Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The DWM Thread (Issues 377-415)

Might as well start a DWM thread... as the new issue is out this week and they've finally released some info.

Nice cover as well:

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2006/1...-magazine-377/

Doctor Who Magazine #377 is on sale from Thursday 7th December 2006.

Get set for Christmas with the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine!

This issue, Russell T Davies previews The Runaway Bride:

The Christmas Doctor cant be bogged down in angst, says Russell, cos thatd hardly make for an interesting adventure on Christmas Day. Thats why Donna arrived as she did, at the end of Doomsday, suddenly, so the Doctor doesnt even have time to mourn. Gosh, youd think Id planned it!

Also this issue, theres an in-depth interview with writer Gareth Roberts about his new episode featuring Shakespeare; a preview of The Sarah Jane Adventures Christmas Special; Jonathan Morris explains why Doctor Who is the funniest programme in the history of the universe; the results of the 2006 Season Survey; a review of the past year in the Doctor Who universe; a preview of the new Doctor Who radio series for BBC7; a rifle through the JNT archive; the Watchers Christmas Quiz; Sorvad presents a festive edition of Space-Time Telegraph; a round-up of stocking fillers in Under The Tree; and the Time Team are shocked by Earthshock! Phew!

Not forgetting, of course, Rose Tylers comic strip swansong in The Green-Eyed Monster, and all your favourite regular features. Christmas has just come early.
    Large cover pic on OG News Page:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/picview....&id=DWM377.jpg

They're late with the preview/press release this month due to the embargo on pics from 'The Runaway Bride', or something!?

RTD IS TOO SMUG!!!

Edited to add: I've just been reading Clay's "very old friend popping up for an excellent three-parter comic strip in January" post over on OG!!
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 25th Jan 2007 at 7:12 PM.

That photo is on the front cover of TV Zone - I can just imagine them hastily taking a copy of DWM in for scanning
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Aside from the Season Survey, my favourite part of this issue is the two page look at what was in the JNT collection of stuff from his time n the show. There seems to be so much interesting and unique stuff on the way that will be part of the forthcoming 80s (and some stuff from the late 70s) DVDs... Shame he wiped lots of 71 edits of 80s stories with Coronation Street though!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Christmas Doctor cant be bogged down in angst, says Russell, cos thatd hardly make for an interesting adventure on Christmas Day. Thats why Donna arrived as she did, at the end of Doomsday, suddenly, so the Doctor doesnt even have time to mourn. Gosh, youd think Id planned it!
    Yes Russell, you'd originally planned if for mid-way through S2....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

transvamp Guest

WH Smith don't have it today, or at least not my local branch. I looked.
    Last edited by transvamp; 6th Dec 2006 at 2:33 PM.

It's not out until tomorrow.

I notice a certain Simon Hart of Bracknell mentioned in the survey results!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    It's not out until tomorrow.

I notice a certain Simon Hart of Bracknell mentioned in the survey results!
    His comments will destroy the issue for me. I'll need to rip that page out.

Page? Pages more like!

Si xx

my copy arrived today have only had a quick skim through it but i like the cover..

The return of the Space Time Telegraph has made my year. Lovin the parrallell universe version of Doctor Who Adventures from 1964 (with "free Robespierre mask and Barbara sticker"!), the Nyssa CGI cartoon series, and the latest news "Malus come"!

Plus:

Gallifrey Safe
    TV'S DOCTOR WHO sighed with relief today when it was confirmed that Gallifrey had not in fact been destroyed in the time war. The confusion arose when he heard that a society comprised of people totally out of touch with the universe, hunched mumbling over screens conducting futile debates of no concern to anybody else had been vaporised by the Daleks. This was, in fact, internet forum Outpost Gallifrey.
    Last edited by Matthew T; 6th Dec 2006 at 6:18 PM.

for the many appearances of Mr Hart of Bracknell!

Oh! And also for the first real info on the JN-T archive material - the Kamelion clip from "The Awakening" DOES exist, and judging by the pic, there's some behind-the-scenes footage of Peter Grimwade directing "Earthshock".

Mine arrived today, and I've managed a quick glance through tonight. It looks a good issue overall, with another article marrying the original and new series, the welcome return of the Space-Time Telegraph (liked the digs at Robin Hood and OG!) and the tradtional Watcher's Christmas Quiz, six classic episodes covered (and praised by the looks of it) in The Time Team, TV previews to whet the appetite and Mr Pixley looking back at the year, it's a nice mixture of stuff which gets away from the dull interviews. Even the comic strip goes back to a forrmerly used artist, and it's encouraging to see the return of Martin Geraghty next issue...

Oh, and big congrats to Mr Hart getting his second ever mention in DWM (I think I'm right in saying that!) and it's for the same thing as his first mention, but several years on!

It is my second ever appearance in the magazine, and my second appearnace commenting in the Season Survey. I'm consistent if nothing else Jonno!

Si xx

Best comic strip since The Flood. I really hope this marks an improvement in their quality and that we never get another story like 'The Betrothal of Sontar' ever again!

Late News: Malus Come.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yes indeed, I noticed your presence in the season survey, Si. Obviously you had a great deal to say.

Did anyone spot my appearance in the survey, for the second year running?

Yes I did thanks to Si pointing it out in another thread. It amused me a bit because you were commenting on an aspect of The Impossible planet, the episode you're notorious for!

Notorious for The Impossible Planet? Now why would that be...?

Because you think the story's too wide!

I'm a bit worried about the humour article - the Gilliamesque artwork suggests we're in for another old series bashing, I hope I'm wrong.

Got it at last. I'll read through it later tonight.

I see they're bringing back "Out of the TARDIS" next issue - I used to rather like that, so hurrah!

I'm back to reading it like a randomiser this month, so so far I've done the merchandise round-ups (David J Howe's writing is a bit plummy, but it's nice to see the new figures so applauded), the SJS preview (I'm avoiding the Runaway Bride preview, natch) and the Gareth Roberts interview which was very good, and not at all spoilery. His last comment was very right I think, and he also made me laugh with his "Tosh!" routine.

Now I've moved onto the Christmas Quiz...

Default DWM Issue 378

Some folk have already picked up early copies of Issue 378 from their local Forbidden Planet. Info is also up on my favourite site:

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2006/1...-378/#more-111

This issue, the magazine celebrates the “Best Christmas Ever” for Doctor Who, with a massive 30-page feature on the making of The Runaway Bride, the series finale of Torchwood, and the first feature-length episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. Packed with new photographs, design drawings, and including exclusive interviews with David Tennant, John Barrowman, Elisabeth Sladen, Russell T Davies, and many more, this is one feature not to be missed!

Also this issue, a new comic strip adventure begins as the Doctor is reunited with a dear friend in the first part of The Warkeeper’s Crown; Captain Jack, alias actor John Barrowman, faces the terror of the TARDIS tin; the Time Team watch Time-Flight and Arc of Infinity in their quest to see every Doctor Who story in order; and an exlcusive preview of the New Begnnings DVD box set, featuring The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva.

Plus! Exclusive news about the adventures in store for the Doctor and Martha in the new series, including the return of the Daleks, new guest cast members, and four new episode titles revealed!
    I don't like the new episode titles or the SJA/Torchwood spoilers!

Edited to add: Can this thread be renamed?
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 30th Dec 2006 at 12:18 AM.

Edited to add: Can this thread be renamed?
    I now baptise this thread Ethel Arthur Bones.

It's also in Blackwells in Friar Street, Reading, in case any of you from the surrounding area happen to be in Reading and feel like picking up a copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    I now baptise this thread Ethel Arthur Bones.

That name is too camp and wide.