Default Return of the PDA's

from this months DWM , Justin Richards IS
    he is asked about the future of the past Doctor adventures. his reply

HIs reply is "We've been doing some thinking, and we think we've reached a conclusion. We hope to announce our plans in the nest issue or two and I think you'll be pleased".
    well don't want to count my chickens but I really hope they are going to relaunch the PDA's but only if they are in the same writting style as the old range and not the dumbed down style of the TDA's.

The TDAs may be coming out in big chunky hardbacks, but they're pretty much on a level with the BBC Books and the majority of New Adventures. Apparently the writing guidelines are exactly the same as those for the BBC Books.

But that's an aside - the presence of Old Series toys with the New Series logo also suggests a rehabilitation of the first 26 years of the show into the modern range. Will this mean we see the First Doctor battling the Slitheen?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I hope we get the Eighth Doctor battling Jacobi's Master

well don't want to count my chickens but I really hope they are going to relaunch the PDA's but only if they are in the same writting style as the old range and not the dumbed down style of the TDA's.
    I don't think dumbed down is the right term really. I imagine they just have a different target audience these days. The books are aimed at the teen market rather than the adult market, and the style, content and stories will by necessity be different.
    I welcome more Who fiction, especially if it's got past Doctors in it, but I'm wary of the news. I don't think there's going to be sales that will set the world alight and if it does happen I won't be banking on it being for very long. And they're not just going to pick up where they left off- I for one don't imagine we'll see the resumption of the EDAs with the set of companions they'd created: there's too much history there for the general public to have to buy into out of the blue.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I agree with Si - even if they bring back Past Doctor books, they'll be in the same 'style' as the new season ones I would imagine. The new series books are enjoyable enough, but I've yet to find any of them as satisfying as one of the good NAs or EDAs (that's not, of course, to say that there weren't some right stinkers in the NA & EDA ranges). And not only are the new books aimed at the teen market, they're also not aimed at diehard Fans, which the ranges pre-2005 most certainly were.

Besides, I've only just finished Wetworld, so I'm already nine behind with just the new season books!!

Who isn't behind Andrew. I find I;m picking anbd choosing my way through them, as there are generally, dare I say it, far more interesting things to read... Oh my! I said it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

There are, there are, tis true!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I haven't even made it as far as Wetworld- I don't find them substantial enough to be worth my time and the ones I have read (up to The Price of Paradise) seemed to be retreading the same ground time and time again.

Who isn't behind Andrew.
    Gisela?

Although I don't generally read these books, I wouldn't generally read the old Target books these days either. The NSAs (New Series Adventures!!!) capture the same pre-teen market. I'm sure kids growing up now will look back on these books with fondness.

And they're still delightfully chunky little hardbacks
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I don't think dumbed down is the right term really. I imagine they just have a different target audience these days. The books are aimed at the teen market rather than the adult market, and the style, content and stories will by necessity be different.
    I see them as having a broad market, but written to be accessible to the upper end of the Jacqueline Wilson market; perhaps I'm splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I welcome more Who fiction, especially if it's got past Doctors in it, but I'm wary of the news. I don't think there's going to be sales that will set the world alight and if it does happen I won't be banking on it being for very long. And they're not just going to pick up where they left off- I for one don't imagine we'll see the resumption of the EDAs with the set of companions they'd created: there's too much history there for the general public to have to buy into out of the blue.
    I'm pretty much in agreement. I'd read them, but I wonder whether a more general younger audience will read them? If they've been buying the DVDs and they, the NDAs and/or TDAs have whetted their interest, well then! Having said that, there's 26 years of backstory without the NAs, PDAs, EDAs and MAs as well, out of print as they are! I'd love them to work though; they ran for a decade in one form or another, so there's mileage in the idea as long as they're well-written and well advertised and as long as the market's still there.

This month's DWM announces that PDAs will return - in 2013, starting with a Third Doctor vs Master tale Harvest of Time.

Given that it'll be anniversary year, do we think we might get one novel per Doctor, culmintaing in a lovely box set ? Or would the PDAs return be commercially viable for a lot longer than that ?
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    This month's DWM announces that PDAs will return - in 2013, starting with a Third Doctor vs Master tale Harvest of Time.

Given that it'll be anniversary year, do we think we might get one novel per Doctor, culmintaing in a lovely box set ? Or would the PDAs return be commercially viable for a lot longer than that ?

what they don't tell you is these books are hard cover and will cost £16.99p, - I was really delighted to read about this in DWM, today but I've just been into the DWO, site and they had a littkle bit more info and the £16.99p price has put a dampner on things I thought this was going to be a release schedual the same as the old PDA, run but at these prices I can't see them doing very many books as people simply are not going to pay that kind of money. IMO, it's just a cynical way by the BBC, of trying to cash in on the 50th anniversary

The £16.99 hardbook is a presitgious release. Not cynical at all I think, rather a mark that they think Doctor Who is worth making that extra bit of effort for too.

These are also big name authors writing the novels too, further proof to me that these aren't cynical cash ins.

That may be so Si, but at £16.99 I reckon we should either use the library or wait for the paperback. Also they might be rubbish.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

I suspect you'll probably be able to get them for around £8-10 online or discouted in the shops, and that there will be paperback versions released a few months later anyway, so it may not be so bad in the long run. The Terraphiles book is now out in paperback after all.

I hope so; although I managed to get the first 6 11th Doctor books in paperback from The Works discount store, I can't seem to find anywhere where you can order any of the others in paperback.

The hardbacks also suggest that we (a) won't get maybe more than one every couple of months and (b) won't see the paperback versions until around six months later
    Bazinga !

Look, guys, can you tell me one thing please?
    Are you talking about Public Displays of Affection - or Personal Digital Assistants?

Thanks
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge