View Poll Results: Would Planet of the Spiders have worked better as a seven-parter?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 16.67%
  • No

10 83.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pip Madeley Guest

Kaybee speaks the truth, Doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Well, someone wrote a short story about that where Pertwee was trying to decipher a piece of music he heard just before Monster of Peladon. Or something. It's in one of BF's Short trips books, and it was really rather good.

Si xx
    That story also states that from Sarah and the Brigadier's point of view, the Doctor was only missing for three weeks, but for the Doctor himself, it was ten agonizing years slowly dying of radiation poisoning.

On the subject of the 3rd regeneration, try watching this video.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

It should have been EIGHT episodes to honour the QUEEN OF THE EIGHT LEGS!!!

Is that FEAR I can feel in your mind? You are not accustomed to being FRIGHTENED!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd be frightened if there were 8 episodes of Planet of the Spiders!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I voted no. There's that vastly over padded chase sequence most of which is pretty unecessary and a lot of which was repeated in the reprise of the following episode. Most of that could go then leaving plenty of room to expand the last part, if indeed you think the last part is rushed. Which I don't.
    Hardly rushed, the last episode! There was plenty of time to shove stuff that they didn't have time for in part 5. And yes, part 2 could've been shorter, the chase schene lasts a fair part of the episode, and for what? For Lupton to vanish at the end, when he could've vanished any time after the chase started. Pointless!

no - most of pertwies era suffered badly from the 6 parters so 7 absoloutly not.

Strangely this has made me want to watch Planet of the Spiders again!

But will you watch episode 3 twice? More importantly, would you notice if you did?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    On the subject of the 3rd regeneration, try watching this video.
    Good grief - why does every "wannabe YouTube superstar in the Doctor Who world" seem to feel the need to rescore classic Who scenes with their copy of Murray Gold's soundtrack?

As to Spiders, the damn thing's long enough as it is. Before you add more episodes, why not cut out guff like giving Pertwee a whole episode to have a last hurrah with his cars?

It would be interesting to see the 105-minute repeat version to see if it's any better with 2 episodes cut out...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

The Gold music doesn't work at all with that scene. It's not "really powerful" as one of the replies to the video said, it just feels over the top and wrong.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Like Mr. Jeffries, I can't find much fault with any of the Pertwee's. We have our faves, and we know which are the most popular. I think Spiders is alright as it is, and speaking as one who remembers it's original showing it had enough of an impact as a six parter and was a great swansong for our hero. I for one was sad to see Pertwee go and thought the show would never be the same again.

I can vouch for the fact that the omnibus shown the day before Robot began was effective - it gave me my first clear memories of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Perhaps Part 7 could have been a 25 minute lecture to Sarah and the Brigadier. 'Now don't forget, war is bad... don't run with scissors... purple and green don't mix... as my old mentor told me... don't walk under ladders...'
    "Yer shit!"