Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    BTW, I think I'm right in saying that it's exactly 17 years ago today that the very last episode of "Survival" was transmitted. It really doesn't seem that long, does it.
    Or to put it another way, we're more or less as far away from 'Survival' as 'Survival' is from 'The Three Doctors'.

That's true. It's inevitable I suppose that one's perspective changes as you get older, but I remember when they were repeating "An Unearthly Child" back in 1981 (when it was 3 weeks short of being a mere 18 years old) it seemed to me like some ancient recording dragged up from the dark ages. And when the video of that story came out in 1990, it seemed ages (rather than a little over 8 years) since I'd seen it - in fact, it 'feels' like it's been less time now since the video came out, than it was at the time since the repeat.

Oh dear, this old brain of mine is wearing a bit thin...

Hmmm, I'm still hearing rumours that this won't actually be out in March.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Following on from my earlier post, the official site have confirmed the release date, April 3rd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...07/38750.shtml

I don't think there's actually going to be a March release slot, from what I've heard....
    Last edited by Perry Vale; 7th Dec 2006 at 5:47 PM.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I love 'Survival', and have been looking forward to this for some time, But as Matt said, it would be nice to see a few more Season 24 and 25 releases.

I reckon they'll release either Greatest Show or Dragonfire as the next McCoy. This is based on nothing but wild conjecture.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd rather see Silly Nem than either of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I reckon they'll release either Greatest Show or Dragonfire as the next McCoy. This is based on nothing but wild conjecture.
    oh woopy doo I can't begin to sell you how excited i'd be if these were to be the next stories released..

All very well and good, and very much looking forward to it, but...

WHERE IS TIME AND THE RANI?!

No really, I want it on DVD!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Yes, well said!

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    All very well and good, and very much looking forward to it, but...

WHERE IS TIME AND THE RANI?!

No really, I want it on DVD!

with any luck another 10 years before it's released..

I'm glad about this release. It's a great and still modern feeling story that really captures the feeling of a sunny surburban sunday. Wonder if the JNT archive will yield any treasure.

More importantly will Dame Adele Skeletor Silva be on the documentary?

If they do a special documentary about the story she might appear on that, maybe.

I'd like to see Time and the Rani on DVD too.

It may not be the most highbrow story ever but it's good fun and there are some great actors in it. Even Sylv is passable!

It must have a featurette called "Waving The Magic Wanda" detailing the contribution of Wanda Ventham to Doctor Who and glamour in general.

Si.

I'm undecided on whether I actually like Survival or not. I love the themes in it but I'm not entirely sure it makes complete sense. When I watched it last year it seemed a bit crap.
    Still I might get this because Ainley is great and my video is a bit knackered.

Will one of the features be about how the black cat went on to find fame in Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

There's a nice little piece of 'hand acting' in Survival Paul, when the Master is stroking the cat?

Thats true. Maybe there'll be an extra on hand acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Following on from my earlier post, the official site have confirmed the release date, April 3rd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...07/38750.shtml

I don't think there's actually going to be a March release slot, from what I've heard....

interesting that I've just had a look at the Galaxy 4 web site and they all ready have Survival, up for ptr-order with a release date of March 10th..

Preordered it from play.com, which also says April.
    I am out there... somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Thats true. Maybe there'll be an extra on hand acting.
    Paul & I can still live in hope, this quote from Steve Roberts over on OG....

OK, even though they haven't issued a press release yet, they've said it's OK to talk about the Survival release in general terms. Which means I still can't say very much, but I can tell you that it's a double-disc release, with around three hours of extra features, including three specially made documentaries as well as off-the-shelf material and even something from JNT's private collection.

Steve
    Fan wee alert!

Good, it deserves lots of extras. If they don't include a PDF of the "Dark Dimension" script, the "Dimensions in Time" out-takes and 16mm film inserts from Jon Pertwee's funeral, then I'm returning my license.

Not my TV license obviously, as that has nothing to do with 2 Entertain. My fishing license.

Si.

My replacement cover for the DVD is now available:

You manage to make Sophie Aldred more attractive than in real life.

Si.

Full details now up on the BBC site....
    The two disc release will feature:

Disc 1

Main commentary withith Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and script-editor Andrew Cartmel.
    Second commentary (episode three only). Fan commentary from the winners of a recent Doctor Who Magazine competition.
    Cat Flap - a two-part documentary covering the making of Survival. Part One covers set-up and pre-production, Part Two covers shooting and post-production. With Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Lisa Bowerman, Will Barton, Sakuntala Ramanee and Adele Silva, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Alan Wareing, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker, composer Dominic Glynn and costume designer Ken Trew. Narrated by Paul Ewing.
    Deleted and Extended Scenes - material from the first edit of the story that didn't make the final cut, plus comparisons of some of the scenes before and after the video effects were added.
    Out-takes and comedy moments from the production of the story.
    Continuities and trailers from the original BBC1 transmission.
    Photo Gallery - production and behind-the-scenes stills from the making of the story.
    Isolated Score - option to view the story with synchronous isolated music.
    Radio Times listings in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.
    Programme subtitles and subtitle production notes.

Disc 2

Endgame - Why was Doctor Who cancelled at the end of Season 26? What might have been in store for the Doctor and Ace if the series had continued into Season 27? With Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Ben Aaronovitch and Colin Brake, BBC Head of Drama Series Peter Cregeen, composer Mark Ayres and visual effects designer Mike Tucker. Narrated by Paul Ewing.
    Search Out Science - a schools programme featuring the Doctor and Ace, with Stephen Johnson and K9.
    Little Girl Lost - A retrospective look at the development of Sophie Aldred's character, Ace, from her first story, Dragonfire through to her last, Survival. With Sophie Aldred, creator Ian Briggs and script editor Andrew Cartmel.
    Destiny of the Doctors - Anthony Ainley's last appearance as The Master, in these links from the 1997 computer game.

Survival will be released on 3 April 2007.
    A big 'woo', and even even bigger 'hoo'.