Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Perhaps you had to be there when they played it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Personally I'd take the current TV theme over that version, good as it was.
    I'm sure it's great.

I haven't listened to the TV Theme version because I'm at work - Who made it?
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 21st May 2009 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Keep the peace.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The link PIp put up was the extended version of the current theme direct from the CD.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm sorry if my personal opinion has upset and annoyed you Steve but it is only a personal opinion. I didn't say I disliked it, I didn't say it was rubbish, I just disagreed with your suggestion that it "beats" the current TV theme "into a cocked hat". True, I didn't hear it in the way I was meant to, but I got the general idea.

I don't post my opinions to upset and annoy people, just to express myself, that's all.

That comment really pushed all my buttons. It's inevitable on a forum like this that something will rub you up the wrong way from time to time - it doesn't mean we should fall out or anything. I know you didn't mean it, but it read back as being really belittling and curt. We had a great time at the concert - we thought the theme tune was great - then you come and tell us that we're wrong. I know it wasn't as as strong as that but that was how it felt.

What I liked about the Radiophonic version was that it had the richness of tone and depth of the Murray Gold version, but retained the electronic feel of the original. As much as I like the Murray version, I don't think that the Doctor Who theme is quite right as an orchestral-led piece.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

it doesn't mean we should fall out or anything
    Definitely not!

I know you didn't mean it, but it read back as being really belittling and curt.
    It honestly wasn't intended to have that effect. It's good to hear you fight your corner as it were, it's good to read. I wish I could have gone to the gig too because as you know I enjoy listening to the Radiophonic Workshop and their output but sadly time and money prevented it.

It wasn't a bad version, by no means, it was very entertaining and I found it interesting to hear the older generation attempting to rock up the theme like Murray Gold has attempted to (and hey, I love a good synth sound, you know that). Just that for me, the orchestrated version we have now pushes all my buttons and for me the latest version is the best since Delia's 70s version.

Thanks for posting those links Pip - the theme tune one in particular was just brilliant.

It's also led me to the surprising conclusion that the Howell version is my favourite ever, simply because it's the one that I get most nostalgic for. I hated it at first, just for being different, but during the Davison years, every off-air audio began with that music so we must have heard it hundreds of times. My favourite bit probably the swooshing 'waves' as the credits fade away into the beginning of the episode.

Expensive.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

With seven days left this could go all the way!

In theory you could re-create any sound on that device using a modern home computer. But it wouldn't be the same.

I think it's more owning a little bit of Doctor Who history.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    In theory you could re-create any sound on that device using a modern home computer. But it wouldn't be the same.
    I'm sure you're right, but I bet a modern PC wouldn't be as reliable!!!

New Delia Derbyshire Documentary on the way to Radio 4 at the end of the month:
    Radio 4 archive programme being broadcast on Saturday 27th March at 8:00pm

Broadcaster and Doctor Who fan Matthew Sweet travels to The University of Manchester – home of Delia Derbyshire's private collection of audio recordings – to learn more about the wider career and working methods of the woman who realised Ron Grainer's original theme to Doctor Who.

Delia's collection of tapes was, until recently, in the safekeeping of Mark Ayres, archivist for the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

Her realisation of the Doctor Who theme is just one small example of her genius and the programme reveals how the music was originally created as well as hearing individual tracks from Delia's aborted Seventies version.

Matthew's journey of discovery takes in work with influential poet Barry Bermange, as well as her 1971 piece marking the centenary of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
    Sounds really intriguing. I'll be listening in for some Delia rarities and the Delaware theme individual tracks.

Si xx

Don't forget- the Delia Derbyshire Doc is on R4 tomorrow!

Si xx

the Delia Derbyshire Doc
    Hartnell?

Si.

I'll have to catch this, definitely. I wonder if I can persuade Nicola that we should curl up with a bottle of wine in front of the wireless tomorrow evening...?

I wonder if I can persuade Nicola that we should curl up with a bottle of wine in front of the wireless tomorrow evening...?
    Best of luck with that Dave!

Si xx

Date: 12.11.2010
    Category: West Midlands TV; BBC One
    BBC Inside Out will feature a previously unbroadcast interview with the late Delia Derbyshire – the woman who created the iconic Doctor Who theme tune – on Monday 15 November on BBC One at 7.30pm.

In this episode, excerpts of Derbyshire's interview will be heard – which were originally recorded in the late-Nineties by BBC Radio Scotland's John Cavanagh but never broadcast before.

In the interview she reveals that one of the primary influences on her music, including Doctor Who, were the abstract sounds she heard as a child during the Coventry blitz.

Inside Out also features previously unseen footage of Delia later in life at a Doctor Who fan convention.

In the programme, BBC Radio 2 presenter Stuart Maconie looks at her career and explores why the woman herself remains a mystery despite her work influencing the world of electronic music, including Pink Floyd and today's modern dance acts – because, in 1963, hardly anyone outside of avant garde music circles and academia knew electronic music even existed.

But, 47 years on, the Doctor Who theme is probably the most famous piece of electronic music in the world.

Now, her lost recordings, discovered in her attic after her death, are being lovingly restored by the University of Manchester.

BBC Inside Out explores how Delia revolutionised pop music and why she turned her back on music and disappeared. Stuart begins his journey in war-torn Coventry, where Delia grew up, and follows her journey to the Radiophonic Workshop at the BBC. He talks to a range of people, including the man who invented the infamous sound of the Tardis, Brian Hodgson.

Also uncovered in this episode is the revelation that Delia composed music for an astonishing number of landmark programmes of the day, with the original Doctor Who theme being just a small part of Delia's massive output whose style was described in her own words.

Delia says: "Well, the first stage in the realisation of a piece of music is to construct the individual sounds that we are going to use. we can build up any sound we could possibly imagine almost.

"We spend quite a lot of time to invent new sounds, sounds that don't exist already, ones that can't be produced by musical instruments."

As Stuart explains, it was the theme that changed the world and the very first time the public had heard electronic music so who was the person behind it and why was she so important?

He says: "Everyone knows the Doctor Who theme – most of us here have grown up with it. But the techniques developed by one woman to make it have changed the shape and sound of modern music for ever. But the woman herself remains a mystery."

Notes to Editors
    This episode will be broadcast on Inside Out BBC One at 7.30pm on Monday 15 November (West Midlands region) and nationally on BBC iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...rbyshire.shtml

Si xx

If I was a bit nearer and actually free, I'd go to this too: http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.u...cWorkshop.aspx

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    If I was a bit nearer and actually free, I'd go to this too: http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.u...cWorkshop.aspx

Si xx
    That looks good, but alas it's too far away for me to travel to.

We could do with them restaging it somewhere closer to home.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    We could do with them restaging it somewhere closer to home.

Si xx
    I still see Roger quite often on my gigs; I'll ask him to arrange one closer to home!

According to Mark Ayres's twitter feed, members of the Radiophonic Workshop are in the studio recording some stuff at the moment. We have to wait and see what it is, but it sounds intriguing...

Si xx

Does the Radiophonic Workshop still exist?

Si.

Techically not, but the composers are still around and working together from the sounds (!) of it.

Si xx