Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Paul Mcgann set to return in next years specials!

Todays Sun reports that Mcgann is set to reprise his role as the 8th Doctor in next years Specials (or at least one of them!)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1673189.ece

Could it be true?

What do you think?

I know this subject has been discussed elsewhere but i believe this deserves its own thread!
    ..."Kneel before the might of Sutekh! In my presence, you are an ant, a termite. Abase yourself, you grovelling insect!"...

I hope it's true, I'd love to see more of his Doctor, but I won't believe it until it's actually confirmed as The Sun hasn't been too reliable of late.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

This would be just amazing. If he does return, I hope we get to see his regeneration. Oh, I really am rather excited about this!

Quote Originally Posted by davethesailor View Post
    This would be just amazing. If he does return, I hope we get to see his regeneration. Oh, I really am rather excited about this!
    That would also require the return of Eccleston, which I think is highly unlikely!

I would love to see some Time War flashbacks though!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

well Mcgann's Doctor, certainly deserves more screen time and I hope the story would be a 2 parter...

Looks like it's all a load of Ryan Maloney:

The BBC has rejected tabloid claims that Paul McGann has been cast in a forthcoming Doctor Who special.

McGann portrayed the eighth incarnation of The Doctor in a 1996 television movie and a series of spinoff audio adventures. The Sun claimed that he will reprise the role in a 2009 special written by Russell T. Davies.

The article stated that he is "expected to begin filming in October or November" and will shoot scenes set during the Time War, an event that is key to the current mythology of the revived series.

However, a spokeswoman for the show told Digital Spy: "There is no truth to the story at all."
    Of course, it wouldn't be the first time the BBC lie that something isn't happening when it's rumoured to desperately try and preserve the surprise of it actually happening (Billie's return for example). But it doesn't look likely really does it.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Looks like it's all a load of Ryan Maloney.
    Oh bum-baskets.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Interesting that they don't appear to have denied the story about John Simm and Catherine Tate returning...

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Looks like it's all a load of Ryan Maloney:

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time the BBC lie that something isn't happening when it's rumoured to desperately try and preserve the surprise of it actually happening (Billie's return for example). But it doesn't look likely really does it.

Si.
    Its true we cant always trust the Sun, but like you said, they denied billy pipers return to the show, Mcganns return is twice as big as pipers and i think that the BBC would try even harder to keep his return a secret !
    ..."Kneel before the might of Sutekh! In my presence, you are an ant, a termite. Abase yourself, you grovelling insect!"...

I don't recall the BBC denying Billie Piper's return once it got into the papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    I don't recall the BBC denying Billie Piper's return once it got into the papers?
    I do recall them stating that she wasn't returning in a last ditch effort to keep it a surprise, i maybe wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well Mcgann's Doctor, certainly deserves more screen time and I hope the story would be a 2 parter...
    Totally agree, and i hope that if Mcgann's return is true, that the two incarnations would meet and not just be flash backs!

There was certainly an unequivoval denial of the rumour that Kylie would be appearing in the show... I can't personally see McGann coming back, but I have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I can't personally see McGann coming back, but I have been wrong before

well he's made a brilliant job of the BF and BBC7 audios so perhaps RTD, might just of put out a few feelers to Mcgann, as to weather he wants to do a return. May be Time Crash was just testing the waters but You do feel that the specials would be an ideal oppotunity to do a multi-Doctor story.

Is it not the case that the BBC have never denied something that is true in an official statement? True, Russell and Billie have both fibbed in interviews, but it's a bit different deliberately released an official statement in order to tell a blatant lie. I don't think they would...

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    May be Time Crash was just testing the waters but You do feel that the specials would be an ideal oppotunity to do a multi-Doctor story.
    Seeing as though Time Crash Was an overall success, i believe RTD is willing to do a multi-Doctor story and is trying to tempt Mcgann in.

The Specials are perfect to do this and Mcgann is reported to have said he would consider returning to the role!

I don't believe that getting McGann into the series for continuity's sake is on RTD's agenda at all. The new series stands perfectly well on it's own, so why bother?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't believe that getting McGann into the series for continuity's sake is on RTD's agenda at all. The new series stands perfectly well on it's own, so why bother?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

because perhaps after 4 series it's now time to do a proper multi-Doctor story..

because perhaps after 4 series it's now time to do a proper multi-Doctor story..
    That's like saying that after 4 years it's now time for the show to do some awful CSO episodes. The whole concept of multi-Doctor stories is utterly irrelevant to the modern show. This whole McGann business is just about fans wanting to join the dots between the TV movie and the new series, but it's simply unnecessary.

They'd bring back McCoy to play a dancing space gigolo before they did a multi-Doctor story.

I don't really see why it's irrelevant to do a multi-doctor story. It seems to me that the new series has been happy to embrace the rich history of the show and has not been afraid to bring back old characters. Why not bring back old Doctors? In particular, McGann. I think there is still an excellent story to tell and yes, even if it was just for the sole reason of joining the dots, as long as it was entertaining, what's wrong with that?

Wayne Guest

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but i don't think it will happen, because:

a) No-one outside of fandom gives a shit. Most won't even remember that Paul McGann once played Dr Who in some one off flop film spin off. (That's if they even know who he is at all. His profile hasn't exactly been high in the last decade)

b) Half of fandom doesn't give a shit either.

Personally if they ever want to do a multi-Doctor story, I think the first old Doctor on their list would be Eccleston - without him, I can't really see it working, as he would be such an obvious omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Most won't even remember that Paul McGann once played Dr Who in some one off flop film spin off.
    But the movie wasn't a flop. It topped over 9M viewers here & in America. It only never went to series because the American backers wanted more than 9m viewers & they never got them. It was a huge success here, hence why the BBC made the new series as soon as the rights returned to them in 2005.