Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No end for Big Finish!

Fans of BF's range of Doctor Who audio adventures will be pleased to learn that the new DWM confirms that the company has retained the rights to make Doctor Who stories until at least December 2009.
    Jason Haigh-Ellery says: "I couldn't be more pleased that Big Finsih has been granted a further extension to our license to produce Doctor Who on audio. Doctor Who is once again at the forefront of mainstream entertainment and it's great to able to prduce stroies featuring the classic Doctors for fans old and new."

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

I'm glad they're continuing, even though i'm not intending renewing my subscription.
    They might do more 'Dalek Empire' stuff.

I bet that surprised them! It's probably because the BBC just don't want to do it themselves so someone may as well.

God, they could go on forever!

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd only be seriously interested in a subscription if they got Tom Baker, Eccleston or Tennant involved.

As it is, meh.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Funnily enough, I'm actually giving serious consideration to a subscription for the first time- if my bonus is going to come through this time every year, there's a way in which it does make sense.

I'd only be seriously interested in a subscription if they got Tom Baker, Eccleston or Tennant involved.
    No you wouldn't! I disbelieve thee.
    Come on Ian - join Big Finish. It's much better to subscribe, you don't feel so betrayed when a rotten one turns up as opposed to when you buy it outright! And the hit rate has started increasing lately too. They could well be coming out of the Doldrums.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I think I will do in the next couple of days- to make sure it goes on my January credit card bill rather than the December one. As I say, if I'm going to be getting my bonus in December from now on, it'll more or less cover it without it seeming like a chore and I might be grateful of it if I have lean months next year.

Might also take one of the retrospective six-month subscriptions they're doing on numbers 1-50. There are a couple of gaps which would suit that nicely.

It's all too easy to say "I'd do it if they got Baker, Eccleston or Tennant". Imagine if they didn't have McGann? People would be saying "I'd buy them if they got McGann". That inevitably leads to the conclusion that every star performer is better in theory compared to when they actually appeared - Janey Fielding was far more exciting a prospect for example, before she turned up playing a middle-aged woman who sounded a tiny bit like Tegan. However, there's also an element of taking certain things for granted. McGann is brilliant on audio, every bit as good as the TV Movie promised, and is worth buying for when he gets a good story. Pip would love "Other Lives", I'm sure.

Si.

When this is reported in the new DWM, there is deceptive wording that makes it sound like it's a three year extension - when in fact they already had the rights to 2008, so this is a somewhat odd 12 month extension to that only.

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Possibly Worldwide are only prepared to renew licences on a year-by-year basis nowadays. The position in 2008-9 could be very different, particularly if BF start producing Who for BBC7 on a regular basis.

The position in 2008-9 could be very different
    They might move their recording studios - to the moonbase!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    They might move their recording studios - to the moonbase!
    Only if they could get Lunar Stubbs as a guest artiste.......

Ouch!

Si.

I think with what BF have done over the last 5 or 6 years they certainly deserve another extension to their contract lease I'll probably keep my subscription going as all though we mostly get poor to average stories you do occasionaly get a gem. But oersonaly if I had my choice I think I'd rather see them end the BF's and start up the PDA book range again..

I can't think of anything worse than the audios finishing and another dull old book range starting up. I'd stop purchasing like a shot.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I can't think of anything worse than the audios finishing and another dull old book range starting up. I'd stop purchasing like a shot.

Si.
    lets be honest apart from the odd gem most of the BF's are pretty dull..

lets be honest apart from the odd gem most of the BF's are pretty dull..
    So was the book range when BBC held it. Let's face it, if BF started full length novels, a lot would be written by the same writers that started and continued the downward trend of the EDA's and PDA's

WhiteCrow Guest

Hoping this doesnt become a Big Finish plug, but what do you get for a subscription to them?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Hoping this doesnt become a Big Finish plug, but what do you get for a subscription to them?
    You can do a six or twelve month subscription. If you go for the six month, it's six for the price of five and twelve for the price of ten.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    You can do a six or twelve month subscription. If you go for the six month, it's six for the price of five and twelve for the price of ten.
    And that gets you what?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    And that gets you what?
    The Audio Dramas.

I'm hesistant to ask what you expected to be included in a Big Finish annual subscription Mr WhiteCrowUK!

Si.

I lost interest in these after the first 6 or so - they tended to be far too wordy and a bit complex -what are they like now? Then again , I did get that freebie that was in the DWM last year - A non Doctor one!
    Last edited by Dr Crewe; 31st Jan 2007 at 8:01 PM.

The first six? Good grief, you missed a Golden Age or three! However, that is long gone and the last few years have seen more than a few duffers. Things may be looking up with a complete overhaul of producers recently though, and even the dullest eras have yeilded the odd classic. A bit like "real" Doctor Who on TV, then...

Si.

I have them all up to The Settling - but I have lost the will with BF which is bad as they have done some great stuff.

I have heard Circular Time is worthy - anything else recent been any good?