Default Terence Rigby has died

From BBC News:

Actor Terence Rigby, who appeared in a string of television dramas and films, has died at his London home, his spokesman has confirmed.

The 71-year-old, who had been suffering from lung cancer, was best known for his role as PC Snow in the 1960s TV series Softly, Softly: Task Force.

His film credits included Get Carter and Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies.

Catherine Sparks, Rigby's sister, said: "We are so proud of Terry and are going to miss him terribly."

"He was true to his art and respected by all the industry - he was the actor's actor," she added.

Pinter friendship

Rigby's interest in acting began while in the Boy Scouts and then at grammar school in Birmingham and later in the Royal Air Force.

He went on to gain a place at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts where he trained alongside the late John Thaw.

The actor took an early interest in the playwright Harold Pinter.

In 1965 he starred as Joey in The Homecoming, and as thuggish manservant, Briggs, in No Man's Land a decade later. He also took on the role of Davies in The Caretaker.

Rigby became close friends with Pinter, and in an interview with The Guardian newspaper in 2003, he said: "I used to go round to his house in Hanover Terrace. I had that irritating habit of just turning up, which I suppose is a working class thing."

Rigby collaborated on several occasions with theatre director Sir Peter Hall, most recently in 2005 on Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.

He also played Dr Watson in the BBC's 1982 adaptation of the Hound of the Baskervilles, opposite Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes.

The actor's spokesman Peter Charlesworth said: "He will be sorely missed. There are not so many like him any more.

"He was a very powerful character actor, able to play villains and nice roles with ease. He was particularly good at playing Pinter roles, which were very difficult."

It may well not be a name that rings a bell with many people, although I suspect the face may be a little more familiar.

Personally I remember him partly as Watson to Tom Baker's Holmes, but even more affectionately as Tommy 'Bomber' Lancaster in the very latter days of Crossroads (I would guess around 86-88). I thought he was marvellous in that, and it always seemed quite a surprise that he did it!

RIP.

How sad. He seemed to be one of those very dependable actors who cropped in many - often distinguished - productions, and who was always very good. Personally, I remember him best from The Beiderbecke Trilogy, and the marvellous Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Rest in peace, Terence.

He was a good actor and like Andrew I have fond memories of his stint at the end of Crossroads.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.