WhiteCrow Guest

Default Shopping for a laptop

I'm looking to buy a cheap laptop - doesn't need to be state of the art, but needs to be wireless, and able to run MS Office 2003.

Anyone got hints and tips? Any good places to look for one?

Acer - available from Play and Comet - are pretty good value from what I've seen. I recently sorted mother out with one and she's over the proverbial m. It was about £300 for a decent processor, 2gb of RAM, 15" screen and Vista. I would say 2gb is the minimum for Vista to run well. My PC has 4gb and Vista still limps at times.

One thing I learned is that laptops tend to come with 16:9 screens these days so 15" is significantly smaller than it used to be when they were 4:3.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    15" is significantly smaller than it used to be
    Never was a truer word spoken...

WhiteCrow Guest

Although I know it doesn't handle office applications - anyone tried those Asus EasyPc thing which run on Linux?

Yes. The amount of difference I notice between OpenOffice and MSOffice is round about zero.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd steer clear of Vista if at all possible, stick with XP. Just a personal opinion.

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

I bought myself an Acer Aspire One netbook - but it's been a bit of a disaster. Even I, a seasoned Unix man has struggled upgrading the programs.

So far since Saturday I've had to go back and reinstall the machine 5 times. 3 times today - which means I've had enough of it really. Thankfully I can send it back to Amazon.

In my opinion, ACERs are useless.

Three of the people who lived in my house last year (including myself) all had one, and we'd all bought them at the same time (different models, though) - by the end of last year, all three had broken (and, because they were two years old, they were, of course, out of warranty).

In my opinion, if you want something reliable and durable - get a Dell. It worth the extra

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

WhiteCrow Guest

I loved the Acer netbook, the feel of it. With the Linux system it was very sleek and fast.

But making any software change was difficult, even to an experienced UNIX engineer like myself. Returning it to factory settings (and losing data and software updates) three times in one day was the final straw.

I've gone now for a more conventional laptop now.

It's been interesting - most nights once our son is in bed, my wife catches up on TV, and I go into the spare room to do some research/work/spodding. With a laptop I now can be in the same room as her, and realise some of the really disturbing TV she watches.

I'm using a Packard Bell EasyNote SW with AMD mobile Sempron. It works fine for what I want it for, but it was pricey.