Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default BF Short Story Competition 2007

Not Benny this time, but Doctor Who!

We're offering new writers the chance to have their work published in one of our 2007 volumes of Doctor Who - Short Trips short story anthologies. The competition is open to anyone, of any age, who has never had a work of fiction published that they've been paid for. All entries must be received by 31 January 2007.

Since 2002, Big Finish has published numerous anthologies of short stories featuring the first eight Doctors. The Short Trips range has included writers who've written for the Doctor Who television series, the authors of Doctor Who and science fiction novels and a number of first-time authors. Big Finish have just announced their Short Trips titles for 2007 and beyond - and your story could be in one of the collections!

Your story should start from the premise "How the Doctor changed my life".

What's it like to meet the Doctor, to be caught up in one of his adventures? Perhaps your story is about someone who gets a trip in the TARDIS? Maybe it's about a bystander who watches events from afar? Whatever you choose, things are never the same once the Doctor is involved

Your story should be no more than 2,500 words in length. You can make use of any of the first eight Doctors. You can also use any of the "classic" television companions (up to and including Ace) and any of the Big Finish companions (Erimem, Evelyn, Hex, Charley and C'rizz but not Lucie, please).

You cannot use either the ninth or tenth Doctors, nor their companions, nor any other of the Doctor's past friends and enemies. No Daleks, no Cybermen, no Time Lords, no Drashigs or Slitheen. Your story should be wholly original

Click here for more details!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can't wait to recieve that 'Standards were very high, it made it difficult to choose a clear winner, sorry' Email!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well, good luck to all those who try their hand. Let the good times roll.
    I am out there... somewhere.

You can't say good luck to all of them! Just about every one of them is going to lose!

Still, the pleasure should be in the writing itself and not whatever plaudits are sent your way afterwards... so I've been told!

Well, good luck with actually getting the thing together and sending it off anyway.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    You can't say good luck to all of them! Just about every one of them is going to lose!
    No, really? That's what it's called a competition. Of course only one person is going to win, hence the good luck to all who *try their hand* at entering the competition. If they don't try, they have no chance of winning.

Judging by your initial comment, Steve, you don't expect to win anyway, so I assume you're not gonna bother entering.
    Last edited by Andy Frankham; 5th Dec 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Sorry - my reply was a bit mean, especially as you only came on to same something nice!

I'm all excited, which is nice. I have no illusions that winning will be very hard, but I'll do my best and see where that gets me. Actually, I've been doing my best for a few hours now and things are coming along quite nicely.

Excellent! I hope you do well Paul. Your writing is very good.

Si xx

Paul deserves it in my opinion. But then I praised him enough elsewhere. I don't want to inflate his ego

I may enter. I have one or two ideas. We'll see.
    Anyone who enters and gets rejected, remember we'd love to see your results on the Planet Skaro Fiction section!!

My story is proivisionally completed. I want to get a couple of people to read through it, and then make any changes that may be necessary before sending it off though.

Rest assured, if it's not successful and that's a very real possibility, then it will find its way on here.
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 5th Dec 2006 at 3:14 PM.

I'd be more than happy to read it through, Paul.

Best of luck, Mr C.

Cheers Andy.

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed, good luck Paul I'm going to have a go too.

It'll be about a guy called Elton, an ordinary guy, he likes football, a drink, Spain, ELO...

Oh.

Wait.

3808 words. Bugger.

Is that all, Andrew? Don't worry about it, too much. I always overwrite for BF, but then that gives me the chance to tighten the story up. Trick is to look at it objectively (or get someone to do so for you, who has some writing experience, and isn't biased - i.e. not someone who will says it's great because they're close to you) and work out what isn't needed. And believe me, there is always padding that can be removed. *looks at 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince*

True enough, and I haven't even started to hack through the thicket yet for a first time, 3808 was just the number when I reached the end. But thanks for the encouraging words!

Edited to Add: 2563 - almost there!!
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 10th Jan 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Well, I've given it a go and come in at 2450 after hacking and pruning. I probably need to leave it a couple of days and have another read and tidy up, but so far I'm happy (and not at all confident).

Aynone else besides Andrew and Paul had a go ?
    Bazinga !

Steve has written one too.

Si xx

Steve is writing another one - the first didn't fill the brief! It was basically an extra companion who joined the Doctor for a while, went back in time to meet Petrach and loads of other exciting things, but it wasn't right because he was still the same character at the end of it all. Attempt two starts today. It's completely different.

Sent! And after a last minute tweak (much scratching of heads took place looking for an alternative to 'terracotta') the count is actually exactly 2500!!

I hope it does well! If not I'd be interested to read it at least. I found it difficult to come up with a take on 'how the Doctor changed my life'. It was too easy to end up with something trite in 2,500 words, like My Brief Meeting With Doctor Who Taught Me To Love Again.

Hmm, I'll have to knuckle down and get it done tonight. I've only got 1,500 words down.

Good luck, Andrew. I daresay we'll hear how it goes.

Good luck to everyone who goes in for this. It's not something I could do so I admire you all.

Heh, 2497 words of loveliness are winging their way to Big Finish via Email. It's called Time Shear and features the 4th Doctor and K-9.

I cut the exploding giant frog though. I feel sure this will count against me!