARDIS on my dad's knee

1996: Was probably asleep during the Movie

2003: Watched The Story of Doctor Who and was instantly enraptured

2005: Saw beginning of new series...WOW!!!!! Better than I ever thought!

Xmas 2005: Received first classic Who dvd for Xmas: The Leisure Hive. Watched and was instantly enraptured (again).

August 8th 2008: Now have 65 DVD's and have seen more than half the classic series.

Am now eating sausages.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    1996: Was probably asleep during the Movie
    Me too - and I was 24!

Meh, there's always Youtube.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

And here is mine:

1979-1989: Doctor Who was on the telly and I only missed a couple of episodes- Pt 4 of The Krotons in 1981, Pt 2 of Meglos and pt 3 of Planet of Fire. By 1983 we were videoing it to keep and by 1986 I was taping every episode, cutting out the titles, of course!

1986: First of many BBC Videos, Revenge of the Cybermen. The following year my best friend reveals he too is a Doctor Who fan and over the next few years we buy alternate BBC Videos so that we can see them all.

1988: A boy in my sister's class at school teels her he's got a story called The Green Death on video... we borrow it and love it! The boy's brother is a massive Doctor Who fan...

1989: The boy's brother come up trumps for us, firstly with copies of Curse of Peladon and Planet of the Daleks copied from betamax and then allows us to borrow his huge bag of betamax videos! Loads of rare stuff there in nth generation copies that we squint up- most lovely of all the very rare, Invasion! Fab! We buy a betamx video between us and have a great time copying the tapes to VHS (and down another generation, but who cares)

1990: I reply to an ad in a magazine saying Doctor Who videos for sale, £10 per story. I go for The Leisure Hive and Shada first, because I want to see The Leisure Hive again and Shada, because well, no-one's seen it. Qulaity isn't brilliant, but what the hell, we've seen Shada (in Black and white!). We order more from him that Christmas before he writes to us to tell us he's been prosecuted by The Federation Against Copyright Theft. Oh my!
    BSB starts and we record lots of old DW from there!

1992: New contact Craig in Liverpool starts sending us stuff. We clean up on Doctor Who! Hooray! Still a few gaps though.

1993: UK Gold arrives for me and Pertwees are duly recorded before i go away to Uni in Sept. I'be now been lucky enough to see almost everything.

1994: See the last two Tom Baker stories I've missed, Face of Evil and The Invisible Enemy thansk to my friend Steve who's a fan too.

1997: Meet Dan Hogarth who lends me copies of a couple of Hartnells/ Troughtons I haven't seen. Steve sends me a copy of The Reign of Terror and the Aussie Censor clips. Fab!

1998: Finally see The Tenth Planet and am disappointed my last story is so dull.

1999: A copy of the Lion turns up in my house unexpectedly, just after its return. Have a special party where we all eat Lion bars!

2004: Day of Armageddon arrives from a friend just after it's rediscovery. It's awesome!

2005- present: New Doctor Who. Hooray!

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 8th Aug 2008 at 6:40 PM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.