Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Ah cheers Wayne - oh, and have a nice time away yourself this week!

Wayne Guest

Ta.
    Where are you up to with your ST:TNG then Jonno?

I know you're not here, but I'll answer you anyway! Next up I need to do the S3 extras and then resume where I left S4 which was only about 5-6 episodes in. Buffy S7 is really hotting up right now though (enter the Ubervamp!) so that will take priority.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Buffy S7 is really hotting up right now though (enter the Ubervamp!) so that will take priority.
    I enjoyed Buffy, but I have to say it feels like a "one shot wonder", I can't imagine rewatching many of the episodes, and I guess it's already feeling dated. Most of the episodes would have been streamlined if the Scooby Gang had been issued with mobiles.

I found the last season kind of unsatisfying cos it felt too much like they were grooming a "Some Other Vampire Slayer" spin off, which thankfully never happened, although the First was kind of a good idea.

I watched "The Defector" and "The Hunted" today in my journey through Series 3. "The Defector" is saved by some good footage of the Romulan Bird of Prey facing off the Enterprise as they are tricked into entering the neutral zone. I enjoyed guessing who was telling the truth, and as often has happened in this season, the space action is offset by a quite knotty moral dilemma. It was quite a twist that the Romulan "spy" himself was being tricked, the viewer being thrown off the scent by the scene where he is fingering what looks like a microphone device, but turns out to be a suicide pill (which he uses later). I really like the hostile relationship between the Federation and the Romulans, and the way they both distrust each other. Not a classic episode, but certainly an enjoyable one.

In "The Hunted", A super soldier is captured by the Enterprise - but even they can't hold him. A good fun episode, and nice to see bits of the ship we don't normally see. But a bit laughable how this bloke managed to evade the whole of the Enterprise crew and escape the ship! Even though they apparently have security teams everywhere, Worf still ended up running between decks after him. Why not just beam Worf to wherever he was, along with twenty heavily armoured blokes? It was still quite amusing to see Picard leave the planet to sort themselves out at the end though.

A bit too light on Whoopee and Wesley action for me, but an exciting episode.

Si.

"The High Ground" today - a rather grim and depressing tale of terrorists capturing Doctor Crusher. While this season has been somewhat more "real" than the last, this was just a little too unpleasant - were we supposed to sympathise with the lead terrorist because he was good at sketching? It was all a bit too down n dirty. I did cheer when Picard wrestled him on the bridge though. Go, Jean Luc!

"Deja Q" was another middling episode. There's something I don't like about Q. His fantasy nature somehow belittles the whole premise of the show. What's the point in Picard and co trying to displace an asteroid if Q can click his fingers and do it by magic? The brass band appearing on the bridge also made the whole show feel a bit silly. That said, Q adapting to becoming human was quite interesting; certainly more interesting than the two people with silly faces complaining calmly every ten minutes that their planet was about to be destroyed.

Two average episodes today!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I did cheer when Picard wrestled him on the bridge though. Go, Jean Luc!
    Bit of a shame it's very obvious it's not Patrick Stewart jumping on the terrorist
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

He's a Shakespearean actor! You can't expect him to get his tunic dirty.

Si.

"A Matter Of Perspective"

It's "The Trial of a Timelord"! Crossed with Part 6 of "The Keys Of Marinus". Captain Riker is accused of a murder and the holodeck offers various accounts of what happened. It's a good idea, although the murder itself is a bit dull, and it's resolution a mite contrived. It seems a beam on the planet bounced off something else and shot the bloke. Or something. And why the dead bloke's wife genuinely believes that Riker tried to rape her when he didn't is never explained. Still, good to see Picard's efforts to defend his number 1.

"The Offspring".

This was a good episode, as Data creates a "child" Android which the greedy old Federation want to get their mits on. The various stages of Loll "growing up" were nicely handled, and hooray for that rare beast - humour in Star Trek! I laughed outloud when the ball bounced off Loll and when she grabbed Riker in a clinch. The ending was a little odd though - the Star Fleet Admiral seemed to instantly change his mind about Loll, without much cause. It would have been better if he'd observed some unique moment of affection. Also it was annoying, rather than heartbreaking, when the Android croaked; it'd have been better if "she" had gone off to Starfleet instead.

Si.

I've bought a book called "The Nitpickers Guide For Next Generation Trekkers". There's no hope for me now!

Si.

You should start to worry when you end up buying all 4 books in the series

It's an oddly humour free and substanceless book for one I've heard so much about - there's a plot synopsis, a single line of "good dialogue" and a list of quite dry bloopers (e.g "Data touches the panel on the left when The Star Trek Technical Manual says he should have touched the one on the right" etc.). No story appraisal, and none of the silly hats or wit that livens up the similar Doctor Who books.

Can anyone tell me, is there a Star Trek book closer to The Completely Useless Encyclopedia or The Discontinuity Guide? I want something a bit critical and a bit funny.

Si.

I want something a bit critical and a bit funny.

Si.
    The Satanic Verses?

It's an oddly humour free and substanceless book for one I've heard so much about - there's a plot synopsis, a single line of "good dialogue" and a list of quite dry bloopers (e.g "Data touches the panel on the left when The Star Trek Technical Manual says he should have touched the one on the right" etc.). No story appraisal, and none of the silly hats or wit that livens up the similar Doctor Who books.

Can anyone tell me, is there a Star Trek book closer to The Completely Useless Encyclopedia or The Discontinuity Guide? I want something a bit critical and a bit funny.

Si.
    Well, for a book which is there to pick the flaws and nits it does the job well I think the problem is that a lot more hardcore Trek fans seem to be more serious about the subject than Doctor Who fans, so it rubs off on the books. The author is a nice guy however - I've communicated with him by e-mail, and helped moderate at the website the Nitpickers Guides off-shot onto.

Oddly enough there is a Completely Useless Star Trek Encyclopaedia by the same guys who did the Who one, but I should think it's long out of print. However, I have a second copy of it in the UK - all it needs is my brother to find it out! As to Discontinuity Guide-esque book, I remember there was a 'New Trek Programme Guide', which covered all of TNG and the first few seasons of DS9 - again this is probably long out of print as well.

WhiteCrow Guest

Si we can't have been reading the same Nitpickers Guide. The ones I've read are all works of genius, written with a good sense of humour, trying to not go too much into technical issues.

Mind you that was on their first release. I do know us Trek fans have a reputation for picking up on details, so maybe the inmates have taken over the asylum in later editions.

"The High Ground" today - a rather grim and depressing tale of terrorists capturing Doctor Crusher. While this season has been somewhat more "real" than the last, this was just a little too unpleasant - were we supposed to sympathise with the lead terrorist because he was good at sketching? It was all a bit too down n dirty. I did cheer when Picard wrestled him on the bridge though. Go, Jean Luc!
    Wasn't this the episode banned by the BBC? I think it was eventually shown on Sky, but I remember buying the video to see what all the fuss was about, and feeling hugely underwhelmed by it. A major disappointment. A rather controversial storyline perhaps, but it's just too bad that it was soooo dull...

I'm glad you enjoyed The Offspring, though. It was an enjoyable episode, although not quite up there with the highlights of the season.

I think, time permitting, I'll revisit S2 soon. Wayne's comments about those great episodes such as 'The Royale' have put me in the mood to check out the best of that season, once again. But overall, I still think S2 is the poorest of TNG's 7 seasons, despite some really excellent episodes being scatteredthrough it.

"Deja Q" was another middling episode. There's something I don't like about Q. His fantasy nature somehow belittles the whole premise of the show. What's the point in Picard and co trying to displace an asteroid if Q can click his fingers and do it by magic?
    Surely the whole point of the episode is that he can't click his fingers and fix the moon's orbit for most of it, and by now it is quite clear that even if he could there's no guarantee he would (He was a threat to the whole of humanity the first time we saw him, and last time he placed the Enterprise in mortal danger, indirectly caused the deaths of 18 crewmen, and refused to help unless Picard conceded his point about how inadequate humans are), so Picard and co have no choice but to make every effort to move the asteroid themselves.

An interesting part of this episode for me was Guinan's reaction to Q, spitting bile at him and even callously and viciously stabbing him with a fork. It's nice to see her dark side, gives her a bit more depth.

The scientist in me was pleased by the early inclusion and dismissal of efforts to blow the asteroid up to save the planet (even assuming Enterprise has enough firepower to destroy an entire asteroid), as Data correctly points out that there is still the same mass of asteroid heading for impact, only spread over a wider area.

Yes, the band is a bit silly, but what's wrong with a bit of silliness now and again? It was capped by Q's rather touching gift of laughter to Data though.

'Geordi thinks he is in command here, and he is correct.'

Surely the whole point of the episode is that he can't click his fingers and fix the moon's orbit for most of it, and by now it is quite clear that even if he could there's no guarantee he would
    And yet as soon as he appeared, it was obvious that there was now a being involved that could solve the problem with a mere thought, so the threat diminished. Sure enough, this is exactly what eventually happened. I agree the merit in this episode was Q's powerlessness, but as a concept, whether temporarily disabled or not, Q always makes literal nonsense of the series. I'm surprised you approve of him, as in a very scientific series he jarringly stands out as effectively a magic wand.

Meanwhile...

"Yesterday's Enterprise".

A very interesting episode. It took me a while to work out that time had 'switched' track as this wasn't very clear from the pre-credits (I thought from the direction that the ship emerging from the time rift was the alternate reality Enterprise) but once I got it this was a fascinating concept for an episode. The star was Guinan, knowing something was wrong but not being able to explain what, and the "Enterprise at war" was a very realistic set up. All in all, probably as fun as people say. It seems odd that Yar surviving was a result of history becoming more dangerous though.

Just one question - where was Troi in the alternative dimension?

Si.

Just one question - where was Troi in the alternative dimension?
    Well they were at war - I should think if Troi was on the Enterprise (I'm not convinced she would be needed given the circumstances), she'd be down in her office counselling rather than sitting on the bridge telling Picard she senses 'great hostility' from the Klingons

And yet as soon as he appeared, it was obvious that there was now a being involved that could solve the problem with a mere thought, so the threat diminished.
    As with many episodes of Star Trek, in all its incarnations, however, the threat is merely a backdrop. If the threat of the asteroidal impact was the focus we'd have an away team on the planet and far more than two government officials on the viewscreen. The point was Q, not the asteroid.

Q always makes literal nonsense of the series. I'm surprised you approve of him, as in a very scientific series he jarringly stands out as effectively a magic wand.
    Can I try once more to make this clear? I do not disapprove of fantasy concepts or characters. I do not disapprove of technobabble like warp drive and subspace. My lengthy diatribes on science in any show have been when the writers try to put real science in and cock it up. Q is a great character. He is by turns fun and dangerous, as capable of giving a generous gift as he is of wiping out humanity, and he is superbly protrayed by John De Lancie.

Did you find his presence diminsihing the threat of the Borg in Q Who, or was he not threatening enough in Encounter at Farpoint?

Based on your comments so far, I suspect you will not enjoy the episode QPid, though personally I think it is great fun. I suggest you give Q a chance though. Tapestry is an excellent Q episode.

Did you find his presence diminsihing the threat of the Borg in Q Who, or was he not threatening enough in Encounter at Farpoint?
    Interestingly, no I didn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe because Q was only a narrator of that episode, and it seemed more clear he was never going to act. Or because the Borg were just really cool. I think if he'd have been "in" the action on the Borg ship, I think it would have done, because I get the impression Q secretely has a fondness for the Enterprise crew (or at least enjoys tormenting them) so would not let them die.

I started my run with Season 2, simply because on remembering the original BBC2 run I recalled a really, really dull episode called "Encounter At Far Point" and couldn't sit through it again. So I've not seen that lately.

Si.

Interestingly, no I didn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe because Q was only a narrator of that episode, and it seemed more clear he was never going to act. Or because the Borg were just really cool. I think if he'd have been "in" the action on the Borg ship, I think it would have done, because I get the impression Q secretely has a fondness for the Enterprise crew (or at least enjoys tormenting them) so would not let them die.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, I would point out that the Enterprise only survived thanks to Q's intervention once Picard admitted that they were out of their depth and needed his help. One could argue that once it became clear that the Borg were going to get them and none of their weapons were having any effect you knew straight away that the only way out was the snap of Q's fingers.

I started my run with Season 2, simply because on remembering the original BBC2 run I recalled a really, really dull episode called "Encounter At Far Point" and couldn't sit through it again. So I've not seen that lately.
    Possibly worth revisiting it. Encounter At Farpoint was the pilot episode! It wasn't the most exciting, by any means, and definitely gave the impression of having been expanded to fill a two-hour time-slot. It has lost of character scenes that don't advance the plot and are all-too-clearly signposted as 'here's where we explain the main characters' moments (including one utterly cringeworthy outburst from Tasha Yar during an otherwise excellent scene). It also devotes a lot of time to the saucer separation manoeuvre and reconnection (the saucer separation was supposed to happen quite frequently, but the expense of shooting new footage of the separated ship sections and erecting the battle bridge set was apparently found to be prohibitively expensive for regular use, so it ended up only happpening four times in the entire run including Generations). Still, as the episode where we meet all the main characters it's worth a look.

I'll do it eventually, but as I soar through Next Gen and archive random episodes of "Deep Space Nine" recorded off Bravo, I'm feeling as though the boat has now left shore and it's too late to go back. I'll eventually revisit it once I've done Next Gen and DS9. And Voyager. And Enterprise.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I know he's seen some of it, but i'm not sure what.
    Just S3 but I watched it with cynical eyes I'm afraid

That's not like you, Ralph, to make preconceptions on things before you watch them!

I've now finished with the S3 boxset, all the extras are done, and am now ready to resume S4 where I left it on BBC2 a few months back - Remember Me, the 5th episode of S4 is up next. I've also now purchased S6 @ £14.89, so just the one to go now!