Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Remember me?

Whilst it’s a huge deviation from the original and prompts something of a Marmite reaction amongst fans, the Keff McCullough arrangement of the DW theme has aged exceptionally well, I think. Listening to it now, it feels very comfortable in its own skin; it’s relaxed, consistent and cohesive, particularly next to Dominic Glynn’s version which sounds awkward, clumsy and cheap in comparison.

It’s amazing how much one’s opinion of these things changes over the years – I used to hate this version purely because I wasn’t that keen on the McCoy era and really didn’t like Keff’s incidental music. But listening to it now, in isolation and judging it on its own merits, it’s really rather good, certainly 100% better than the current TV version which sounds like it was knocked out by a 10 year-old using an old Casio keyboard.

Hello Ant!!

Yes, I like Keff's version too - in fact, I didn't even hate it in the 1980s (tut, and I call myself a fan!). About the only criticism I have of it, which isn't Keff's fault at all, is that it didn't really suit the style of programme they were aiming for in 1989 - but in 1987 especially, it fitted well. It's not a version full of mystery, but that of itself isn't necessarily the be all and end all.

That said, I also like Dominic Glynn's season 23 one EXCEPT the middle 8 bit which sounds like some kind of awful cheap kazoo solo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    like some kind of awful cheap kazoo solo!!

Hi Andrew!

It took me years to notice that he just blasts straight in with the main melody line. That's a totally different arrangement to anything that had gone before and I really like hearing the middle eight in the main titles.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.