Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

If it were suggesting a spot of gainful employment for The Lads, I'd be just as interested as Jason, nudge nudge, wink wink...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Jon, as we may never see your e-mail in print, is there any chance you could post it here? I'd like to know what you said.
    Sure, here you go.

Wow. I can only assume some childhood trauma involving a Bunsen burner lies at the heart of Simon Smith's letter (DWMail386) claiming science and enjoyment are mutually exclusive. Strangely I could find any mention that Jason Thompson didn't enjoy Doctor Who, merely that he would like the same attention to detail that we read is regularly spent on period accuracy, design consistency and character development. Presumably Mr Smith would be just as happy for the Doctor to meet Albert Shakespeare, or get schoolboys to use AK47s against scarecrows, with no explamation so long as he enjoyed it. Maybe we should scrap all scientific basis for the stories and get our heroes to use vague mystical powers to solve their problems (Oh hang on I'd forgotten Family of Blood and The Parting of the Ways ).
    Star Trek is dull because its characters and settings are dull, not because of the science. Doctor Who can be just as much fun as it is now, even if someone occasionally picks up a GCSE textbook to check what they write makes sense. Above all, lets not fall into the trap of assuming that criticism of any kind will somehow cause the programme we love to come crashing to the ground it never has before.

Jon Masters
    Fan and science teacher
    I'm sure the shot about FOB and TPOTW will mean it doesn't get published.
    Bazinga !

And also the fact that you put could instead of couldn't

I've always found it strange how a series with a scientist as the hero, who largely manages to win through because of his scientific knowledge, seems to inspire such a large number of its followers to have such disdain for scientific accuracy.

... mind you, he is turning more and more into a mystic Jesus type figure these days.

There's now a DWM Facebook site (as mentioned in the thread started by Peter Anghelides over on OG the other day).

That's where the cover for DWM 387 first appeared yesterday:

Peter Ware is the new Assistant Editor.

100 CDS to be won? I might have to enter that one!

Is Peter Ware the Peter in the Time Team? And is he related to Derek? We must know.

I think it's the same Peter. It would be an enomous coincidence if he wasn't... I thought he was a dentist. Maybe the dentistry business isn't going too well these days.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm sure the shot about FOB and TPOTW will mean it doesn't get published.
    Yes, that's what I thought when I read it!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I think it's the same Peter. It would be an enomous coincidence if he wasn't... I thought he was a dentist. Maybe the dentistry business isn't going too well these days.
    Dentists are always looking down in the mouth...

If that's not the pun that gets me banned from PS...

It's not as good as the cover to Startburst with Sarah Jane's wizened old fizzgog starting out at us.

She has the look of one who has been taken from behind in that pic.

Classic camping up there!

Si Hart should sue.

Came this morning, and Jon's letter is in there.

Also, I see PS' Joe Lidster has been helping out this month, to aid the transition from Clay to Tom I suppose (a bit like bringing in the Master to aid the transition from Tom to Peter... )

We shall see if this month's issue actually arrives on time...

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Came this morning, and Jon's letter is in there.

Also, I see PS' Joe Lidster has been helping out this month, to aid the transition from Clay to Tom I suppose (a bit like bringing in the Master to aid the transition from Tom to Peter... )
    With Clay gasping "You're utterly mad!" at Joe, before tussling with him high up in the sky, and clinging onto a cable while clips of his time as DWM editor flash before his eyes, with the rest of the Time Team watching in shock?

Pip Madeley Guest

Andrew, did the shot about FOB and TPOTW get in?

Gimpish letters from PS members are really destroying the mag for me. I can read enough of that guff online. It'll be a two page effort from tranny next!

They can't be getting many letters these days if they're printing any old tat. Maybe I should send something in.

Pip Madeley Guest

They've not got the barrel scraper out yet, there.

Is there a Time Team covering Colin's first two stories in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    Is there a Time Team covering Colin's first two stories in there?
    not in this issue.

Yep!

No Time Team this month - I think last month it said something like 'a new-look Time Team will be back later in the year' didn't it? Whether that means a different format for the column, or actually a revised line-up of people, I don't know.

Actually I'm quite enjoying this issue. Maybe it's having a day off work, or maybe it's the high 'old series' content - there's pieces on the DVD releases in general, a piece on the KTT set, a FofF on The Stones of Blood. Production Notes is nice too, and the BF piece looks set to be a good read.

Oh, and apparently (did we know this before?) a Torchwood season 1 boxset is due out on 19th November.

This is the best issue for ages and ages! A lovely mix of old and new, and a really good read, not bogged down with too much behind the scenes stuff on the show. There was loads of intersting stuff, especially on BF and the DVD range. I'm really, really looking forward to next week's key to Time set now, as it sounds awesome from the preview.

Si xx

We're wondering if this could be the first DVD set that arrives before we've properly seen the covers. And six of them to boot!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post

Described as "provocative" as well!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We're wondering if this could be the first DVD set that arrives before we've properly seen the covers. And six of them to boot!

Si.
    You can pretty much see what's on each one here:

Not in great detail though, that's what I meant.

Si.