Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Madonna's "Confessions" DVD/CD was pushed back a week. If that helps.

The fans doing the commentary look quite young and trendy in DWM unless they're just fronts for the voices of something ugly ala Milli Vanilli...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    The fans doing the commentary look quite young and trendy in DWM unless they're just fronts for the voices of something ugly ala Milli Vanilli...
    I hope not, as I spent last night flirting with one of them on OG.

And no, it wasn't Niall Boyce...

Captain Tancredi Guest

People seem to think that I'm more cut up about this than I am- if anything, it's probably just my turn to be the one who has a grumble and I've been wound up more by one or two of the responses than anything else. I can just see how things could be better organised given that we're in the year 2007 and we have more tools available to us to help things happen when they're supposed to.

But that's my last comment on this thread.

Slippage of release dates is not something new now that 2|entertain have arrived on the scene. There was outcry when Talons slipped in the schedules four years ago. The video release of The Crusade was delayed by a month back in 1999, and I only found out about that because I went to buy it on the date DWM had published and was told it was delayed.

At the end of the day, annouced release dates are targets to aim for, not definite dates, because the DVDs are still in production when the dates are announced. The only way they could give a definite release date with no chance of it slipping is when the DVD is finished and ready to ship to the distributors, but the consumer can't wait for that. In these days of rapid information transfer via the internet we find out that a story is due for release early in the production process. Once they tell us they're working on it, we want to know when it will be out, so they obligingly give us a target release date, but that's all it is: a target. It's not set in stone, immutable, to be released on this date on pain of death. Things happen unexpectedly. Production machines break down. Batches get damaged in transit. Mistakes are discovered at the eleventh hour. As long as it gets out eventually who cares if the release slips a bit?

I agree with all of that!

Si.

Si agrees with everything I said?

Bzzzzt.... does not compute...... *sound of head exploding*

I hope I'm not THAT disagreeable. Am I?

Am I?

Hello?

Si.

*The sound of tumbleweed passing by....*

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Slippage of release dates is not something new now that 2|entertain have arrived on the scene. There was outcry when Talons slipped in the schedules four years ago. The video release of The Crusade was delayed by a month back in 1999, and I only found out about that because I went to buy it on the date DWM had published and was told it was delayed.

At the end of the day, annouced release dates are targets to aim for, not definite dates, because the DVDs are still in production when the dates are announced. The only way they could give a definite release date with no chance of it slipping is when the DVD is finished and ready to ship to the distributors, but the consumer can't wait for that. In these days of rapid information transfer via the internet we find out that a story is due for release early in the production process. Once they tell us they're working on it, we want to know when it will be out, so they obligingly give us a target release date, but that's all it is: a target. It's not set in stone, immutable, to be released on this date on pain of death. Things happen unexpectedly. Production machines break down. Batches get damaged in transit. Mistakes are discovered at the eleventh hour. As long as it gets out eventually who cares if the release slips a bit?

I'm not bothered one way or the other if a release gets put back a week or two but if this were a one off you would not even give it a 2nd thought
    the truth is there have been more problems with the releases since 2/Entertain took over than we had when BBC World Wide did it them selves.

This is the 2nd successive release to be put back and there have been technical problems with several releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    the truth is there have been more problems with the releases since 2/Entertain took over than we had when BBC World Wide did it them selves.
    Where are your figures to show that?

Ahh.....

This is the 2nd successive release to be put back and there have been technical problems with several releases.
    I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

But there have been technical problems long before 2|E were on the scene.

Earthshock was delayed 2 weeks because the discs were accidentally put in the wrong style box, and didn't have a booklet with it

Vengeance on Varos was missing the production notes on the second disc.

The Three Doctors repeats a short few-second portion of the episode 2 cliffhanger

Remembrance of the Daleks was missing a video effect.

The Seeds of Death was put on 2 discs because someone misread the length of an extra in hours and minutes instead of minutes and seconds. Serendipitous maybe, but the point was it was still a technical error.

The list goes on - to say that the whole thing has fallen apart since 2|Entertain took over is rubbish - last year I don't remember any particular problem - in fact prior to the missing 5.1 music video, the only significant problem on a 2|E disc was the cock-up on the Revelation of the Daleks DVD.

Release dates are frequently put back - I know I'd rather a problem get noticed and the date knocked back a week or two than a substandard release get created, and 2|E saying 'bugger it - we have to get it out on release day or the fans will complain again'. I think people are just out for scapegoats....
    Last edited by Phillip Culley; 7th Feb 2007 at 5:42 PM.
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    But there have been technical problems long before 2|E were on the scene.

Earthshock was delayed 2 weeks because the discs were accidentally put in the wrong style box, and didn't have a booklet with it

Vengeance on Varos was missing the production notes on the second disc.

The Three Doctors repeats a short few-second portion of the episode 2 cliffhanger

Remembrance of the Daleks was missing a video effect.

The Seeds of Death was put on 2 discs because someone misread the length of an extra in hours and minutes instead of minutes and seconds. Serendipitous maybe, but the point was it was still a technical error.

The list goes on - to say that the whole thing has fallen apart since 2|Entertain took over is rubbish - last year I don't remember any particular problem - in fact prior to the missing 5.1 music video, the only significant problem on a 2|E disc was the cock-up on the Revelation of the Daleks DVD.

Release dates are frequently put back - I know I'd rather a problem get noticed and the date knocked back a week or two than a substandard release get created, and 2|E saying 'bugger it - we have to get it out on release day or the fans will complain again'. I think people are just out for scapegoats....
    It seems I stand corrected..

Is this the finished cover here......

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000131184

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It's as you'd expect isn't it.

Two photoshopped pictures in a specific haze of colour.

It's okay.

That is all.

Parp.

Si.

Yep, that's what I expected. Survival is an 'Orange' story.

I thought that Ainley would have made an appearance though.

If they'd flipped the McCoy image, it would have looked like he was going to club Ace over the head.

They may as well have used the book or video cover really.

Si.

Unimaginative rubbish with a bizzare colour scheme that reminds me of red ice lollies.

Where is the Master, for crying out loud? It was never any real secret that he was going to be in this one!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think he's sort of in the sky on the left hand side, but as the cover is side on, it's a bit difficult to be sure.

The book cover remains the definitive Survival image then. hooray!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Play are selling it for 12.99 now, but we're urging you to pre-order with Amazon for the same price and support the forum.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    but we're urging you to pre-order with Amazon for the same price
    Unfortunately, you have to buy something else to get the over 15.00 free postage, which might put people off. I'm amazed Amazon are still getting away with that one.
    However, i will get it from Amazon if i can find something else i want......

can't say i'm that impressed by that cover..

"Survival" has been given a 12 certificate, apparently because it's got a pussy in it.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Full size:

Where's the Master supposed to be then? Under McCoy's hat? People were saying he was on there somewhere. Is it like "Where's Wally"?

..... OH! I SEE HIM! SUBTLE!

Si.