Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rab C Nesbitt returns to BBC2

Rab C Nesbitt makes BBC comeback

Comic character Rab C Nesbitt, played by Gregor Fisher, is to return to the BBC for the first time in a decade for a one-off 45-minute special. Viewers will find out what has been happening to the string-vested, Glaswegian armchair philosopher and if he is still a hellraiser. Elaine C Smith also returns as Rabs' long-suffering wife Mary.

The original award-winning series, by Ian Pattison, appeared in the late 1980s and ran for eight series. The special is again written by Pattison and will be shown later this year.

The return of Rab C Nesbitt is just one of a number of new comedy commissions for BBC Two. Another is In My Country, which is written by Simon Nye - whose other works include Men Behaving Badly - with additional material by comedian Omid Djalili. The show is described as Men Behaving Badly meets Rising Damp and is set in a run-down guest house in north London. Djalili also plays Navid, an Iranian immigrant down on his luck and a permanent resident at the guest house.

Stand-up comic Stephen K Amos plays Johnny, a Nigerian immigrant newly arrived in Britain. Other guest house residents include an ex-Thai bride, and her eight-year-old son, an immigrant from Kosovo and half-a-dozen Polish builders. In My Country will consist of six 30-minute episodes and will be shown in 2009.

Comedy actress Miranda Hart writes and stars in her first solo television series, Miranda Hart's Joke Shop. It follows the trials and tribulations of a young woman who wants desperately to be "one of the crowd" but just cannot manage to fit in. She has never managed to flirt successfully, has agoraphobic tendencies and does not know how to behave socially. Miranda Hart's Joke Shop will also be shown in 2009.
    Ralph Mitchell, yesterday

That's one big pile of crap to avoid next year then.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Ralph Mitchell, yesterday
    Thats slander! I don't own a string vest!

WhiteCrow Guest

Will the transexual barmaid be returning though?

Pip Madeley Guest

I don't know, have they asked you?

Hooray! I'll tell you thishhh sonny, I'll tell ya thish, I liked Rab muchly back in the day.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I used to like watching the old series. It's how I imagine the area that James & Ralph live.

Weegieville is more Ralph's territory, isn't it? Had to take a bus through Govan on the way to Collectormania yesterday. It was hairy scary stuff!

I've been working my way through the Rab C DVDs for the past two months (shame the 1994 Christmas Special 'More' isn't on there! ) and I'm about to start the final series. Great spotting half the River City/Still Game/Chewin' The Fat/Taggart/High Road cast in early appearances.