Default Russell Tovey is the 11th Doctor...well not really.

Its amazing how the media have reported the story that Russell T Davies suggested that Russell Tovey could have been choosen for the 11th Doctor.
    As far as I can work out it was just an off the cuff quip in one of his emails but the media have picked up on it like its a genuine announcement.
    The Metro paper this morning also mentioned that RTD was leaving due to frictions at the BBC which was interesting. I haven't heard about any frictions before.

From what I've read it seems that the 'frictions' were caused by his deciding to leave!

The papers have gone nuts over this book. Peering over someone's shoulder I saw the headline 'JK ROWLING IN DOCTOR WHO SNUB' in The Sun.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And this is only the start- a small part of the book that's been searlised in The Times. I wonder what else is to come.

I think Russell Tovey would be a good choice, but in a few years time, when he's a bit older. I just don't think, even now, that a Doctor in his 20s is a good idea. I know they've all still (just) been older than I am and that that can't go indefintely, but it should be someone in their 30s at least. IMO, of course!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

He was very good in a one off drama I saw on BBC3 where he played a man trying to cope with being a werewolf - I think it was called "Being Human"? Certainly showed he has a decent acting range.

But I wonder if this is in the same vein as "Michael Jayston was going to be the next James Bond", which always gets mentioned when you say the actors name.

Dave Lewis Guest

I hope if he does become the Doctor he'll be performing his classic sixties swing-a-long pop tune "Who's Who".

WhiteCrow Guest

I think to be honest, Russell Tovey is a very exciting name to put in the hat.

The huge problem at the moment is "the cult of David Tennant". Esp when he's on Graham Norton or the Friday Night Project. Women think he's Cassanova. But it's sometimes like watching a sexually charged lynch mob.

I think it's always going to be problematic anyone who takes over from Tennant. But then again I said I didn't think the 4th season would go down too well because it was the first not to have a sexy young companion with the Doctor, and I was well and truely wrong about that.

Perhaps the biggest mistake would be to try to replace Tennant with someone Execs hope women would find psychotically attractive.

Being Human is being made into a series so if that takes off Tovey will have his hands full making that.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I think Russell Tovey would be a good choice, but in a few years time, when he's a bit older. I just don't think, even now, that a Doctor in his 20s is a good idea. I !

Si xx

well assuming Tennent dose do series 5, Tovey, would actually be 30 years old by the time series 6 (assuming we get a 6th series) starts but I think you have a good point about age.

Just like with Tom Baker's successor Peter Davison, who ever replaces Tennent, is going to have a massive pair of shoes to step into and it may well need a n older and more experienced actor to be able too do it.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I think to be honest, Russell Tovey is a very exciting name to put in the hat.

Might as well go the whole hog & cast McCauley Culkin.

At least he's a pretty good gurner.

Actually, i'm showing my age now. I bet McCauley Culkin's older than Russell Tovey nowadays.

I think you're right about Culkin!

But then again I said I didn't think the 4th season would go down too well because it was the first not to have a sexy young companion with the Doctor.
    Well that could be argued. Either way in fact

But then again I said I didn't think the 4th season would go down too well because it was the first not to have a sexy young companion with the Doctor, and I was well and truely wrong about that.
    What about Ben & Polly?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?