Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Tomorrow People - Today

I was looking through the cupboard where we keep the DVD's last month, trying to find a rucksack, when I came across a most startling thing - Simon had taken it on himself to purchase the complete DVD collection of The Tomorrow People! He'd obviously bought it and not told me, because it seemed to just appear in our collection!

After I had got him to admit his crime and thoroughly shamed him, we watched a few episodes while we were on holiday.

The Vanishing Earth - Natural disasters are afflicting the planet, but friends of the Tomorrow People Ginge and Lefty have problems of their own at sinister fairground! A long one, with a lot of repetition over the episodes, paticularly the 'Haunted House' sequence. This does feature the magnificent Kevin Stoney however! And if that's not all there's the wonderful John Woodnutt as Spidron, though he spends the entire story under a blanket. The resolution of the story is also dreadful. Spidron gets away, while the mineral that had been mined from the Earth's core casuing the natural disasters is returned to it's right place by accident as much as design. Bleugh!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Personally I loved The Heart of Sogguth and The Dirtiest Buisness best of all. That could have been because they were actually really good, and pretty well made stories by the normal standards of the show. Good ideas, well exploited and not dragged out beyond their natural length, which seems to drag down most of the early stories.

John is brilliant. How they managed to get Nicholas Young to play it straight I don't know. The lines about him hating discos and loud pop music are brilliantly awful. Some of his deadpan deliveries of ridiculous lines had us in stitches.

Mike Bell is of course the precursor to PS Audio's Rob McCow. It's an obvious inspiration, or would have been if Steve had actually seen the show before we recorded any of the audios.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Iconic title sequence

I like the rubbish characters like Kenny and Hsu-Tai(everyone likes an underdog)

The Blue And The Green,The Dirtiest Buisness and The Living Skins are my faves

Plus the big finish audios are great as well

Wayne Guest

I liked Carol!

(And Michael Sheard as Hitler!)

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I was looking through the cupboard where we keep the DVD's last month, trying to find a rucksack, when I came across a most startling thing - Simon had taken it on himself to purchase the complete DVD collection of The Tomorrow People!
    I suspected this at a meeting a few months back, where he started telling me in detail about some of the Gay agenda in The Tomorrow People, sounding suspiciously like he'd recently watched it!

I liked Carol!
    The last episode that Sammie Winmill was in she appeared in a flashback sequence - She was credited as Sammie Windmill.

There's been some surprisingly good episodes, mostly the ones set on Earth. Secret Weapon and The Dirtiest Business are both brilliant.

Hitler's Last Secret was good too, but it there are some jaw-dropping moments with things they couldn't possibly get away with now. John's revelation of who Hitler really was sent me into palpatations.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Hitler's Last Secret was good too, but it there are some jaw-dropping moments with things they couldn't possibly get away with now. John's revelation of who Hitler really was sent me into palpatations.
    What a missed opportunity that episode was! The perfect chance to draw parallels between homo superior and the master race, and what do we get? Some nonsense about Hitler being a shape-changing alien. So that's alright then.

Wayne Guest

On a similar theme, though nothing to do with The Tomorrow People, i found THIS whilst browsing the net for horror stuff.

They should've incorporated it into 'Brain of Morbius'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    What a missed opportunity that episode was! The perfect chance to draw parallels between homo superior and the master race, and what do we get? Some nonsense about Hitler being a shape-changing alien. So that's alright then.
    It did surprisingly tasteless. If they'd revealed that it wasn't the Hitler, just someone pretending to be him then that might have been OK, but to actually have him be an alien shapechanger from the planet Vashir seemed incredibly crass. It's shame because it was quite an exciting story too.

Secret Weapon was great fun. From what I'd heard the later stories aren't supposed to be as good as the early ones, but that doesn't seem true so far. The later stories are faster moving and seem more tightly plotted for having less episodes.

Oh and Stephen is my favourite character, played by the marvellous PVC!

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Oh yes the 70s, you could still have Nazi bad guys, I remember there was a similar Wonder Woman where they tried to clone Hitler. The very concept seems dated now.

Of course we've an all new evil villain collectors set for the 21st Century - Ossama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussain, Kim Jong-il - gotta stop them all!

Is it true, no Tommorrow People, no Georgina Moffat?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Oh yes the 70s, you could still have Nazi bad guys, I remember there was a similar Wonder Woman where they tried to clone Hitler.
    The New Avengers did the same story...well using the actual Hitler, trying to revive him after an aircraft crash, but still a 70's programme.

Well I caved in and bought the complete box set (for only £14!) I've only seen Episode 1 so far. Okay so the effects weren't up to much but the story has already got me hooked. I'd forgotton how posh Nicholas Young sounded!

And oh that title sequence and theme music

Just about to dip into Ep.2 now......

I have some dim and distant memories of watching TTP when it was first broadcast. What was the name of the episode where there were orange balls invading the earth. Please tell me I didn't dream that

We've almost finished this series and have enjoyed it hugely so far. There are some truly terrible stories and some truly brilliant ones (often in alternate months later on) but what strikes me is, as much as Roger Price seems to write with the primary aim of getting young boys to shed their clothes, he's certainly versatile and every story seems completely different from the last.

Si.

Great quote from Episode 5 of the first story:-

Carol: "Jaunt me up Tim, jaunt me up"

Context is everything isn't it?

That Cyclops creature..... looks like a distant relation to a Vogon. Wish he'd put some clothes on though.......

Default Cyclops

Coo what a dish!

[ I only really have vague memories of the Tomorrow People, and the only episode that I know I watched was the one about Hitler - I don't think I watched to many episodes as I always prefered the childrens programms on BBC1 to those on itv.

Is this the worst portrayal of an American president in the history of TV?

Scratch that, is this the worst performance EVER in the history of TV?

"Those pesky Tomowow People!"

Si.

The monsters were extra crappy in that one too, just to go out on a representative story.

Mike is very easy on the eye in this one though.

Si.

There's always something to help you through an episode of The Tomorrow People.

The President's accent offended me and I'm not even American. Truly payback for Dick Van Dyke. As for the Sorsons...there simply are not words.

Ssssssssspidron recssssssssssieving......

Yes guess which episode I've just watched? (The Vanishing Earth in case you don't know!)

Mostly set at a spooky fairground and haunted house ride. Some good visual effects in the haunted house with the skulls (well, good effects for the mid 70s anyway!) Quite a shocking scene of young Stephen floating face down in the sea. Don't think that would be allowed these days! And always a pleasure to see the marvellous Kevin Stoney adding a bit of much needed gravitas. The story itself was a bit pants though as Mr McCow has already mentioned. How fortunate that Sssspidron can transform himself into a liquid and escape the galactic police.

Loved the scene where all the brain-washed miners suddenly get their mind control back, and are running round like headless chickens trying to escape from the oncoming lava. All those butch, sweaty men in vests with helmets on....it's like chucking out time at Old Compton Street

The audio commentaries are almost as good as the original programme. You get the lowdown on who was shagging who and Nicholas Young's clipped, ever so posh and ever so witty observations. Great stuff!

Loved the scene where all the brain-washed miners suddenly get their mind control back, and are running round like headless chickens trying to escape from the oncoming lava. All those butch, sweaty men in vests with helmets on....it's like chucking out time at Old Compton Street
    It makes a change from the usual scantily clad young boys that crop up in most other TP episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It makes a change from the usual scantily clad young boys that crop up in most other TP episodes!
    Having recently watched "The Blue and The Green" I see exactly what you mean Si!

And that's nothing. Just wait unil you get to A Much Needed Holiday.