Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Doctor Whoah has crossed the line. I don't mind it being awful, we put up with Leighton Noyes' Doctor Oho for long enough, but this month it was inappropriately crude and nasty.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    That's probably because only Garry Bushell, Ally Ross, Kevin O'Sullivan and about 10-15% of Who fandom thought The Runaway Bride was shite. Circulation will plummet if the mag panders to minority groups.
    I've yet to find anyone outside of fandom that thought it was good.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

How many have you asked? All my family seemed to like it. Above all, lots of people must have watched it because the ratings were good. If they'd all not enjoyed it and switched off, the figures would be plumetted half-way through, which they didn't.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    How many have you asked?
    Everyone who enjoyed the previous year's. About 10-15 people. If you believe ratings & figures, then good for you. How many people do you know who actually walk out of a cinema if they're seeing a cr*p movie? They stay until the end to see if it gets any better.
    Last edited by Perry Vale; 2nd Feb 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

You don't pay to watch a TV show though, do you? And neither does switching it off involve getting up in the middle of a quiet arena of people and disturbing everyone. That's a naff comparison, Steve.

Si.

My Dad wasn't that keen. First thing he said to me about it was "Wasn't that good really, was it?" and he usually likes the new series.

But of course, it's like anything. Some people like it, some don't, same as always.

If you say so, Si. How many parents do you know who'd switch off Doctor Who if their child was watching it. On christmas day? There'd be tantrums from hell, and you know it. I watched DW from the age of 4 up until about 19 with my parents complaining how "naff" it was, but they'd never switch it over because *I* was enjoying it. Until they put something better on the other side in Coronation Street, that is.

But doesn't the fact that it can't be switched off because it's being enjoyed rather negate your argument? You never said you were talking about adults only!

Me, I thought it was pap, but I bet many people enjoyed it, mostly kids probably.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But doesn't the fact that it can't be switched off because it's being enjoyed rather negate your argument?
    I don't see how. I wasn't arguing that it wasn't enjoyed, just disputing how many people did enjoy it.

You never said you were talking about adults only!
    Well no, but it's equally true the other way. It's "family viewing", so if 1 person in the "family" really wants to watch it, I'd say it's unlikely anyone is going to turn over.

I thought it was very average too but my family all loved it, my Dad was moved to comment that it was "much better than the old stuff".

Amazing !a non TENNANT /ROSE / NEW SERIES cover again - at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I've yet to find anyone outside of fandom that thought it was good.
    You surprise me!
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 2nd Feb 2007 at 6:39 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

My dad kindly picked it up for me whilst he was out today, so I'll be giving it a read in bed tonight. The design of the whole mag is superb, it's light years away from how it used to look... it's just gorgeous, particularly the Scratchman illustrations...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    ... it's just gorgeous, particularly the Scratchman illustrations...
    This is true, they should release the movie poster as a limited edition print or something. The artist caught the style of that period perfectly, it's making all nostagic now.

I'd like to see them perhaps print the full script of Scratchman, and see for myself how it went, rather than rely on a synopsis.

I hope they do a similar article on The Dark Dimension. Maybe they could use bits from that Making of Book that never came out in the 90s. DWM have always been good at these things, remember the Season 27 article and the "Doctor Who at the Movies" thing with various fake posters and wot not.

my point re: the Runaway review...

basically, they highlight all the good bits, praising it. They pass a LITTLE bit of criticism, yet seem to ignore all the gaping plot holes in it.

because RTD could never be wrong, obviously

(don't get me wrong... I'd say that The Runaway Bride was his first slip-up in two seasons)

Ant x

P.S. Si - weren't you the person who criticised it quite vehemently at the time, saying that the entire plot was explained in about 30 seconds of dialogue?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Bad plots don't always mean something isn't enjoyable or worth celebrating..."Evil of the Daleks", "Earthshock" and "Pyramids of Mars" all have wonky storylines but are very good all the same.

One thing I don't like in the current DWM...at the end of the letters page, there's two or three letters that complain about the lack of internet related footage on the Series 2 DVD boxed set. A fairly valid complaint I'd have thought yet dismissed with a casual "everyone like a moan don't they?" reply.

Bit silly thought I.

Quite. The lack of special features is what put me off buying the series 2 box set. I taped the episodes when they were shown, since I'd probably want to watch them again before the box set came out, but after viewing the list of special features I just wasn't impressed enough with them to want to buy the set when i already had the episodes in watchable format. I'll wait until I see it in a sale somewhere.

And the outtakes are on YouTube anyway.

I enjoyed the Image of the Fendahl feature - partly because I would say the photos made it look really good (if you were a new fan looking at them) and also because the piece didn't start picking holes in the monster costume. I've often heard it criticised, but I always think the Fendahl is a very striking and effective creation, and certainly looks stonking in the photos used. Plus I enjoyed the 'Hartman' theorising too, lovely!

I don't see what's wrong with the Fendahleen that makes everyone complain about them. (Alright, present company excepted then.) I'd reccomend the story anyway.

Oh, and did you notice btw, in the group photo at the end, Louise is looking nervously at Tom, and Denis Lill's looking "curiously" down her cleavage. Dirty Den!

We want Billy on the cover again!

Who, Hartnell?

Who else?

P.S. Si - weren't you the person who criticised it quite vehemently at the time, saying that the entire plot was explained in about 30 seconds of dialogue?
    Absolutely, the story/plot was pants! As I said at the top of this page, it was pap. However that doesn't make it unpopular - everyone else (non fans) seemed to love it.

Back on DWM, I think I've finished the last issue bar the "Fendahl" article. It was okay, but felt like a bit of a hollow read. The double page on "Matrix Data Bank", self-indulgent comedy business answering just TWO minor questions about new series continuity, was awful. Especially since the Time Team was absent.

And what's going on with the Torchwood coverage? Either give it it's own magazine or give it the respect it deserves! The review of the first Torchwood DVD got slightly more page-space than the review of the Doctor Who bubblebath in the same issue!

Si.